Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

rear seal--ARE YOU KIDDING ME !!!!!!!!!!!

javatrooper
08-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Need some help here. replacing rear seal. removed rear bearing cap. now book says " push upper seal out" yea right. this thing has been in here 17 years now. I've damaged it enough that there is no way to reuse the upper seal. like I'd do that anyway.

How the hell can I get this f''''' out!

I'm about to explode here. please help before I damage anything. what about burning it out? I'm trying not to remove the whole crank. I'm at my wits end.

mtulett1
08-01-2010, 09:39 PM
try to pull not push, that may help.

Saudade
08-02-2010, 10:34 AM
You need to use a brass drift and a big hammer. Do *NOT* use a steel one as you may damage the journal. Pound on one end, then the other. Aim carefully but really smack it!

If you have help, have the other person rotate the crank by hand using the harmonic balance.

As a last resort, you can loosen (but not remove) the other crank bearing caps so the crank can drop a small amount.

Good luck.

javatrooper
08-03-2010, 12:49 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.

Today I drove 50 miles rt to buy a 1/2" brass punch. Then I cut off a couple of pieces to end up with a small blunt point on one edge of the punch. Easy since brass is so soft. Then I removed the flywheel because it looked like there was pressure on it from my engine stand. Now the crank was free to move. Then I loosen up all of the main bearing caps. I couldn't see it move any but I'm sure it had less pressure on the #7 upper bearing. Hit once with my 3 lb sledge, nothing. Hit once again on the opposite side, hard, and it slid out 1/4 inch. Then grabbed with needle nose and removed.

Very stoked now. I even installed the top seal before I re-tightened the bearing caps. It was still a tight fit.

Sorry if I sounded like a raving maniac but I thought I might have damaged the block yesterday. It turned out it was just the seal that was damaged from my other attempts using steel punch, plastic, and wood all to no avail. I guess what always pisses me off is those one liners like "push out the seal". Those are the ones that always kill me.

Anyway, oil pan is on and off comes the head next. Aloha and Mahalo!

Saudade
08-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.
<snip>
Anyway, oil pan is on and off comes the head next. Aloha and Mahalo!

Glad you got it out OK.

However, you failed to mention it was in a stand. I thought you were laying on your back in a gravel driveway with all sorts of oil and crud falling on your face as you bang on the seal. I'm afraid you only get half-credit for this. ;)

javatrooper
08-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Trust me, I had lots of crap falling into my eyes while pulling this engine and the parts engine where I was laying on some real lumpy rocks.

I also forgot to mention that after I pulled the seal out I discovered some gasket material on one side bonding the seal to the block. I think that is where the problem was coming from.

Thanks again.

mtulett1
08-03-2010, 01:27 PM
don't worry about sounding like a raving lunatic...we all have been there...Atleast i know i have several times. Good work buddy!

Saudade
08-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Trust me, I had lots of crap falling into my eyes while pulling this engine and the parts engine where I was laying on some real lumpy rocks.
<snip>
Thanks again.

lol.... Yep. We've all been there. Admittedly, it's a lot better when your doing it in Hawaii as opposed to pretty much anyplace else in the USA.

Add your comment to this topic!