Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2011 Sonata GLS

CFLCOLTFAN
06-08-2010, 06:26 PM
My wife pulled into the garage this afternoon and began blowing the horn to get my attention. I went out to investigate and found she could not put vehicle in park. I got in and tried myself with the same results. It felt as if the shifter ball was coming loose from the shifter shaft inside the leather boot.
I eventually held in the shift button and popped the ball back on shaft and now it seems to work. Has anyone had this problem? Do you think I should take it in to be looked at? It has 1400 miles on it, great car!

Bear
06-08-2010, 07:30 PM
If this is an automatic, Before you take her in, check the owners manual on resetting the shifter. There is a port on the console just forward of the lever that allows you to reset the shifter. Procedure is laid out in the owners manual, but basically requires you to lift the cover over the release and with foot on brake and ignition on, push the release lever down wiht a small flat bladed screwdriver and hold it down while putting car in Park, after that all should be well. But, check your owners manual for the corrrect procedure.

Add your comment to this topic!