Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 Transport 3.8 Fuel Pump Relay Location

500hpgtx
05-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Hi guys,

I am getting long crank times on cold start up with fast restarts.

I cannot hear the fuel pump run on key on. I assume that the fuel pump relay is possible bad. Could you let me know where it is? Thanks KEV

LMP
05-16-2010, 06:28 PM
http://www.avigex.ca/xport/relays.jpg
...behind passenger side headlight (based on '93 shop manual)
..the symptom you describe can be caused by loss of 3x crank signal ....

500hpgtx
05-17-2010, 06:46 AM
Thanks Louis for your quick help. I would assu7me that the 3x crank signal is initiated by the crank position sensor..I beleive was replaced when Pontiac had trouble with the dreaded "pink" wire=bad crimp for the MAF sensor at the firewall connector......
If bad does the balancer have to be pulled to replace the CP sensor?..thanks KEV

LMP
05-17-2010, 05:46 PM
Well in my case, the 3x signal was simply not carried forward by the IGNITION MODULE.....I had used an oscilloscope to pinpoint the problem...then tested the ignition module on the bench to identify the culprit....however, there might be another cause to your problem, but I wanted to make you aware of one possibility....
www.avigex.ca/xport/IgnitionModule.jpg
ANd yes, the balancer must be removed to change the crank sensor. IN fact, I had gone through this to no avail before turning to the ignition module. I had already identified the absence of the 3x signal AFTER the ignition module....but I had not tested the signal BEFORE the ignition module..I would have then found the 3x signal to be OK before....my mistake...but anyway, I'm glad I have changed the crank sensor because so many go haywire at that age and I concluded I had greatly improved the reliability of the car after that, in spite of having it done by mistake.

500hpgtx
05-21-2010, 07:29 AM
Hi Louis,

Before I purchased a new relay, my friend at Pontiac asked me to remove the gas cap while the key is turned on to hear fuel pump operation.
I did not hear anything from the tank. He also asked me to feel the relays for the clicking sound of engagement. The fuel pump relay engaged,
but obviously no fuel pump run at "key on". He said that even though the
contacts engage, they could be shot. I apreciated that I did not have to deal with using a VOM with all the other challenges I am facing recently.

The new relay was one of the easiest installs I have seen yet on a car. Right in front, and just swap it in. That is one of the real reasons I like this van so much........you can still work on it yourself.

It is notable how much quieter this pump is than on my grand prix.
I recently modified my GTX with a Racetronix=wallbro, that was more than
a little involved..thankful it worked OK........thanks again for being ther LMP...your extensive knowledge and database are invaluable. KEV

Add your comment to this topic!