best wires?

ACCSlvCivic
02-01-2002, 03:34 PM
I'm about to hook up my new Orion 800.4 xtreme... very tight amp.. looks cool etc.. i was wondering how much the wires used matters.. i figure the ground and power are all the same, but what about the RCAs? who makes the best RCAs? thanks!

crxlvr
02-01-2002, 08:34 PM
for RCA's i like pheonix gold, and monster cable. and they do matter.

GSteg
02-01-2002, 10:22 PM
u can just get a plain good decent RCA cables. u don't need to go expensive on those. a human ear can't hear the difference between a good RCA and the best. i suggest some lightning audio or some rockford fosgate RCA pretty cheap and good quality.

cybercrx00
02-03-2002, 02:13 PM
Pheonix gold has some pretty cheap RCA's and they are fine. I spent $7 each for 6ft RCA's, thats better than $30 for monster cable

SilverY2KCivic
02-03-2002, 02:53 PM
I'm just using aome "plain Jane" red colored Fosgate RCAs for my amp, which is only powering my sub. Esp. on a sub, I figured expensive cables won't make that much of a differance, the cables I got were only like $12.99 for a 3m (9.9ft) set of Fosgate RF Twister model, cables.

90CRXZCSi
02-04-2002, 12:21 AM
IMO, monster cable is the best way to go. it might be a little more than another kind, but you will like it in the long run.;)

SPLThunder
01-13-2003, 04:07 PM
i do agree that monster cable is of good quality but i have never heard anyone complaing about how much their RCA cables suck

PaulD
01-13-2003, 06:17 PM
the only thing I would be concerned about is if you have engine noise .... then you will have to use UTp's.

eag36
05-07-2003, 12:47 PM
It all depends what you plan to do with your amp. If you aren't going to SPL comps then you don't need to get top of the line monsters. If you're just going for driving around music or for show... then get the ones that look the coolest which aren't normally the high priced ones. But you can't always say that just because the amp is being used to power a sub that you don't have to worry about noise. Especially at idle for engine noise. At idle you can get rosonant frequencies that the subs can pick up on at like a 250 or 300 hz and it's annoying as hell because they move so much air, even small amounts of noise are audible. But in the same respect if you have your crossover set low enough it won't matter.
If you plan on using it for a pair of separates or whichever speakers you listen to your mids and highs on then they are more suseptible to noise while driving at higher rpms. The best solution to eliminate noise is in the layout of the wires rather than the type. Run the RCA's and the power wires on separate sides of the car, or at least not right next to each other. I've found that sometimes even the remote turn on can cause interference. Best bet is to run the rca's down the center of the car under the center console... it's normally the shortest route and therefore the cheapest. Whereas the battery is normally on the side of the car anyway and the remote turn on wire is dirt cheap.

RT Thunder Rider
06-08-2004, 09:47 AM
personally i only use Stinger wiring. Cost alittle bit lol but i'm in competition and where the difference between 1st and last is a couple of dBs the only way to go is Stinger.

Icantgetno
06-09-2004, 09:07 AM
Skimping on the wires has only ever caused me headaches in the long run, If you will never touch the wires again or run anything else near it you should be ok with cheap wires but in you screw with them at all then durability and succeptability to interference will likely become an issue in the future.

PaulD
06-09-2004, 04:54 PM
I use bargain brand power and speaker wires, and I make my own RCA cables.

Haibane
11-16-2004, 11:40 PM
For future reference, a RCA cable is a RCA cable

CBFryman
11-17-2004, 06:17 PM
Thank you halibane.

I can Solder RCA cables that will sound jsut as good as monster cables or $70 T.O.T.L. w/e cables. and i pay about half as much. The key to a good RCA cables is just low resistance, 90 degree crosing to prevent cancelation or good sheilds. i personally get gold plated (gold doesnt tarnish,no bad connections, though it does have a tad more resistance than copper or silver) RCA ends from radio shack, like $7 for 4. some 18awg O2 free for the signal wire, like $8 for a 50 foot roll; and 16awg for the signal splitter wire, like $7.50 for a 50foot roll. i braid (or if your too lazy to braid but stil lwant a close to 90 degree cross, twist them with a drill, 1-2 twists per inch) them, solder the ends, and get this brass mesh fabric stuff (like $4 a sq yard, 1 sq yd will do at least 15ft of wire. if you are needing RCA cables longer than 15 ft you have one long assed vehicle) and wrap it around the braid for sheilding. if im feeling proactive i may put a caseing on the wire. shrink wrap works well but isnt as prety as that stuff used to coat handles on like hammers and all. its like air drying rubber.

so all in all if i start from scrach a 15ft cable may cost me 26.50 and maybe 30 to heat shrink a case.

but after that all the materials i need for another 35ft is RCA ends, Brass mesh, and heat shrink (maybe, i get monstor bags of the stuff for like $7 that will do like 60ft easy)

no human ear will be bale to tell a sonic difference between my cales and a $50 pair of monstor cables or a $70 pair of home cables. they just wont look as good. but who runs RCA cables on top of their carpet anyway?

hotwheelsgt
11-17-2004, 07:55 PM
my monster cables were only $17 for 12ft :/

CBFryman
11-17-2004, 08:20 PM
used or new and if new where did yo uget them out for 17? or are they the unsheilded un braided ones?

hotwheelsgt
11-17-2004, 08:34 PM
ok mabe they werent "Monster Cables" lol but they work damb good Radio shack brand (http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=15-2403) :/

CBFryman
11-18-2004, 05:33 PM
bad link.... try agian :eek:

hotwheelsgt
11-18-2004, 06:34 PM
ok try again

CBFryman
11-18-2004, 06:52 PM
Not bad. it doesnt tell specs like resistance and whther or not the cables are braided or twisted. but thoes would do fine also...
but im a hands on kinda guy...so ill stick to soldering...

Krazy Jeff
11-21-2007, 02:53 AM
Just don't use the ones sold on 99 cent stores. They do sell them long--great idea to send the signal to the amp in the back, but after looking at them close, I notice how thin they are and they are not even soldered in the ends. Don't get them. I'd stick to good brands of RCAs, especially if you have paid a good buck in improving your dash in stereo and speakers. Your amp will only deliver what you send through it, so I think the audio cables do matter. I hope this helps.

PaulD
11-21-2007, 05:56 PM
wow, this thread is 3 years old ......................

the thinner the wire, the less chance of picking up radiated noise. The "power" going thru an RCA wire is a few milliWatts at most, so that's not really an issue either.

murd3rd
02-09-2008, 05:48 AM
For future reference, a RCA cable is a RCA cable
haha actually there correct term is interconnect cables just thought id throw that out there
an stinger makes an excelent cable as well try an go for a twisted pair i haveent actually seen a real difference yet but theres a huge hype on the twisted technology

PaulD
02-09-2008, 09:02 AM
twisted pair technology is like 60 years old ... nothing new there. Just new to car audio. The term "RCA cable" referred to the connectors on the end of the cable, not the cable itself. Why they wanted to use coaxial cable for audio is a good question - any engineer that works in the field knows that coaxial only shields frequencies above like 1 MHz or so.

Add your comment to this topic!