Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

building cai for civic

SchwoliePatrol
12-10-2001, 05:39 PM
does anyone know exactly what i would hav eto do differently for my 92 civic lx if i follow the directoins on this page? http://www.teamdelsol.com/howto/coldair/diycoldair.htm heres a pic of my car that may help. thx for any help.

Swonder67
12-10-2001, 05:49 PM
The "dry setup" will be exactly the same. I don't see why the cold air setup would be any different. after you take out the "silencer box" there should be tons of room for the filer.

ric
12-10-2001, 11:02 PM
depending on if there is a hole down there at the resonator box for the piping to lead out to the fender well you may or may not have to cut open one or widen the pre-existing hole. if you have to cut one use a plasma cutter, they are neat as fuck (just use a mask unless you dont care about your vision). oh and also your piping diameter may be a bit smaller then the b16 piping so first check the radius of your throttle body to see what sized piping you will need.

Beyond Imagination
12-11-2001, 01:56 AM
With mandrel piping bent as show on the webpage ... make adjustments to the location of where the cuts should be made ... measure everything up to the throttle body and make sure all your angles are correct ... Everything should be pretty similar to the instructions ...

SchwoliePatrol
12-12-2001, 12:43 AM
one more question...driving with a cai in a normal rainstorm isnt goin to cause water to be sucked into my engine is it? i would pretty much have to drive through a schwole ass puddle right? how much power do you lose if you just go with the short intake?thx

CivicRacerX
12-12-2001, 12:58 AM
A little rain isn't going to suck water into your engine. Basically, you have to immerse the filter in water, or cause so much water to be shot at it that it can't pull in air instead. Water is a lot heavier than air, and if you construct your piping correctly, water will not travel up the tube unless you've submerged the filter and thus caused a pressurized seal with the water.

Please note the following: A wheel well, contrary to popular opinion, is a shitty place to put an intake. While it's better than right up in the engine bay because the air will be cooler, you're going to get much better performance if you can locate the end of the tube close to a section of the car that actually gets a nice high pressure from the oncoming, cooler air that you're trying to get to in the first place. Your wheel wells do not get that kind of pressure at all, and are really a dead spot in the pressure-map along your car's front end. If you're going to custom your intake, you may as well make it more efficient, and put it somewhere worthwhile. Just my $.02

:devil:

SchwoliePatrol
12-12-2001, 01:08 AM
well where would the best spot be?

CivicRacerX
12-12-2001, 01:39 PM
If you can put it somewhere towards the front of the car, that would be ideal, as the front fascia is the area of highest air pressure on the vehicle. I know a lot of people who have put it down by the bumper, near one of the areas that looks like a foglight mount, or a little vent on the 6th gens. If you do so, make sure you have a significantly steep climb in a part of the pipe, to ensure that you won't take in water.

The ** is the area I'm talking about. This drawing is really really bad, but you get the idea. Things to consider are whether or not your car has been drastically lowered, or if you're willing to fabricate the new bends and length of pipe for the custom fit. The wheel well is still better then running a short pipe in the engine bay, but like I said, the front is the best place.

./__).........H............(__\
|==================|
|_**______________**_|

Spinalfury
12-15-2001, 03:43 PM
that place that he said where it looks like the foglight should go is the perfect place especially if you take an exacto knife and make those vents alittle more open because they have those vertical plastic peices then there is flat plastic that blocks like one side cut that out and leave the vertical plastic lines youll know what im talkin about if you go out and look at it just angle your filter to where the top where you should have a hole with element inside to where it sucks air from that vent you can do that by puting yourself a pipe from the short stack through that hole the stock plastic pipe went in then a separate piece of pipe with your desired angle with the filter on it you will most likely have to remove your bumper to do this but ive heard its a nice mod im considering converting my hot air intake (apc) into a cold air intake doing those steps shouldnt be hard.

ric
12-15-2001, 05:40 PM
just remember not to make a thousand bends to get your filter placed where you want it.

cause we "all" know bends are restrictive, and restriction is bad.

Add your comment to this topic!