Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Hood wont latch

-Jayson-
07-22-2010, 09:15 AM
My hood on my 99 Jeep Cherokee will not latch down. I am not sure exactly what needs to be replaced, i am pretty mechancially inclined so ill be doing this work myself. I sprayed all the joints down with some lubricant but that didnt help. I think the problem is where the cable connects to the part on the hood that connects to both locks. The cable has no spring back for one, when i pull the release lever, it just stays out unless i push it back in.

fredjacksonsan
07-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Sounds like your cable is seized up and is stopping the mechanism from springing back. Check for any kinks in the cable, try lubricating it, and if that doesn't work it should be replaced.

-Jayson-
07-22-2010, 08:20 PM
found it out today, where the cable connects to the two metal links that control the hood latch is in need of some lubricant. Forced it back and the hood latched, glad its only going to be a small fix.

wrightz28
07-23-2010, 08:00 AM
Lube it up tho as you're running the potential to stretch the cable with the next few pulls.

fredjacksonsan
07-23-2010, 03:39 PM
Lube it up tho as you're running the potential to stretch the cable with the next few pulls.

Yup, if you've got corrosion in one spot, it's likely in others as well....lube it well!

Add your comment to this topic!