Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What is the Black Sticky Stuff Holding the Door Watershield Plastic On ?

07-01-2010, 05:56 PM
I just took my door liners off to fix the window regulators.

I would like to buy whatever that sticky Black Goop is that adheres to the
clear plastic water shield between the liner and the outer door.

What is that stuff called and where can you buy a tube.

It remains sticky for years and years w/o drying out.

I know of nothing that will do that - even asphalt hardens after a time !


07-02-2010, 05:14 AM
Water out of the Gulf of Mexico.

07-02-2010, 10:19 AM
hey bill,

thx for asking. i've wondered the same for a long time. the only other adhesive that i've encountered with similar longevity was on industrial corrugated roofing panels that i salvaged. they'd been in the blazing sun for 50 years or more and the sealant was still powerfully tacky and nasty to get off hands and tools.

would love to have a tube of the black stuff also.

i presume you've all heard that they've finally found the rumored engine that runs on water .... as long as it's gulf water.

07-12-2010, 12:35 PM
I do have something - I forgot I had it.
Kind of like Windows XP - you forget stuff if you don't use it....

Came from Shuck's (O'Reilly now) and is in a flat box in a roll and it is black
and feels like window putty. Has slick paper rolled between the 15' long tootsie roll.


This 3M stuff does come in a tube...


Maybe the stuff in the Tube is what is used by the Factory...(?)


PS - I cannot bring this up with either NAPA nor O'Reilly's search engines !

07-15-2010, 03:51 AM
Bill, the stuff that comes in the tube and is usually used for vapour barriers in home construction is called acoustic-seal, or some similar moniker. I agree with you that the 'pre-beaded' stuff with the wax paper is handier. It gets used in window installs, espeacial on mobile constructs. I guess it might be known as glazing sealant but I'm not positive about that one.

Add your comment to this topic!