Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Painting my vents and console

Cranium
01-19-2002, 04:36 PM
I want to paint my vents, center console, and any other non-vinyl plastic interior parts WHITE. How do I go about doing this and what materials do I need? I want it to look good and not peel or flake.

buh_buh
01-19-2002, 05:32 PM
Use Krylon indoor/outdoor stuff.
It works well.
You can get it at like any local hardware shop.

dreemkill
01-19-2002, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Cranium
I want to paint my vents, center console, and any other non-vinyl plastic interior parts WHITE. How do I go about doing this and what materials do I need? I want it to look good and not peel or flake.

if you want it to look good.........then dont paint it ;)
personally i'd go with maybe some kinda vinyl covering..but..even then
also, re-sell value goes poopoo when you paint interior like that..

sparq
01-19-2002, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by dreemkill

if you want it to look good.........then dont paint it ;)
personally i'd go with maybe some kinda vinyl covering..but..even then
also, re-sell value goes poopoo when you paint interior like that.. Also goes poopoo if you cover it in vinyl, because you need to glue it in and when you take it off you now have yucky marks on it. If you insist on painting... honestly, goto a junkyard and find the pieces for your car that you want to paint ~ doesnt have to match because you are going to paint these pieces, this way when you sell your car you have the original panels to put in, presto! :bandit:

mAtC
01-20-2002, 12:50 PM
mAtC's method - use at own discretion - but does work well :D

For the plastic pieces:
(1) Remove pieces that you desire to paint;
(2) Clean throughly;
(3) Apply 2 coats of primer - waiting 5 minutes between par instructions;
(4) Spray a - - t h i n - - coat of spray paint - yes, it will not look like it touched it but very barely, but have patience. BTW: definition of thin - no closer than 12 inches from the object. If you get to close, the paint will become thick and "ball up" on you;
(5) Allow to dry for 7+ minutes depending on piece size - use own judgement;
(6) Repeat steps 4 & 5 as many times as you want - personally, I probably did over 10 coats to ensure that I got every nook&cranny;

(7) IMPORTANT STEP: let sit for 12-24 hours (this is probably the most difficult part because I know you want to rush and put the piece back in your ride and check it out) and after it is completely dry - go over it with a cloth;

(7a) FOR A GLOSSY LOOK: add a coat or two of clear coat to your piece;

(8) Put it back where it belongs.

hobbesboarder
01-20-2002, 12:54 PM
make sure u use a primer because any chemicals (i.e. armor all) will screw with the paint, then about 5 layer of clear coat. i painted all mine red. check it out:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/29403973/29404155NMlsWHFwGo

Swonder67
01-20-2002, 12:56 PM
I would like to stress step 2 in MATC's instructions. If you use armorall in your car, the piece will will have grease on it. If you don't clean it thoroughly, the paint (even the primer) won't take to the piece. Just make sure you clean it thoroughly, and TAKE your time, and everything should come out fine.

Whtehnda93DXSdn
01-20-2002, 03:25 PM
Matc has pretty much outlined the process very well..

I would maybe also suggest the Testor Model paints for the plastc pieces as that's what it's made for. I've heard of and seen quite a few people use it and it looks nice. Still use the primer and clear w/ that as well.

Once done let it dry fully befroe trying to reinstall teh pieces...:frog:

viclaster
04-10-2003, 08:40 AM
I learned the hard way. If you have used Armor All or any other protectant in the past year you have better sand your parts before you paint them or you can also get a rough cloth and scrub them with laquer thinner to remove all oil, grease and dirt. I am in the process of painting my biege interior to black in my Acura Integra LS.

nihilistprophet
08-09-2003, 08:50 PM
I just bought a 94 civic to fix-up, its original owner was an idiot and did a really half assed job with the interior paint. Now will using paint thinner affect the material of the dash and center console? I'm worried that the thinner will eat thru the paint and into the material. Any suggestions?

91Intergra
08-10-2003, 10:21 PM
I learned the hard way. If you have used Armor All or any other protectant in the past year you have better sand your parts before you paint them or you can also get a rough cloth and scrub them with laquer thinner to remove all oil, grease and dirt. I am in the process of painting my biege interior to black in my Acura Integra LS.

lol i have a 91 integra LS same interior i believe lol, do you have the power seat belts :iceslolan

Yeah im doing my interior blue and white, i redid one of my door panels perfectly the way i want it to see if i like it and other people like it, if they dont and i dont ill just power spray all the paint off :)

But its holding up well as of now, i have like 150 coats of primer na dpaint on it, and as well i re did the carpet too, looks neat ill get pics.

Tim

ssjwizard
08-15-2003, 11:55 PM
i dont think that paint thinner is going to make alot of diffrence when tring to get the paint off. id recomend just using denatured alchahol. its super thin so it will soak right into that shitty paint and disolve the bod aswell as releasing oils that have absorbed into the vinyl. using a green pad should speed things up just dont get to rought with it.

S1 Type-R
08-16-2003, 12:05 AM

Dont do it.....you will only regret it later on.... :headshake

Dreem
08-19-2003, 05:05 AM
I painted the interior to my civic blue and white with Kylon indoor/outdoor stuff and I as I finished it a week later it started to crack. :banghead: So I wasted so much time cleaning and painting my interior just to strip it all out. :banghead: Trust me stripping that crap off my consule was a big headache and it took so much time. :banghead: I had to use airplane stripper and that stuff is dangerous it burns through your skin so you have to wear protective clothing. So from experience don't paint it with Kylon :nono: If you are pressed with money go with the Kylon and the primer. From my experience if you want your car to look good take more time and save a little more money. The best should go in your car. :iceslolan

DREEMS PROCEDURE Vents
1. Take out all big pieces 1. Just clean and sand down
2. Sand down 2. Paint (no Resin it is hard)
3. Buy fiberglass resin
4. Mix with hardener
5. Apply nice coat of Resin on parts
6. Let dry (30 min or so)
7. Sand to perfection
8. Primer
9. PAINT to desire or take it to your dealer and have them paint it the same color of your car. It looks real professional

CivicLeader
08-19-2003, 05:58 PM
Matc has pretty much outlined the process very well..

I would maybe also suggest the Testor Model paints for the plastc pieces as that's what it's made for. I've heard of and seen quite a few people use it and it looks nice. Still use the primer and clear w/ that as well.

Once done let it dry fully befroe trying to reinstall teh pieces...:frog:

Checked out www.civicland.com ... tight forum...haven't posted/read any posts but like the site none the less...
CL

dfaulkner
08-20-2003, 04:56 PM
I painted several parts on my interior white.
I used Testors model paint and clear coat.
I removed all pieces, rubbed each piece down with plain rubbing alcohol which removes all protectants and oils. Then washed the entire piece and let dry.
I did NO sanding, I wanted the textured look.
Start off with a VERY light coat, doesn't even have to cover the entire piece, Testors takes awhile to dry so be patient.
When it's tacky, apply another coat, and repeat till you have full coverage.
Let dry overnight.
Next day, apply the clear coat as you did the paint. I used about 2-3 coats. Let dry overnight.
Install the next day and marvel at your work. :biggrin:

Add your comment to this topic!