Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

06 Shift Problem

lucas_wojo
06-27-2010, 07:22 PM
I have an 06 automatic hhr and it wont let the key turn to the off position and wont realease the key. The Transmission does go into park, but you can shut the power off. The engine does shut off but nothing else will happen. Has anyone had this problem? Please post any information you can. Thanks.

twayne24
07-22-2010, 01:05 PM
Never had that happen in my 2008 hhr but somethimes if the key does not go in, if I you move the steering wheel back and forth it will lock in and take the key. Does not happen often. Worth a try.

n2racing
08-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Needs a shifter to get new Brake Transmission Shift Interlock Solenoid. Available at GM only. If you are adventurous you can take the shifter out and repair the broken wire to the solenoid. Typically the problem on Gm cars with this symptom.

Tech II
08-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Is the key in the column or dash?

If column, on some GM vehicles, there is a Park Lock solenoid in column.....there may be a hole or access cover that can be removed, to stick a small screwdriver to depress the plunger on the solenoid, then the key can be removed.....

As the guys have said, could be the BTSI solenoid on the shifter, or a wire in the harness to the solenoid is broken(see this a lot)...

Add your comment to this topic!