Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Bonneville GXP

Hudson
07-02-2003, 11:54 AM
So, nobody cares that they're coming out with the Bonneville GXP powered by a 275hp version of Cadillac's Northstar 4.6L DOHC V8?

Flatrater
07-02-2003, 06:14 PM
Now thats scary! Also they are coming out with:

Grand AM GXP
Grand Prix GXP
Sunfire GXP

dbartoschek
07-03-2003, 08:53 PM
yea, these cars will own the road! it's about time GM got their ass in gear.

Michael_S
11-17-2003, 10:50 AM
It sounds awesome, but I have two problems with it.

1. The Northstar V8 GM is putting in the Bonneville gets over 300 horsepower in the Cadillac XLR, Deville, and SRX. Maybe they have a good reason for only giving the Bonneville 275 horsepower. If they're just nerfing it so it isn't as good as the Cadillacs, though, they're going to annoy a lot of people.

2. The Bonneville GXP is front wheel drive. For something that's supposed to be a performance car, rear wheel drive or all wheel drive would be much better. Supposedly GM plans on moving back to RWD for its big sedans anyway for 2006 or 2007. I sure hope so.

BryantGTP
11-17-2003, 02:48 PM
It sounds awesome, but I have two problems with it.

1. The Northstar V8 GM is putting in the Bonneville gets over 300 horsepower in the Cadillac XLR, Deville, and SRX. Maybe they have a good reason for only giving the Bonneville 275 horsepower. If they're just nerfing it so it isn't as good as the Cadillacs, though, they're going to annoy a lot of people.

it's called torque-steer, GM doesn't want anymore power than that in a front-wheel drive car.

Michael_S
11-18-2003, 07:35 AM
it's called torque-steer, GM doesn't want anymore power than that in a front-wheel drive car.

:smile: Hence my 2nd comment that the car should really be RWD.

BryantGTP
11-18-2003, 10:27 AM
:smile: Hence my 2nd comment that the car should really be RWD.
Exactly. When the Bonnie is segmentally broken down, it's basically a cheaper alternative to a Cadillac. I'm not putting the car down here. In 2005, the STS is going to RWD. At this point, you might see the Bonnie follow the lead and get some power because of this. Let's hope.

Michael_S
11-18-2003, 03:04 PM
Exactly. When the Bonnie is segmentally broken down, it's basically a cheaper alternative to a Cadillac. I'm not putting the car down here. In 2005, the STS is going to RWD. At this point, you might see the Bonnie follow the lead and get some power because of this. Let's hope.

:biggrin: You bet your *censored* I'm hoping it goes to RWD and gets more power.

markwb
11-18-2003, 04:43 PM
nobody cares that they're coming out with the Bonneville GXP
Yeah, I care, but I ain't got enough money for one of them bonnies yet. I have a few more years I can get out of this one also. :)

Mark

dkipps
11-20-2003, 02:03 AM

The caddy engine is 4.6 liters, the GXP engine will be 4.4 liters. Different engine. Olds has a 4.0 liter they used in the Aurora w/250HP. Caddy has never liked to share.

dkipps
11-20-2003, 02:08 AM
I stand corrected! Pontiac.com does state 4.6L/275HP. I don't know where I got that bad info, sorry!

Michael_S
11-20-2003, 09:56 AM
I stand corrected! Pontiac.com does state 4.6L/275HP. I don't know where I got that bad info, sorry!

Not a problem. I had read that Pontiac was getting a 4.4 liter V8 too... but most of the recent press on the car states "Cadillac NorthStar V8".

markwb
11-22-2003, 01:50 PM
I read somewhere that it is a de-stroked (not sure exact meaning) version of the Northstar.

Michael_S
11-22-2003, 10:50 PM
I read somewhere that it is a de-stroked (not sure exact meaning) version of the Northstar.

Stroke is the distance your cylinders move up and down while the engine is running. The shorter the distance, the less fuel and air you can put in the cylinder, so the less power you get.

Add your comment to this topic!