Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Head gasket? maybe

kais3
08-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Hello all. I was driving my 96 1.0 3 cylinder manual geo metro last week when it started to hesitate during acceleration in low gears 1st 2nd and 3rd. it ran fine at faster speeds. also my car would start to overheat after i had been running it for a while and then stopped for a short time like to get gas. I would put more fluids in the radiatior after it cooled and it would run fine. I milked it back home and replaced the radiator thermostate and fuel filter. My radiator had a crack in it that i had fixed last winter so i figured that was the problem. nope. after those were replaced i had the same problems just without it overheating untill today. I can not positivly detect water in my oil but it does seem runner ( could not think of a more technical term) I also had the codes read for the check engine light and one said misfire on cylinder one. OO crap i have been through this before, i said. I checked the compression 1st 160 2nd 165 and 3rd 170. all low but within opperating range. replaced the spark plugs and wires still the same problem.

does any one have any suggestions on how to figure this out i am leaning towards head gasket because some were along the way i am losing fluid from my radiator and i have not found any leaks on the hoses.

i will be gone for a few days but would appriciate any thoughts. Thanks guys.

Rooy
08-05-2010, 05:23 PM
When you pulled the plugs, were any really clean or have a greenish tint to the insulator?

kais3
08-10-2010, 10:36 AM
No i wouldn't say that any were especially clean. cylinder 1 and 3 were normal wear, cylinder 2 the wire boot was ripped and the spark plug covered in carbon.

I am going to drain the oil this morning and see what i can see. I rebuilt the engine only 40,000 miles ago.

kais3
08-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Last night i got the head off and low and behold a piece of the head gasket was blown out. I forgot how much fun it is trying to get all of the gasket off of the block and head. the parts should be in by friday and hopefully up and running with no problems by saturday.

Add your comment to this topic!