Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

auto to manual conv

Xnoitareng
12-16-2001, 01:23 PM
hey, im thinkin bout doin an auto to manual conversion, but i need some info on lyke wut to get, wut to do, etc. but if i stuck wit the auto transmission, i wanna get an intake on mah civic, but ish an lx which means its not vtec. so wuld gettin an intake help at all? if it does, shuld i get a short ram or a cai?

Swonder67
12-16-2001, 01:36 PM
Here is a thread about intakes...

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t16053.html

An intake by itself won't make that much of a difference But as you keep modding your car, it will make more of a difference.

about the tranny, you will need to buy the manual tranny and bolt it on. thats basically the main thing you'll need. then there's little stuff, like gaskets. How bout just gettin a whole new engine, like a Teg GSR, or LS. :D

piscorpio
12-16-2001, 04:22 PM
Actually, there are quite a few things you will need asides from the transmission, and here they are:

Manual Transmission (duh)
Clutch Master cylinder
Clutch slave cylinder
Clutch lines
Pedals (easy to forget this one)
Shift linkage
Manual starter
Flywheel/clutch
Front console w/boot
Manual transmission ECU

And that my friend is what you will need. Ive been looking into the same thing myself, so Ive done the shopping. This is actually the parts list I got from Jerome Soh, verbatim. I also considered swapping out the engine entirely, but Id like to keep my D16 Vtec. If I were you, I would definitely plan things out. You have to decide if you LX engine is going to be enough for you future plans to make power. Weigh this against your budget and base your decision on that, it is all about bang for the buck and what you want. Remember, going from auto to manual is a step down value-wise, so be very sure that this is going to be your car for long term and you wont be looking to sell it soon.

Swonder67
12-16-2001, 04:43 PM
Oh, I thought when you got a tranny, it came with linkage and all the clutch stuff. I've never done it, so i dunno.

piscorpio
12-16-2001, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Swonder67
Oh, I thought when you got a tranny, it came with linkage and all the clutch stuff. I've never done it, so i dunno.

So did I, until I started looking around. Technically the transmission alone is basically only the gear box. Im just dispensing some of the info Ive come across on my cyberspace shopping journies! ;)

Swonder67
12-16-2001, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by piscorpio

So did I, until I started looking around. Technically the transmission alone is basically only the gear box. Im just dispensing some of the info Ive come across on my cyberspace shopping journies! ;)

Then a whole auto to manual swap is gonna be really expensive. you might as well swap a faster engine with a tranny already bolted on

xivera
12-16-2001, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Swonder67
Then a whole auto to manual swap is gonna be really expensive. you might as well swap a faster engine with a tranny already bolted on
It's not as expensive as swapping for a better engine (+ tranny) but, it does help a driver have more control of the car. Minimally speaking, a stick tranny and some forced induction is all that one may require from a Civic. Sometimes, that's more than enough. Others would be more satisfied with a B18C swap (+ tranny and maybe some other essentials).
It all depends on what you want...

craz_e_99
12-17-2001, 04:51 PM
piscorpio left out:

1)Place Racing Tranny mount---regular 5spd mount wont work becuz chasis is slightly different (placeracing.com---they are the only ones who carry this mount at this time--$152)
2)Front tranny bracket---manual has 3 holes for tranny, auto mount only has 2 in different spots
3)Rear tranny mount is a myth---not necessary, auto mount is fine
4)Tranny bolts
5)Flywheel bolts
6)Flywheel cover---not exactly necessary but nice to have--i dont
7)Shift linkage bolts---not just the rods, u need the cup and rear mount and rubber weather seals and u have to drill the holes for rear SL mount
8)the console ring for shift boot to keep it in place---i dont have it yet so my shift boot is just there
9)plenty of other miscellaneous bolts and nuts

if u have no clue how to do this or how things work together, you might wanna take a trip to honda and get alot of diagrams for things....

Gusto222
12-17-2001, 06:02 PM
okay- heres tha deal - make sure u get an afterMarket clutch.. cuz y else would u do tha conversion-- if u dont plan on messin w/ your car hardcore - like beating tha hell outta it... & then find a reputable shop.. & pay tha $1100 -- although if u know of places that can do it for $500 - & u know peeps who have gone through them.. then by all means go w/ tha cheaper one...

Me i have a A/T - y, because i go tha car used & it was cheap - i would only do a conversion if i was doing a Engine swap-- otherwise its pretty much pointless...
:frog:

craz_e_99
12-17-2001, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Gusto222
okay- heres tha deal - make sure u get an afterMarket clutch.. cuz y else would u do tha conversion--
Me i have a A/T - y, because i go tha car used & it was cheap - i would only do a conversion if i was doing a Engine swap-- otherwise its pretty much pointless...
:frog:

its nowhere near pointless to do this swap...with stock clutch after tranny swap i dropped over a full second off my 1/4 mi time. i ran flat 18s @ 75-77mph...after the tranny swap with a USED stock clutch and taking my ice and spare tire out...16.5 @ 82-84mph. i attribute a little over a second off due to tranny swap and a few tenths due to removing the subs and spare. once i get my stage 3 ill be in the high fifteens guaranteed!!! oh well...ill have my turbo b4 the track opens back up but i know a SOHC VTEC'er here with similar setup and he ran 15.4 @ ???mph with addition of better clutch and cam gear and no back seats.
-----
its by no means pointless to gain control over ur engine and its shift points and gaining back all the power u lose through the power-drenching auto tranny. :smoka:

Gusto222
12-17-2001, 06:33 PM
um okay- y would u drop all that $$ in doing tha swap- & not put an aftermarket clutch in? - just to let u know.. A/t Shift faster than any1 could ever do w/ a M/T - if u look @ almost every major drag car they have a modified a/t transmission....

craz_e_99
12-17-2001, 06:44 PM
yes ur right...it shifts faster becuz its electronically controlled, but theres alot less power due to the huge loss thru the auto drivetrain. its about 25-30% loss vs. 12-15% loss in manual tranny. ur car can shift as fast as it wants but if i have alot more power than u, ill be a couple car lengths ahead anyway. and most import dragsters like papadakis and iberra use manual trannys as well....funny cars and more american muscle dragsters use those funny auto shifters. bottom line....auto civic with basic i/h/e mods low 18s/ high 17s.....manual civic with same mods mid to low 16s
:smoka:

craz_e_99
12-17-2001, 06:49 PM
and a auto civic ex with basic mods and fifty shot of NX---good for 16.0 flat in the 1/4mi...the tranny is the weakest link in a auto civic...this is why i had no choice but to get rid of it becuz it would only hold me back in my turbo endeavor due to that damn power loss. greddy turbo'd auto ex...good for 15.5 in the 1/4mi @ 5.5psi. same psi on manual civic is good for times from 14.5 down to 13.9s. and the reason i didnt get a better clutch was becuz i had to get this aftermarket mount for the tranny unexpected. i have a clutchmasters stage 3 waiting to be installed though...

invincible
06-09-2003, 10:24 PM
yes it is true that the a/t are slower because they shift at lower rpms however i have an a/t and my car runs a 17.3 d15b2 w fried motor but an 18.5 reg driven my point is that altho it is an a/t you can still control how it shifts using 1,2,d3,d4 using you a/t trans this way can also take a sec off your time..but if you swap the trans you might as well throw in a motor. comming soon zc engine manual 5 and ls ecu.

HXCivic97
06-10-2003, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by invincible
yes it is true that the a/t are slower because they shift at lower rpms however i have an a/t and my car runs a 17.3 d15b2 w fried motor but an 18.5 reg driven my point is that altho it is an a/t you can still control how it shifts using 1,2,d3,d4 using you a/t trans this way can also take a sec off your time..but if you swap the trans you might as well throw in a motor. comming soon zc engine manual 5 and ls ecu.
The issue isn't when it shifts, or how fast you shift or anything. Its the power loss due to the automatic drivetrain, as craz_e_99 said. Using 1,2,d3, and d4 does NOT equal a manual transmission. Granted it'll be faster than leaving it in d4 the whole time, but not even close to a manual transmission time.

Bambooseven
10-07-2003, 04:37 AM
If you really want to keep the Auto go with an aftermarket torque converter, expensive though.

autoenthus3
02-02-2005, 10:07 AM
It's two things.. like the he said its the power loss from the drivetrain and its the gearing. Most automotic transmissions are either 3 or 4 spds with OD. And the more gears you have... the less power loss you have because when you shift its going to be at higher rpms already. And its deffinately not when it shifts because you could put it in D1,D2,D3 and D and shift for it.... basically the same thing that drag cars do except a little better with a rachet shifter. They only need 3 gears

polacek
02-03-2005, 09:08 AM
Could this be a record? Almost 2 1/2 year old post.

tegra92
02-18-2005, 01:14 AM
is it severely difficult to do a tranny swap on your own and if not where can i get info on how to do it?

civicson234
04-14-2005, 06:00 AM
I have a 95 hatchback dx. I found someone who is selling a b16 out of a 93 Sir-II(i am in england after all, and they have jdm cars here) Currently i have an automatic transmission in the car, and i want to keep it that way, but i dont know if the swapped engine will bolt right up to the transmission. Ive looked into this on the internet and i casnt find any information on this. Hopefull this thread is still active and someone knows what i can do.

E Honda
04-19-2005, 12:01 AM
piscorpio left out:

1)Place Racing Tranny mount---regular 5spd mount wont work becuz chasis is slightly different (placeracing.com---they are the only ones who carry this mount at this time--$152)
2)Front tranny bracket---manual has 3 holes for tranny, auto mount only has 2 in different spots
3)Rear tranny mount is a myth---not necessary, auto mount is fine
4)Tranny bolts
5)Flywheel bolts
6)Flywheel cover---not exactly necessary but nice to have--i dont
7)Shift linkage bolts---not just the rods, u need the cup and rear mount and rubber weather seals and u have to drill the holes for rear SL mount
8)the console ring for shift boot to keep it in place---i dont have it yet so my shift boot is just there
9)plenty of other miscellaneous bolts and nuts

if u have no clue how to do this or how things work together, you might wanna take a trip to honda and get alot of diagrams for things....

Ummmm what about axles?...... :smokin:

fasthatchb18c1
04-20-2005, 02:06 AM
LOL i dont think your gona get a reply considering this post started years ago and civicson you wont be able to but a D series tranny on a B16

piscorpio
05-23-2006, 03:39 PM
I have a 95 hatchback dx. I found someone who is selling a b16 out of a 93 Sir-II(i am in england after all, and they have jdm cars here) Currently i have an automatic transmission in the car, and i want to keep it that way, but i dont know if the swapped engine will bolt right up to the transmission. Ive looked into this on the internet and i casnt find any information on this. Hopefull this thread is still active and someone knows what i can do.

D series engine will not bolt up to a B series tranny, won't work. However, if you just wanted to keep an automatic transmission for some odd reason, there were B16 that came with an auto trans. Look for one and you may have your solution. Personally, I wouldn't opt for the auto over manual.

Hows that for proving fasthatchb18c1 wrong!? :p

Come back in a year, and I will post again. :)

sageuvagony
05-23-2006, 11:09 PM
:bloated: :slap: :twak: :nutkick:

polacek
05-24-2006, 12:33 AM
I am willing to bet the guy no longer has the car! 4 1/2 years later, Xnoitareng only has 6 posts. He's outta here.

Add your comment to this topic!