amp wiring...how to

white97ex
02-19-2002, 03:45 PM
ok a friend of mine had a guy wire up his amp..but there is no switch. could someone post up a picture or give some instructions on how to wire the amp with a remote switch. the way it is set-up, he has to pull the fuse apart to shut the amp off.....which, i am sure is not good

Swonder67
02-19-2002, 04:31 PM
just attach the "remote" terminal on the amp to either the remote wire on the head unit harness, or to the cig adapter.

white97ex
02-19-2002, 08:52 PM
so that is what the remote wire coming out of aftermarket HU's are for....hehehehe.....what guage wire should be used....if he wants a switch to turn it on, does he just wire the remote lead to a switch or what?

sparq
02-20-2002, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by white97ex
so that is what the remote wire coming out of aftermarket HU's are for....hehehehe.....what guage wire should be used....if he wants a switch to turn it on, does he just wire the remote lead to a switch or what? Yes thats what that blue "remote" wire is for :)

And yes, for a switch you wire it from the headunit to the switch, then from the switch to the amp. Guage doesnt matter, as its only a tiny amount of current.

Swonder67
02-20-2002, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by white97ex
so that is what the remote wire coming out of aftermarket HU's are for....hehehehe.....what guage wire should be used....if he wants a switch to turn it on, does he just wire the remote lead to a switch or what?

It's one of the wires coming out of the harness. Look in the head unit manual at the instructions, and it should be labeled "remote" or something like that. I wouldn't use a switch, it's easier to just wire it to the remote lead on the head unit harness, or the cig adapter.

white97ex
02-20-2002, 08:25 AM
awesome..thanx......oh yeah..one more hting...i am not sure if he has an aftermarket HU it is in a early to mid 90's (i think) toyota tacoma pick-up truck. if it has the factory HU does it still have a remote wire.. or is there another way he needs to go about it?

Swonder67
02-20-2002, 10:05 AM
yeah, if it has the factory head unit, you could wire it in with the power wire on the head unit. But make sure it's the "power" wire, not the memory wire. because the "memory" wire is on all the time. And another option is wo wire it into the power antenna wire. you can find both of these wires on the ehad unit harness.

white97ex
02-20-2002, 02:01 PM
sweet...thanx again for all of the help

white97ex
02-20-2002, 08:31 PM
is there a way to run a power wire from the battery, to a switch, and then to the amp. he wants to keep from taking the dash apart as much as possible. he is going to get an aftermarket HU as soon as he can come up with the cash..thanx

igo4bmx
02-20-2002, 08:46 PM
is this still for powering the remote on the amp? to wire the POWER on the amp you need to run to battery through firewall and there should be a plug you can remove underneath the driver door.. make sure to fuse it too! as far as remote wire.. you can just wire it to anything behind the radio (i can't think of anything else closer to the amp than the dome light...) and have the switch in line... make sure the switch doesn't stay on when he turns off the car!

white97ex
02-21-2002, 08:43 AM
i didn't wire the amp up. he had another guy do it for him. i havn't had a chance to go through it to be sure it was done properly but it appears so. and there is a sufficient fuse in-line with the power wire. i was just thinking that if all the remote needed was an interuptable powersupply, you could just run a constant hot from the battery to a switch then from the switch to the amp. would that not work? this is in an extended cab pick-up so we aren't talking about millions of feet of wire. plus it would be a little easier than tearing the dash apart and yanking the radio to splice the power wire for the remote on the amp

Swonder67
02-21-2002, 04:16 PM
I guess, but I dunno if you want to be cutting the power wire, because later, if he does wire up the remote wire, it would suck to get a new power wire.

igo4bmx
02-21-2002, 05:18 PM
to make it even easier...
just run a remote wire from the power terminal on the amp and then run an in line switch, and then into the remote terminal on the amp... that way the remote will be getting power from the end of the power wire at the terminal on the amp... easier than pushing a wire through the firewall again

white97ex
02-21-2002, 09:26 PM
ok .....so run a wire from the power terminal on the amp. to the switch in the dash. and then back to the remote terminal on the amp. with, of course a ground wire..hehe. awesome. thanx

Add your comment to this topic!