Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Changing Air Filter

gcollector2002
12-25-2004, 02:13 PM
Hello

I know where the air filter is, but I cant get the cover far enough away to remove the air filter.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2002 Chevy Venture 6 Cylinder

Thanks

'97ventureowner
12-25-2004, 10:49 PM
I, too had difficulty the first few times I tried to remove or check my air filter. I have found that you need to make sure the clips are opened and separated from the housing and gently pull upwards on the housing to remove the tabs on the bottom from their slots. From there you should be able to view the filter and remove it. I ruined the first couple filters I attempted to remove to either check or replace. After doing this a few times, you should get the hang of it, and be able to separate the housing and remove the filter undamaged. To reinstall, make sure you install the part of the housing with the tabs into the slots, and then you will be able to close the housing and "flip" the clips to seal the unit. I have found through experience that if you do not align the tabs into the slots, the clips will not seal the housing properly causing air to get into the housing without being filtered. The unit that houses the air filter will also not look right as there could be gaps where the 2 parts come together, and possibly the clips will not close all the way. You will know you did it correctly when you are able to snap the clips easily into place to lock the housing together.

gcollector2002
12-26-2004, 06:41 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Did you have to bend/twist/abuse the air filter for removal. Even if i pull up on the cover, the bottom part of the cover is still going horizontally across the filter.

It might also be hard for me to move because it was very cold outside yesterday.

More advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

'97ventureowner
12-26-2004, 09:36 PM
Yes, I had to really work at getting the filter out the first and second times I went to check and replace it. I think the longer the filter stays in the housing, the more difficult it is to extract it when it comes time to do so. I ended up damaging the pleats of the air filter element, and ripping the outside edge (made of a rubber/foam like? material.) I have noticed since I had trouble the first two times in changing the filter, the rest of the times I attempted it, I was more successful in not damaging the filter. I also own 2 1997 Ventures, and have noticed the one with more miles (60,000 difference,) is easier to work with. Probably since it has been done more often, and the parts are "wearing in" from being manipulated in the process of changing the air filter. I would reccomend to someone attempting to just check their air filter for the first time to have a new one on hand just in case they have problems getting the old one out and end up damaging it.

'97ventureowner
12-26-2004, 09:44 PM
One other thing I thought of as I was finishing up my last post above, was if it would be a good thing to smear a little vaseline or clean grease on the edges of the air filter before it is installed in the housing. One of the times I was attempting to replace my filter, the edges of the filter stuck to the housing and separated from the filter body, leaving parts of the foam/rubber attached to the housing. By putting a little grease on the edges, it would prevent the situation from reoccuring, and make it easier to remove the filter. I'll have to try that the next time I change the filter to see if that works. If anyone has done this already, I would appreciate hearing from them to see if it worked for them, or made no difference at all.

ggcatt
12-28-2004, 06:37 AM
I've found that removing the rubber connection between the air filter housing and the engine inlet makes changing the filter easier and much less prone to damage. You have to remove the band clamps and pull the rubber connection off, and then be sure to get it back together and sealed properly, but it's worth the effort.

gcollector2002
01-05-2005, 06:16 PM
Thanks for all the help. Removing the rubber hose worked best.

base11
03-08-2005, 05:20 PM
HI

I am now trying to change my 2001 Venture air filter and what a pain. I never thought I would have to ask someone how to get an air filter out.

For sure you have to take this hose off but do you disconnect both clamps and take the hose right off or just the bottom or top and try to separate the hose from there. (bottom being the part attached to the air filter housing)? There's enough gadgets and cables attached to this hose?

thanks

pastaben
03-05-2007, 03:16 PM
I know the processes to replace air filter. However, I undid the the clamps to the module, and could not get the intake hose to budge, so on one of my Ventures, I was able to move the housing cover enough to squeeze a new filter in.

On my 2004, I could not get it open enough, but did peek at the one that's in thee and it looked fine, so I'm nog going to change it right now.

But, how can I get the intake hose off of the air filter housing without damaging it? I was barely able to get a wrench in there to undo the clamp. Once I did it, I could not move the darn thing.

Thanks for your help.

Add your comment to this topic!