Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Confused?!?

JeenyusVR4
06-08-2010, 08:46 PM
i have been having 2 different problems that i havnt seen before. the first is when i rev the car up (i have a 92 vr4 with minor bolt ons) nd the rpms drop back down to idle a little bit of white smoke come out the exhaust, but only when the car gets back down to idle. i know that usually white smoke is an indicator of burning coolant so i checked my oil for a blown head gasket but nothing.

the second problem is while driving in boost or not sometimes the car just bogs out almost like a hard misfire but it doesnt happen all the time. When in WOT it seems to misfire/backfire quite a bit. I have a MBC set at around 13 and gapped plugs to .035 right now which shouldnt hit fuel cut or spark knock correct???

Any advice would be greatly apprectiated!!

Stealthee
06-08-2010, 10:49 PM
I guarantee its NOT white smoke. So many people have confused oil smoke as being white its ridiculous.

If plugs are fouled, or there is any issue with ignition components you could easily get spark blowout.

Do you have a datalogger? If not, get one.

JeenyusVR4
06-10-2010, 04:08 PM
ok thanks man but i dont really understand what u meant by it not being white smoke?? i checked the oil in the case a blown head gasket and havin coolant in the oil. but ya i have fairly new plugs wires and coilpacks.

Polygon
06-10-2010, 05:25 PM
What he means is that it isn't smoke, it's steam. Also, just because you didn't find coolant in the oil doesn't mean that your HG is fine or a head isn't cracked. Check for hydrocarbons in the coolant.

AS for the plugs, he's suggesting they're fouled. They can foul in a VERY short period of time. If they're fouled then the spark is weak. At WOT you can get spark blowout. This is where the cylinder pressure actually blows out the spark before it can ignite the air/fuel mixture.

I would suggest checking those two things first.

Stealthee
06-10-2010, 05:25 PM
ok thanks man but i dont really understand what u meant by it not being white smoke?? i checked the oil in the case a blown head gasket and havin coolant in the oil. but ya i have fairly new plugs wires and coilpacks.
Fact remains that 85% of people who are having valve stem seal issues make a post and call the smoke white. When its a valve stem seal issue it is obviously burning oil. Oil doesn't burn white.

If its a fuel issue it will be greyish.

Girly VR-4
06-11-2010, 10:14 PM
it's most likely valve stem seals.

JeenyusVR4
06-17-2010, 01:06 AM
so i just checked my ECU and all three of the capacitors are leaking!!I wanna fix this problem then buy the tune up kit from 3sx just to eliminate some options.

If any one has some advice on whether to repair or replace would be most appreciated.

Girly VR-4
06-20-2010, 10:49 AM
http://www.avproecm.com/

Hans_GZP
06-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Your plug gap is also too large. You will start to get spark blow out. Gap them plugs to 0.032 at the most... 0.028 will work great.

JeenyusVR4
07-02-2010, 12:42 AM
thanks Hans ill try that for sure! Ill let u know how it works.

Add your comment to this topic!