Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Gearshift Shaft Seal leaking...

funracer
06-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Anybody changed one of these?

Where do you get the replacement seal?

Thanks

brivers
06-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Got mine at the chevy dealer. Haven't changed mine yet but my plan is to grind weld and remove shaft fork, replace seal, then reweld fork back on. Otherwise you will have to remove and disassemble the transmission. Don't forget to order the dust boot to.

funracer
06-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Got mine at the chevy dealer. Haven't changed mine yet but my plan is to grind weld and remove shaft fork, replace seal, then reweld fork back on. Otherwise you will have to remove and disassemble the transmission. Don't forget to order the dust boot to.

Maybe you could take and post some picks?

There certainly should be an easier/better way to do this. I thought about using some type of Stop Leak for trannys. What have I got to lose? If it does not work I will
be shopping for another trans (and clutch while I'm at it) anyway.

Thanks

brivers
06-10-2010, 08:00 PM
I can assure you that there are only two ways. The way I suggested, or transmission disassembly. You can try some type of stop leak but it won't work. If it was a static seal ( one that doesn't involve any moving parts) I would say try it, but its not.
So if you don't have the capability of cutting and welding, then I would pull the tranny before it is ruined and replace the seal. While its apart replace the input shaft seal also because that requires splitting the case. Good luck.

doug2060
06-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Are you talking about a manual or auto trans? Are you referring to the cable from the shifter that goes into the trans beside the dipstick tube? For that one you will have to drop the pan and remove the cable (easy) it should pop right out then and replace the o-ring. Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!