Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Busting out the Dremel - New Clear Side Lenses

Yahnozha
12-07-2001, 12:22 PM
Just got in the Clear Side Lenses for the P11 from Joe Tesensky of Infinity of Scottsdale....again they have the orange in them. So for those of you looking to get them they are much "flatter" then the origional orange ones...see photo..

INF 26160-4N000 $14.98 ($25.79 list) and you need two.

Ill post the how-to photos soon...

P@
ww.customsteel.com

atomic-G
12-07-2001, 02:10 PM
Woo, exactly the ones I have :).

The lenses look much better on the red then the fat orange lenses did.

I think I need to invest in a digital cam ...

goodluck - it shouldn't take you too long to get em installed.

wickedG20
12-07-2001, 03:09 PM
Wow that is a really good price. Damn too bad I already ordered the euro ones already. :(

Yahnozha
12-07-2001, 03:28 PM
So here is the how to on the side lights...

1) Take your dremel, Ive got a micro air grinder with a long carbide bit that I used to start cutting the plastic. Be careful, there is not a whole lot of room to punch thru the orange, I already scratched the inside of one.
2) I pretty much made an X in the circular portion then took off the "top" of the orange part.
3) After that, I simply borke off the plastic with a small screwdrive and pulled the plastic out with needle nose pliers.
4) Once the top is off, you can simply break out the rounded part that is left.
5) Viola' blow out the plastic dust and there you go. Instant clear side lenses.

I havent installed them yet, cuz my car is dirty as **** due to the shitty weather. Took me about 20 min to do both, hope this helps out.

P@
www.customsteel.com

Koojo
12-07-2001, 09:41 PM
is it possible to this without the dermel, because I really dont feel like buying a 80 dollar toy just so i could use it a couple times. Is it possible to just brake the insides out somehow using another tool?

Also, do you still use the same bulb, or do you use a yellow one?

Yahnozha
12-08-2001, 04:01 PM
More How To on the Install...

The new connectors are different then the ones on my 99' as you can see, the new ones have four prongs that twist into the lens housing, the old ones use three. Quite suprised, I decided to use the old twist in one, plus the electrical connection is different too, I wanted to keep the origional wiring so I had to modify the new lenses to fit the origional twist in ones...

1) The comparisioin (Left Origional - Right New) you can see the three slots on the origional, the new ones have four, no problem, simply elongate the holes on the new one to accpet the old twist in...
2) The Tools - 1/8 long carbide cutter, and an Abrasive cylinder, you'll see the need for this...
3) You can see the new elongated slots compared to what I started with...
4) After elongating the two holes to fit the old twist in, I noticed a little piece of plastic keeping it from "twisting"...this is where the abrasive cylinder comes in...
5) Get in under the lip of the plastic, and wack it out....now the old twist in fits the new lenses, pretty tight might I add...
6) The comparison of the new lenses with the origoinal fitting (left) and the one from my 99 (right)

Im sure you can take out the orange by other methods, Ive read by drilling a bunch of tiny holes in the orange and breaking them out is a method, it takes a while, but works.

If you plan on doing other mods a dremel is a handy tool to have. If your working on plastic get the variable speed one, plus the flex shaft attachment is a good investment too. Besides its handy for other stuff as well.

Im using the white bulb in the set up, why go thru all that trouble and install an organge bulb, just keep the orange in...although, some states require certian colors for certain lenses. I not aware of any for my state but ask around.

On a similar note, I did have quite a problem with the plastic dust that was left in the housing on both this project and the headlight project. I simply washed out the plastic but was left with a lot of moisture in the housing. My dad gave me a cool trick (he was a tuner in his day with VW's) Pour denatured/rubbing alcohol into the housing, swirl it around (it mixes with the H20) pour it out and let the alcohol evaporate. Hell it workd for me, just be sure to test the plastic and make sure it doesnt react with the alcohol.

Sorry for the long post, hope this helps others....

P@
www.customsteel.com

DCastillo
12-10-2001, 02:45 AM
it took me about 2 minutes to clear out my side markes, you dont even ahve to break the lense. just kinda pop it out of position and pull it out. it literally took me about2 minutes

"G"-sus!
01-01-2002, 11:10 PM
I have a black G20 and I saw some blacked out side markers that sit flush and raised black side blinkers. Both had yellow/amber lights/LED's in them.

Have you seen these? Do they look shitty? I'm afraid the amber color won't shine through clear. The blinker is made by Hella so it SHOULD look nice. It say universal but it looks a little bit too oval in size.

Any input is appreciated!
f-bomb!:smoker2:

G2002
02-04-2002, 07:36 PM
How do you get the side markers off the car?

atomic-G
02-04-2002, 09:17 PM
For the side markers, you just unscrew them.

For the side repeater lenses (turn signal) - push the lenses to the right on both sides and as you push pull out a little and it will pop right out.

Looking in the owners manual usually helps :).

G2002
02-05-2002, 12:51 PM
Thanks atomic G, does any one have any sugestions as how to reach the side repeaters from the back side. I dont see very many opening where i could get my hand it to push them out.

G20 SpoRt 2002
02-06-2002, 02:43 PM
I dont have the dremel and I tried some drill thing that I have and I couldnt break it :cry: Someone HELP lol

atomic-G
02-06-2002, 02:55 PM
To me, there seems to be some confusion as to what a sidemarker and repeater is. I have made a little helpful image below :).

I know the Dremel is somewhat expensive, but it will make clearing out the corners/tailights/repeaters etc so much easier. There was mention that you could get a nail, heat it up on the stove top and use that to burn holes in the plastic - or even a soldering iron and then use needle nose pliers to break the plastic a part.

http://members.rogers.com/lucas8671/tesst.jpg

G2002
02-06-2002, 03:24 PM
So how do I get the side repeaters out of the fender?

atomic-G
02-06-2002, 03:32 PM
Ok, see where I have the arrow. That's where you will take your fingers ..and you will push from the left side of the repeater to the right .. as you're pushing (it will hurt your fingers a bit) - you can then grab the repeater from the right side and pull out and it will pop out. Play around with it, you'll get it.

Remember when you do this on the passenger side, you will also push the repeater to the right.

http://members.rogers.com/lucas8671/tesst2.jpg

G20 SpoRt 2002
02-06-2002, 03:45 PM
lol thats cool... You made little arrows lol... Yea I tried all kinda of stuff to break it I guess ima need a dremel..

Yahnozha
02-06-2002, 05:49 PM
a standard drill would work, you just need a long drill bit, say 1/8" or so to drill thru the plastic. Dont forget those needle nose pliers, they definately come in handy. Id say invest in a dremel, it will make your life so much easier, besides you can cut the heads off of nails like they do in the commercial...

atomic-G
02-06-2002, 06:22 PM
Yah, what kind of bulb do you have for the repeater? Is it the stock one? I don't think keeping the repeater bulb flashing white would be a problem for me, as long as the corners and tailights flash amber. I personally like the white flash on the repeater :).

Yahnozha
02-06-2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by atomic-G
Yah, what kind of bulb do you have for the repeater? Is it the stock one? I don't think keeping the repeater bulb flashing white would be a problem for me, as long as the corners and tailights flash amber. I personally like the white flash on the repeater :).
Im keeping my origional bulbs in there, they flash a nice white. Im looking at getting some PIAA's in there and in the front corners. So far no problems with the police, and Ive been right up next to them with the flashes too.

I havent cleared out the amber in the rears, and I dont plan to either. Im not sure on the laws out here in NM but Im pretty sure its not a good thing.

atomic-G
02-06-2002, 07:09 PM
When you get some PIAA's in the repeaters and front, do let me know what type you got and if you're happy with them.

So then if the front flashes white and the repeaters it's OK? But if the back doesn't, then it's not. I would think it doesn't matter, that any white flashing would be illegal.

I have the Phillips Silvervision bulbs in the front - which flash amber and are coated with silver - so you can't see that there's even a bulb in there. I'll have to look for somethin for the back though, thanks :)

Yahnozha
02-06-2002, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by atomic-G
So then if the front flashes white and the repeaters it's OK? But if the back doesn't, then it's not. I would think it doesn't matter, that any white flashing would be illegal.

I have the Phillips Silvervision bulbs in the front - which flash amber and are coated with silver - so you can't see that there's even a bulb in there. I'll have to look for somethin for the back though, thanks :)
I dont know if its illegal or not for the front and side, but the back, in my opinion, is a different story. Amber is one of the "safest" colors for turn signals, thats why the are in all corners. It is considered to be a "more noticeable" color.

How do you like those Silvervisions? I was looking at those but really didnt do the research. Where did you get them and what size? Just curious.

G20 SpoRt 2002
02-06-2002, 07:42 PM
Yea I want to the put the PIAAS in the repeater too and in the parking lights so they can match my headlights.. I tried breaking it today and I didnt have any luck... :mad:

atomic-G
02-06-2002, 09:27 PM
G20: I say if you have some extra change hanging around, go out and get the DREMEL tool - otherwise I don't know what other type of advice I have to offer in respect to clearing out your repeaters. I think you can buy it seperately - if you can, pick up some drill bits as well.

YAH: I'm sure it is illegal to have a white light flashing back there. It's not that I'm afraid of having trouble with the police, it's more of a safety issue for myself. I don't want to get into an accident that is caused by white blinkers and then end up being at fault for it and having my insurance skyrocket.

The Phillips Silvervision bulbs are really nice - they are powerful and very orange looking. I read up on the bulbs here;

http://www.sentra.net/solm/january02/silvervision.shtml

I then went to powerbulbs.com and ordered them from there. You just have to cut off one of the notches and they fit perfectly.

Yahnozha
02-06-2002, 09:55 PM
Atomic: thanks for the info, it helps. Ill probably get a set of the phillips and try them out instead. Might want to relay that link to Bo-ogie for the FAQ section.

G2002
02-07-2002, 04:26 PM
Yo G20 sport, i found that if u make only a few holes with the dremel and then take a falt head screw driver and pry away at the sides of that orange stuff (those 2 lil things on the sides) get them to bend towards the center then take needle nose pliers and pull it out with some force they will come out rather easily :flash: :sun: ;)

G20 SpoRt 2002
02-07-2002, 07:46 PM
Yea dude, I did it today like an hour ago... I used my friends took it wasnt a dremel but it was something like it and I got it to work, it looks good but I need to put some nice bulbs in there.. Thanks! :D

Taz
02-08-2002, 05:13 AM
Can you get these clear light for P10s aswell?? Any idea where I could get some, Im from New Zealand. Im also interested in some clear tail lights, any info would be great

Koojo
05-13-2002, 09:47 PM
do they sell these types of bulbs in orange color? then I could just paint them with the metallic paint to make the look silver.

Domiken
05-14-2002, 05:09 PM
g20sport Dude that sucks how in Miami they dont let you have the xenon bulbs here in Broward they dont care.

G20 SpoRt 2002
05-14-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Domiken
g20sport Dude that sucks how in Miami they dont let you have the xenon bulbs here in Broward they dont care.

All my bulbs are illegal Ive never gotton pulled over... They let you have xenon, your in P.Pines, we should meet up...

Koojo
05-15-2002, 09:23 PM
How would they know that your bulbs are illegal. Say that your car is one of those high costing cars that have the bright white, or blue light or whatever have you. Say it came stock, and you can't do anything about it. New BMW's and Audi's have such bright light that it just blinds you, and they don't get pulled over for that crap.

Domiken
05-16-2002, 08:33 PM
Oh well someone from Miami here on the forum told me its illegal i think it was poppy morenito, yeah sure lets meet up, i want to get the stillen front end and i want to see what it looks like on the G in person.

Domiken
05-16-2002, 08:34 PM
Theres a company here named QUEES that makes custom body kits, my friend told me for about a grand i could have a phat body kit from them. All they need are my front bumper and rear bumper and then the side skirts so im looking at about a month and half without my car.

Domiken
05-16-2002, 08:55 PM
Check it out

G20 SpoRt 2002
05-16-2002, 09:20 PM
Damn looks good!!! Nice!! Yea we should meet up...

Domiken
05-17-2002, 06:56 PM
Guess what kind of headlights are those!!!

G20 SpoRt 2002
05-17-2002, 08:44 PM
Sentra or G20!!? That looks like a 98 I30 grill...

Domiken
05-17-2002, 11:58 PM
Its a 200SX with 99' G20 headlights and an I30 grill

G20 SpoRt 2002
05-18-2002, 11:42 AM
i was close!!!! :D

Domiken
05-19-2002, 12:51 AM
Lets meet up bro, i just ordered the Stillen front bumper

G20 SpoRt 2002
05-19-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Domiken
Lets meet up bro, i just ordered the Stillen front bumper

Ohh you did? Where did you order it from? How much did you pay? Yea lets meet up... whenever is cool.. :D

g20krissie
07-13-2002, 08:57 PM
is there anyway to clear out tha sidemarkers on a p10?

chr0nicg20t
09-01-2002, 04:52 PM
do they sell the clear sidemarkers at the dealer for the p10 also?

chr0nicg20t
09-01-2002, 05:03 PM
ok http://www.infinitipartsusa.com/Product.asp?Productid=1436 is that supposed to be the sidemarker lol? can anyone tell me the dimensions of the p11 sidemarker to see if i can just use the p11s on my p10? Thanks

Add your comment to this topic!