Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Corvette ZO6

Racer 20
11-30-2000, 05:59 PM
What do you guys think about it? It is easilly one of my favorite high proformance cars. Up there with the NSX, Skyline, Supra, RX-7, Camaro SS, M5, Viper GTS, etc.

carman
11-30-2000, 06:22 PM
yeah, corvette z06 is nice. but I prefer Jaoanese cars. What are the Z06's specs? anybody know?
also, a pic would be nice.

enzo@af
11-30-2000, 09:09 PM
the Z06 has 385 hp and 385 ft/lbs. It is simply replacement hardtop with some good modifications. It is lighter, better suspension, and better brakes (similar to a challenge ferrari). http://www.usatoday.com/money/columns/healey/photos/corvette.jpg
It will cost roughly 47,500, just about 8000 more than the base price.

Titanium replaces steel in part of the exhaust system, saving 17.6 pounds.

A pressure regulator in the stability system is 3.5 pounds lighter than before.

Tires, though bigger than a standard Corvette's, weigh 23.4 pounds less.

Thinner Glass completes the package.

----------
"Ferrari isn't a car, it's a lifestyle"
-Enzo Ferrari.

igor@af
12-01-2000, 03:56 PM
When I think of America's ultimate sports car, I think of Corvette. Is this how everybody else thinks?
Viper comes in close second on my list, but Corvette has been around a lot longer.
By the way, I think they should make the next generation look similar to stingray.
http://www.nvo.com/carsofthetimes/nss-folder/myphotos/1975%20Corvette.jpg

I just love the curves on this car! :D

enzo@af
12-02-2000, 12:33 AM
What about these bad boys...
http://www.idavette.net/cars/cerv3.gif

I suggest you look for the Stingray 3 on the net. There pretty cool looking...but nothing like the C3 'vette.:D

----------
"Ferrari isn't a car, it's a lifestyle"
-Enzo Ferrari.

JD
12-10-2000, 03:42 PM
I'm with you Igor, I like the curves of the C3 Vette the best of any they've produced to date.

However, I can't take anything away from Chevrolet/GM for their achievements on the new Z06. They have been tryng to get it to compete with the Viper for years, and as good as the C5's performance numbers have been until the Z06, they wre always a little too far off the mark to be considered on an equal playing field from an enthusiats' point of view. The weight reduction program enacted upon the Z06, coupled with underhood tuning to free up horsepower AND boost the torque output has paid off. How well this Z06 will fair against the revamped Viper to be released in the not-too-distant future reamins to be seen; but it is refreshing to see GM's big money sports car succeed.

Dimex
12-10-2000, 07:37 PM
This isn't to argue, JD, just my opinion...
but one of the especially great features of the Z06 is that it's not really a "big money sportscar". Although it's no econobox, it surely isn't priced out of reach.

----------
1 Corinthians 7:14

JD@af
12-10-2000, 07:45 PM
You're absolutely right, and in some senses it is unfair to compare it to a $70,000+ supercar like the Viper. But it is inevitable. The big gun of GM and the top dog of Daimler-Chrysler (Chrysler division anyways) will always draw head-to-head comparisions. The Corvette steals the show from the Viper every year in the Top Speed Shootout article in Motor Trend for its everyday drivability and of course bargain-basement price when compared to other cars that offer similar performance, usually for tens of thousands more.

vettemaan
12-12-2000, 05:26 PM
Wait tellnext year :) thats all i have to say:) (Bring it on viper!!!!)

vettemaan
12-14-2000, 04:05 AM
Z06-
0-60 4.3
1/4 mile 12.5
Top speed 172:)

----------
Chevrolet Corvette- "Americas Sports Car"
AOL IM- Vettemaan

carman
12-14-2000, 04:30 AM
WOW!!
thats quicker than I thought!!

Gripenfelter
01-14-2001, 05:42 PM
I'd buy a vette if they put the LS6 into the regular coupe.

GWH
01-14-2001, 06:08 PM
The Z06 was produced in a hardtop only version due to the fact that the frame couldn't withstand the 385 ft-lb of torque. The C6 is reported to be a 425 hp version available in hardtop, coupe, or convertible. The 3rd gen Viper is suppose to be producing close to 500 hp. But, IMHO, the 'vette is more bang for the buck. If you look at the price difference, you buy a Z06, drop $10,000 in mods and spank a viper and have money left over:)

NCMR8CMan@af
01-15-2001, 11:39 PM
the Z06 is a beast! I love it! I have driven about 50 or so Z06s and I can not get enough of them. they handle way better than a stock c5. GWH is right on the mobey with his above comment. i have some sweet pics of Z06s and I will post them soon!

Gabe98
01-16-2001, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by NCMR8CMan@af
the Z06 is a beast! I love it! I have driven about 50 or so Z06s and I can not get enough of them. they handle way better than a stock c5. GWH is right on the mobey with his above comment. i have some sweet pics of Z06s and I will post them soon!

You are agreeing Adam, that the standard C5 coupe and convertible frame can not handle the GM spec'd standard torque of the LS6 engine?? I really didn't know that GM made a frame change in the Z06.

:D:D:D:D

NCMR8CMan@af
01-16-2001, 11:05 AM
Ah, I guess it sounded like that. I was agreeing with the fact that Corvette Z06 will never be in a Coupe or Convertible, only in a hardtop. The way I see it is that GM could not sell enough of the Hardtop so they had to put it in this body due to the low volume of sales. The Coupe and the Convertible sell like hot cakes but the Hardtop was a slow seller.

Also the red and blue car in the picture above are 2 prototypes called the CERV III and the COrvette IUndy Concept Vehicle. The Red one in the picture is at the NCM and it a fake car. It is made of Fiberglass and with no engine, well running engine.

GWH
01-16-2001, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Gabe98

You are agreeing Adam, that the standard C5 coupe and convertible frame can not handle the GM spec'd standard torque of the LS6 engine?? I really didn't know that GM made a frame change in the Z06.

:D:D:D:D [/B][/QUOTE]

They didn't. That is why the hardtop only version was used. with a fixed roof, you have greater structural support. They added hp and torque from the standard C5 LS1. The Z06 is the LS6. They have however added strength to the frame to allow the future C6 to be built with a hardtop, coupe, or convertible. At least that's the plan:)

Gabe98
01-16-2001, 05:06 PM
[/B][/QUOTE]

They didn't. That is why the hardtop only version was used. with a fixed roof, you have greater structural support. They added hp and torque from the standard C5 LS1. The Z06 is the LS6. They have however added strength to the frame to allow the future C6 to be built with a hardtop, coupe, or convertible. At least that's the plan:) [/B][/QUOTE]

If I follow your info correctly, your saying that the new C6 will have a different frame from the C5, and that will allow GM to install an engine with HP and TQ greater than current C5, in the coupe and convertible. I am having a difficult time grasping this one, as I have not seen too many production autos limited in HP/TQ by the frame.

From some of my fellow corvette owners, I find that they are achieving corrected dyno figures in the range of 335 to 476 Torque in coupes and convertibles. This is at the wheels, vs the 385 Torque figure quoted for the LS6, being at the flywheel (approx 330 at the wheels). Is this to say that any mods to the standard C5 engine will produce results that are in excess of the frames safe ratings??

I don't want to belabor this point, just trying to understand the prior postings.

GWH
01-17-2001, 12:26 PM
Gabe,

I see your point and I also know of individuals who have modded their cars to produce greater numbers. The story with the hardtop only version is what GM stated when the Z06 was being advertised. That it was the only version that could retain structural integrity. Frankly, Adam's story makes more sense to me than GM's story:)

Gabe98
01-17-2001, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by GWH@af
Gabe,

I see your point and I also know of individuals who have modded their cars to produce greater numbers. The story with the hardtop only version is what GM stated when the Z06 was being advertised. That it was the only version that could retain structural integrity. Frankly, Adam's story makes more sense to me than GM's story:)

Thanks for the feedback, Gary. I guess in this instance only your car manufacturer (GM) knows for sure. (LOL)

Joe

GWH
01-18-2001, 07:55 AM
So True:D

MrCorvetteZ06
02-03-2001, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by GWH@af
...The 3rd gen Viper is suppose to be producing close to 500 hp. But, IMHO, the 'vette is more bang for the buck. If you look at the price difference, you buy a Z06, drop $10,000 in mods and spank a viper and have money left over:)

True...that is what I did. Borla XR-1 Chrome Tips, K&N with MTI airbox, PAT Ported MAF,bosch plus 4 plugs, underdrive pulleys, adjustable fuel regulator, hypertech proggrammed chip, Gutted cats, 3.73 Rear end gear, 335/30 18" rears, 275/35 18: fronts
Penski adjustable shocks, Lowered 1", B&B Ripper w/ MoMo, Combat/red, MSD wires, custom long tube headers, 75 lbs. shot NOS
All costing close to 10K. I estimate about 450 rwhp.

GWH
02-08-2001, 07:03 PM
Show me a pic of the sweet ride:D Please!!!

SledgehammerVette
02-09-2001, 07:16 PM
It's the best Vette yet!

I love it, and I want one once I get my license!

HeavyRightFOOT
02-11-2001, 11:22 AM
GM also made the Z06 in hardtop to conserve weight (obviosly). They said if they would have put in Coupe form then the Z06 would have been in gas guzzler territory.

MrCorvetteZ06
02-19-2001, 04:42 PM
A pic of my Z06 is in the sig.

Z06Lover
03-20-2001, 07:37 PM
it aint workin....:bandit:

General _Motors
11-27-2001, 06:24 PM
i would buy one its a cool Car

bluevette74
11-28-2001, 08:03 PM
Yo Yo Yo! I heard all about the zo6 and i like it. I havent driven one yet though! I do have a pic of a c3 check out these curves!

z28pwr
11-28-2001, 08:49 PM
The New Z06 Has 405 HP And with some bolt ons you can easily put it up to 450 HP.

Add your comment to this topic!