Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Think I need to change steering knuckle

carjofixer
08-10-2010, 10:18 PM
So I changed the breaks on my 2000 Cherokee Sport. When I was tightening the last bolt on the caliper it stripped. The bolt came out ok but the threads from the steering knuckle (I think) came out also. Do I need to change the steering knuckle or is there a way to get that bolt to tighten?

If I need to change the knuckle is it a giant pain? I don't have a slide hammer and I hear removing the hub can be hard without one. I have experience working on my jeep but never anything with bearings or the hubs.

Airjer_
08-11-2010, 10:00 AM
You can always try a heli-coil first. It will come in a kit. You'll drill out the hole, Tap it, then install the heli-coil with a little tread lock. Then install the caliper.

carjofixer
08-11-2010, 06:38 PM
You can always try a heli-coil first. It will come in a kit. You'll drill out the hole, Tap it, then install the heli-coil with a little tread lock. Then install the caliper.

Thank you, that is an excellent idea. I think I'm definitely going to try that first.

Jmrec100
08-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Helicoil does work. I did the same thing on my Chevy Cavalier. Still driving it. Just take your time and drill straight.

carjofixer
08-15-2010, 10:19 AM
Helicoil does work. I did the same thing on my Chevy Cavalier. Still driving it. Just take your time and drill straight.

Thanks, used helicoil and it worked perfect.

Add your comment to this topic!