Ps2

riceboi33
02-16-2002, 03:33 PM
k like i was looking for a cigarette lighter adapter for a PS2 and they dont have one so i was wondering how do you install a PS2 in your car?? if anybody knows how could they tell meeh how. thanx

igo4bmx
02-16-2002, 05:42 PM
u need some power inveter.. ur car power is 12 volts DC and u ps2 which is a household device runs on 120 AC(my guess) u need a device to convert car power into household type power... go to a radioshack.

esp
02-16-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by igo4bmx
go to a radioshack.

or any automotive store, places like target, shopko, and even walmart sell power inverters for cars.

supershawn
02-17-2002, 04:35 AM
why not put the ps2 in your house...?

GSteg
02-17-2002, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by supershawn
why not put the ps2 in your house...?

same reason why people want to put TV's inside. For entertainment use.

ci5ic
03-21-2004, 11:34 PM
Wow... I can't believe this thread is linked to from the FAQ... :screwy:

What a waste of time.

SOOOOO... I've got some questions on this topic. How do you mount a PS2 securely? I plan on having mine horizontally mounted in my car, so how can I screw it in? Should I pop the cover and drill holes in the bottom of the case or what?

Also, what kind of wattage inverter should I use? 140 would probably be more than sufficient, no?

I plan to have the front face of the PS2 flush mounted, and I wouldn't be able to get at the main power switch. Is there a way to wire to that switch so that I could have a main power switch elsewhere in the car, or should I just have a switch on the power wire for it? Would that cause any damage to the PS2?

That's it for now... more later I'm sure.

Geeko
05-25-2004, 08:23 PM
yes, i know i just bumped an ancient thread, but WTF, it was linked to the FAQ :rolleyes:

There are a veriety of different ways you can mount a PS2, or virtually anything else. metal strapping works, as does double-sided tape (the good foam stuff). yes, you CAN drill holes in the bottom, but keep in mind that a) as soon as you pop the top, you've voided any warrenty on it and b) there are a lot of very sensitive electronics in there, including a DVD-read laser. if you've never worked with raw electronics, you might want to get help from someone who has, so you don't inadvertantly damage something in the process of stripping/reinstalling the unit in it's case.

If you look on the back of your PS2, XBox, GameCube, Genesis, or whatever, you will notice a handy-dandy little sticker that says how much current it draws.

a PS2 draws ~93watts, so a 90watt inverter would probably work okay, but a 140 will do fine. the vast majority of game systems draw less then 100watts.

no. you do not want to use an in-line cord. simply depriving the PS2 of power can be hard on the power supply, and it also looks ghetto as all hell.

relocating the power switch is pretty much a piece of cake. the simpleist thing to do is to install a new switch somewhere on the dash, and wire it into the PS2. again, you will be opening the case, which voids the warrenty. also, this requires soldering to be done right, so beginners beware. note also that you need a SPST (single-pole, single-through) power switch. there are several different styles available from places like RadioShack (http://www.radioshack.com) or Autozone (http://www.autozone.com), including toggle switches, pushbutton switches, etc... you'll also need a length of 18-gague or similar opaque-insulated wire (no clear-insulation speaker wire).

before you wire your switch in, mount your PS2, and the switch, and run wire between the two, leaving at least 4 inches of spare lead at the PS2. you'll also either need to completely remove the switch from the back of the PS2 and run the wires through that hole, or drill another hole for the wires.

once you have your PS2 and your new power switch mounted, it's time to wire them together The on/off switch on the back of the PS2 is on a wire lead, on a frame together with the fan grill. once you have removed the case from the PS2, you will see the switch and the wire lead. there are 2 seperate wires, which should be one black, and one white, running from the power supply in the PS2 to the switch. run your remote-lead wire through whatever hole you have created in the side of the playstation case. CAREFULLY unsolder one wire from the power supply, and solder in one of the wires from your remotely-mounted switch. after you have finished installing the new wire, allow the power supply board to cool for a minute, and then unsolder/solder the other wire. be sure not to get your solder spots misplaced, or you might turn your new mobile gaming rig into a glorified cupholder.

once you have both solder joints finished, reassemble the PS2 and plug it in. you now have a remote turn-on switch for the PS2!

Add your comment to this topic!