Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 dash, lies

wrightz28
06-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Does the temp gauge get it's signal from the ECM or a seperate sending unit?

Problem is, the secondary electric radiator fan has been finicky for some time and ran like there was excessive resistance in the circuit, not the fan itself, but it atleast ran at say 50% speed. I was going to hard wire it with a switch and just be done with it, but never got around.

Well, we were on our way to the ballgame in traffic, and oh about 98 degrees, so naturally it was running a bit on the hot side @ 220*. Normally it would have cooled to around 210 and then gone back up and cycle that way. This time it didn't and stayed at "220*", solid, so I popped the hood and put the heater on.

Next thing you know, power is down badly, so I knew something wasn't right and then the "check gauges" lit and the temp gauge jumped from 220 to 250 :O

While I had it pulled over and cooling down, I ran the gauge display test and the gauge has full motion in the test. :rolleyes:

wrightz28
07-07-2010, 09:02 AM
Just to follow up:

-12" electric fan, $50.99 on debit Mastercard
-30A inline fuse ,$4.99 on debit Mastercard
-24' of 14gu wire, $6.99 on debit Mastercard
-35A rocker switch (that my kid proclaims I put nitrus in to his friends :rolleyes: ), $4.99 on debit Mastercard.
-Sitting in "rush" hour traffic for 45 minutes creeping along, 102F ambient temp, and showing 205-210 on gauge, no check engine light due to running rich from extreme temp while getting 2 extra MPG, and not having to have the cabin heater on to keep it all cool: PRICELESS. :cool:

fredjacksonsan
07-08-2010, 07:03 AM
Schweeet!

Add your comment to this topic!