Which and why?

kicker1_solo
12-22-2001, 08:05 PM
Ok, I'm going to be building a box for 2 15" subs. The box that they were in previously was seperated, basically one box with a piece of wood between them so that the compression from the subs don't mix. I don't know if that's why it's there, but I'm just explaining which one. I was looking at boxes online today and I saw a bunch that have that piece in there, and a bunch that don't have that piece in there. Some of the people that did have it in there said that it's just for support. I was wondering if it makes a difference with the sound? If so, is it better to have that piece in there, or not? Can anyone explain this to me......thanx

sparq
12-22-2001, 09:11 PM
Some people will try to argue that that piece of wood helps to seperate the sound waves between the woofers... know what I have for those people??? :flipa: :flipa: :flipa:

That piece of wood does absolutely nothing other then support for the front of the box... it DOES NOT effect sound output, clarity, NOTHING. So anyone that says it does, obviously has no idea what they are talking about.

Me personally, when building a box, I like to make it as tight as possible. So I will put that piece in if possible (sometimes ported boxes dont alow for it) but also do corner bracing and additional bracing. I like it so I can set a nuke off inside my box and have them still survive :) :devil: :bandit:

Whtehnda93DXSdn
12-23-2001, 09:04 PM
Sparq is right it's not goin to matter what so ever w/ the exception of support for the enclosure...:D

share the box once you get done...

Navy I.C.
07-05-2004, 09:11 PM
that piece in the middle also have another purpose besides support. If you happen to blow one of your speakers then two separate chambers would retaine the enclosure volume for each speaker separately. drving a speaker hard in an enclosure too big could possibly create an infinite baffle situation and push past its excursion limits and damage the good speaker as well

RSLaser
07-07-2004, 10:55 AM
What about just tryin to fab a box out of FG?

lol, you could just sell the 15's and buy you a 32" Dome...and probably 5 car batterys and a new alt to power it.

1gspot
07-07-2004, 07:44 PM
yea man i saw a pic of someone with a 32" damn thing was massive, its not for me but wow, thing was huge, i thought the pic was on here somewhere......

Haibane
11-16-2004, 11:43 PM
This is false information that the piece serves no purpose, and it should not be posted as useful information

Navy I.C.
11-22-2004, 07:46 PM
This is false information that the piece serves no purpose, and it should not be posted as useful information
JUST IN CASE YOU MISSED IT...

that piece in the middle also have another purpose besides support. If you happen to blow one of your speakers then two separate chambers would retain the PROPER enclosure volumes for each speaker separately. drving a speaker hard in an enclosure too big could possibly create an infinite baffle situation and push past its excursion limits and damage the good speaker as well...

Add your comment to this topic!