Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Inner Door Window Seal Clip - Fix ?

DOCTORBILL
07-23-2010, 12:52 PM
Had to remove the inside door panel on The Phoenix to fix the window regulators.

There is a rubber inner window seal that 'hooks' to the door panel via little
bent metal 'clips' that are chinzie and break off easily.

Several of the clips on the front end by the rear view mirror are now gone
and the window seal falls into the slot.

http://alkaspace.com/usr/3754/Inner_Window_Se.jpg

I can still raise and lower the window, but eventually ALL those damned clips
will let go.

Has anyone come up with a fix for this problem ?

DoctorBill

redpepe
07-25-2010, 11:20 AM
i've had the door panel off many times and have not had the problem. i think i'd glue the strip carefully. armorall on all the rubber parts keeps them supple and less likely to stick.

DOCTORBILL
07-26-2010, 12:49 AM
Glue is about all I can think of myself.

Except I don't know of anything that would hold up to the summer heat except maybe Silicone Glue.

I thought maybe Gorilla Glue, but I don't know.

Probably put it on the top of the metal panel and then roll the window up to hold it in place for 24 hours.

DoctorBill

redpepe
07-26-2010, 09:48 AM
i think i'd try 'weatherstrip' glue first. it holds through all the usual heat ranges and resists impacts and rubbing / peeling loads very well. it's basically contact cement but 3m often makes superior products.

to optimize the holding power i think you need to coat both clean contact surfaces completely and then mate the parts wet and hold them in place till set. tape might direct the holding pressure more accurately than the window itself which would tend to 'overturn' or displace the wiper.

keeping the strip clean and supple will reduce the loads on the blade.

gorilla glue is urethane i believe and works best on slightly porous surfaces. it hardens properly with available moisture. it's tough but relatively brittle when cured.

Add your comment to this topic!