Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Got A R34 At Last !!!!

Pages : [1] 2

primera man
09-23-2001, 08:31 PM
At last i got my GTR34 by Tamiya.
Plus i brought 2 off them !!!!!:finger: :finger: :finger:

Anyway i could not help myself as they have got a sale on so i got 2 of them and if anyone of you guys do want one i sell it for $50NZ = $20US and i'll post it out to you.
Let me know.

Cheers

S Brake
09-23-2001, 10:21 PM
Me me me me me me me!

Guiddy
09-24-2001, 02:13 AM
Good for you, plus I get to keep mine!!!:D

primera man
09-24-2001, 03:59 AM
Dave....you have email :)

S Brake
09-26-2001, 04:39 PM
Warren you have a bunch of PM's from me, sorry i'm such a pest. i finially got an R34, i used the buy it now option on ebay so i would get it for sure! it will take a while though, the car is in hong kong....

primera man
09-26-2001, 06:39 PM
No problem. :) :)

Guiddy
09-27-2001, 03:12 AM
What are the plans for your R34 Warren? Any colour decisions?????

primera man
09-27-2001, 04:05 AM
I think i just go for the Blue as thats the colour i like on them. In one of the other threads it was said about the metalflake. I was thinking of the Tamiya TS19 Metallic Blue. What do you think ?

The other...maybe a red.

Guiddy
09-27-2001, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by primera man
I think i just go for the Blue as thats the colour i like on them. In one of the other threads it was said about the metalflake. I was thinking of the Tamiya TS19 Metallic Blue. What do you think ?

The other...maybe a red.

Surely TS-50 is closer! But still a bit weak on the pearl effect, though the flakes are scale!!!

I quite fancy a white one, as the grey wheels would look great. But I will probably end up doing Harvest Silver as I have one in GT3 and that looks superb!!!

Jay!
09-27-2001, 01:55 PM
I think I'm going to back up Guiddy on the color here. When I did my MR2 I used one of the blue sprays and was totally dissapointed. Then I went and got the other, and it looked great, even over the first shade of blue. Sorry, but you'll have to wait 'til I get home tonight so I can confirm which was which. :rolleyes:

Chris
09-29-2001, 12:52 PM
What types of paints do you guys use?? Can you get metallic colours??

primera man
09-29-2001, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Chris
What types of paints do you guys use?? Can you get metallic colours??

99% of my cans are Tamiya ones.
They do a huge range and do metallic ones too.

I've found them to be the best by a long way. Other brands seem to blow out to much paint and dont have enough pressure in them and you end up with big runs if your not careful.

Jay!
09-29-2001, 05:07 PM
Most of my cans are Tamiya, too, but I stll have some Testors cans in basic colors floating around. Black, white and silver, I think. I also used a can of Gunze Sangyo paint once. That's some good stuff, too, but really expensive!!!

Jay!
09-30-2001, 12:02 AM
I keep forgetting to ask. Who was the eBay seller you bought your Skyline from?

Chris
09-30-2001, 05:23 PM
99% of my cans are Tamiya ones.
They do a huge range and do metallic ones too.

I've found them to be the best by a long way. Other brands seem to blow out to much paint and dont have enough pressure in them and you end up with big runs if your not careful.

Thanks ;)

S Brake
09-30-2001, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Silver S2000
I keep forgetting to ask. Who was the eBay seller you bought your Skyline from? I forgot what his username was, but his real name is Tang Wai Tim, i can give you his full address too if you want.

Jay!
09-30-2001, 08:03 PM
Was it like "sleeperbrad" or "johnsontang?"

I know. What's your ebay name? I can look it up that way... :D

S Brake
09-30-2001, 08:06 PM
it was johnsontang, how did you know that?????

Jay!
09-30-2001, 08:08 PM
There's a bunch of HK sellers right now, and I've avoided them because of the shipping costs. But, on the other hand, their prices are super-low. Let me know how your transaction goes, please.Originally posted by snowboarder927
it was johnsontang, how did you know that????? :uhoh: s.t.a.l.k.e.r. :uhoh:

S Brake
09-30-2001, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Silver S2000
There's a bunch of HK sellers right now, and I've avoided them because of the shipping costs. But, on the other hand, their prices are super-low. Let me know how your transaction goes, please.:uhoh: s.t.a.l.k.e.r. :uhoh: Will do! although i'm sorta sour cause i just found this new hobb store and i could have had the guy order it for me. it would have been cheaper and gotten here faster.

Chris
09-30-2001, 08:52 PM
This sucks! There are no good hobby stores any closer than toronto for me.:( :mad:

primera man
10-01-2001, 03:42 AM
I'm amazed that you guys have so much trouble getting kits. I thought there would be a model shop on every corner in the USA.
:confused: :confused:

Chris
10-01-2001, 01:18 PM
Why do you think that?? I wish there were, I love model cars.

primera man
10-01-2001, 05:18 PM
Why do you think that?? I wish there were, I love model cars.

When i read any model book that comes from the USA there seems to be pages and pages of shops listed in the back of these books.

Heep
10-01-2001, 05:28 PM
Try looking under "Hobbies" in the yellow pages. That's what I did...there should be AT LEAST 1......

primera man
10-03-2001, 05:33 AM
Well i'm well under way with the model now...here's a pic of some of the painted bits so far.
This is such a great kit...good detail and a joy to work on so far.

DVSNCYNIKL
10-03-2001, 12:58 PM
Hey Warren, question for ya. Just out of curiosity, do you put a coat of clearcoat after applying the decals?

If not, something to consider.:D

Guiddy
10-03-2001, 01:29 PM
I am putting Carbon Fibre decal on the undertray of mine!

IT'S BLEEDIN' DIFFICULT!!!:mad:

But I will get there!
I am also making a Nismo exhaust for it!

All this whilst waiting impatiently for the lacquer to harden so I can polish it!

primera man
10-03-2001, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by DVSNCYNIKL
Hey Warren, question for ya. Just out of curiosity, do you put a coat of clearcoat after applying the decals?

If not, something to consider.:D

I have never really been a big fan of clearcoats since i sprayed one of mt BTCC Volvo's and it melted all the decals. I still dont know why it done it. So i have never bothered doing it again.

primera man
10-03-2001, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Guiddy

I am also making a Nismo exhaust for it!

Looking at the kit,its what it lacks....a nice big fat tip.

Post some pics up Dan when you have it done. I want to do mine with a single instead of the straw sized twins :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Guiddy
10-04-2001, 06:54 AM
Hmmm...Okay! But prepare to want one!!!:D

primera man
10-04-2001, 06:58 AM
Damn you.....now i want one too !!!

Looks great...nice work :) :)

DVSNCYNIKL
10-04-2001, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by primera man

I have never really been a big fan of clearcoats since i sprayed one of mt BTCC Volvo's and it melted all the decals. I still dont know why it done it. So i have never bothered doing it again.

Well, I guess it depends on which one you used. I used Testors when I used to build them and would use it only after the decals had sufficient time to dry. It gave the effect that the decals were painted on. You get no edges and such. I'm getting ready to scan some old pics of models I built back in tha day.

primera man
10-04-2001, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by DVSNCYNIKL

Well, I guess it depends on which one you used. I used Testors when I used to build them and would use it only after the decals had sufficient time to dry. It gave the effect that the decals were painted on. You get no edges and such. I'm getting ready to scan some old pics of models I built back in tha day.

I used the Tamiya clearcoat and had waited 10-12 days before i sprayed.
God knows why it done it.

Guiddy
10-04-2001, 07:03 AM
Here is another shot showing the complete exhaust.
I started by removing the seam lines down the manifold, making it look more like a performance exhaust.
The catalytic converter is standard, then piping was used to extend the exhaust back from where the old one narrows.
The silencer is off a spare S2000 and the tailpipe is from Hobbylink, #115, A'pex N1!

Guiddy
10-04-2001, 07:17 AM
A few of you (Warren!) have asked about lowering this car!
My blue R34 has been very slightly lowered.
This is a pic of how the standard suspension should sit...

Guiddy
10-04-2001, 07:22 AM
And this is how mine sits.
It is no more than 2mm lower, but it gets rid of the gap between arch and tyre, plus I needed it a little lower to go with the Nismo suspenion I fitted!:D

I am polishing this today BTW! Should be finished very soon!

primera man
10-04-2001, 07:25 AM
Thanks for that info Dan

DVSNCYNIKL
10-04-2001, 08:17 AM
Now that is a very nice looking Skyline. You should have that guy that takes pictures of models and makes them look life size, take some of your Skyline.

Chris
10-04-2001, 11:05 AM
Nice skyine! Do you have any tips on keeping dust from getting in under the paint??

DVSNCYNIKL
10-04-2001, 11:17 AM
My only tip would be to try and paint the body someplace that is very clean. I used to use an air filter in my room when I built. Before I began painting, I would turn it on for an hour. It would filter out the air and Ionize it or iodize it...err..something like that. Got perfect results all the time. But that was just what I did, not recommending you go out and buy an air filtration system.:)

primera man
10-05-2001, 02:24 AM
Nice skyine! Do you have any tips on keeping dust from getting in under the paint??

I only spray on a nice still day.

You have to get the body as dust free as you can by brush etc then paint it.

I stick mine in the microwave as soon as i have finished and just leave it there for 30-45 minutes. Its a good dust free area.

Chris
10-05-2001, 01:06 PM
Microwave....Genius. Thanks.

primera man
10-06-2001, 08:55 PM
Update on my that im doing.

The body is primmed

primera man
10-06-2001, 08:58 PM
inside

primera man
10-06-2001, 08:59 PM

primera man
10-06-2001, 09:01 PM
underneath...everything just falls into place so nice !:D :D

Guiddy
10-07-2001, 03:35 AM
Damn, I gotta do one in white! That looks wicked!

But Warren, I see a twin pea shooter exhaust!!! Urgh!:D
Don't forget the heat staining!

Chris
10-07-2001, 10:30 AM
heat staining???

primera man
10-07-2001, 11:23 AM
Damn, I gotta do one in white! That looks wicked!

But Warren, I see a twin pea shooter exhaust!!! Urgh!:D
Don't forget the heat staining!

Pea shooter...LOL I want to do a tip the same as your one....but i just want to get this one finished...maybe on the next one !!!

I might try that staining as you said...see what happens as i've never done it before. :D :D

Chris....what we mean is on the exhaust you paint it so it looks like a real exhaust that gets hot on the bends etc...similar to bike headers that are chromed and they get that blue look to them.

Guiddy
10-07-2001, 01:37 PM
My R33 suffers from Pea Shooter syndrome!

but like you say, you want to finish them and move on! I find it really hard to go back to a kit!

No MIGHT with the heating staining! you WILL!:D

primera man
10-07-2001, 02:47 PM
I hate this when it happens.....got 1 coat on the body......have i got enough to do a second.........hope so ???

Start spraying and then run out half way and the model shop dont open for another 1 hour..... bastard !!!!

Guiddy
10-07-2001, 04:33 PM
Hehehe!
Hey, Warren, I have a can of TS-50 here!

I just finished polishing mine, but unfortunately watching Kylie too closely has meant polishing too much at the bottom of the door, so I have to do some touching up and re-lacquering!
Trying to get the paint right has been the real achilles heel of this kit!:mad:

I am glad you went for the gunmetal wheels in the end!:D

primera man
10-07-2001, 06:11 PM
Hehehe!
Hey, Warren, I have a can of TS-50 here!
I am glad you went for the gunmetal wheels in the end!:D

Just finished the 2nd coat after getting another....thanks though Dan !!!

Darn....everytime i go to that model shop i always seem to buy more then i need.

Had to do the wheels like you said. :D :D

Guiddy
10-08-2001, 02:36 AM
I'll be adding the black on the front spoiler and the window rubbers today.
After that it is final assembly!:)

S Brake
10-08-2001, 04:16 PM
Hey dan, whats the code for that blue you used on your R34, i might be going to the model shop to get some primer and brushes, i'm going to check if they have any there...if not, do you know the code for the same paint only by testors?

Guiddy
10-08-2001, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by snowboarder927
Hey dan, whats the code for that blue you used on your R34,

I used a Lesanol Basecoat available from Automotive paint suppliers!
If you want to use that let me know!
Testors? Haven't got a clue!

S Brake
10-08-2001, 05:35 PM

I used a Lesanol Basecoat available from Automotive paint suppliers!
If you want to use that let me know!
i guess i could give that a go, how much does it run and where would i be able to pick it up?

Guiddy
10-08-2001, 06:11 PM
It would be easier to use Tamiya TS-50! Can you get that?
If not, the paint I used was Nissan Intense blue. I got half a litre from my local supplier, costing £16! Ask for Basecoat!

JE123
10-08-2001, 06:41 PM
It would be easier to use Tamiya TS-50!

Is that Mica Blue?

Add your comment to this topic!