Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
Morsetaper
AF Newbie

cooling system conundrum

I have a '96 Ram Van, 5.2L. It had developed a minor coolant leak, but since the weather had been so rotten, and it was such a minor leak-required topping off about every 1 1/2 weeks-I decided to just deal with it for awhile. Last week on my last day off, I realized that the leak was becoming more serious, and required attention.
Not having any free time for a couple of days, I dumped a bottle of Bar's Leaks into it to hold me temporarily. That worked, it held liquid, but...the van runs warm. Not to the point of overheating, but it's gettin' close. I'm only using it to and from work. 20 miles each way on the highway, and it gets close to overheating-but not quite.
I poked around a little yesterday and traced the leak to a heater hose. Replaced that and the leak is fixed. Refilled the radiator, eliminated all of the air that I could, and made sure the reservoir had the proper amount of coolant. Same condition. Runs warm almost to the point of overheating, but the system is full and not leaking at all.
Here are a few more details:

The engine comes up to just above normal operating temperature, then temp drops slightly, as it always has when everything is normal, so I think the thermostat is okay. It is after this point that the temp gradually creeps up.

Remanufactured water pump installed in October '09.

I can't detect any coolant flowing through the upper radiator hose, at any time, nor does the heater seem to be providing the heat it normally would.

It was suggested to me that there may be air trapped in the system, restricting flow. Especially since the hose was near the highest point in the system. Does this sound plausible? If so, what might be the best method for eliminating it?

I know a lot of the symptoms indicate an impeller problem with the pump, but I'd like to extinguish all of the easy possibilities before I pull that thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Morsetaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
alloro
AF Enthusiast

Re: cooling system conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsetaper View Post
I dumped a bottle of Bar's Leaks into it to hold me temporarily. That worked, it held liquid, but...the van runs warm.
This is likely the cause of your new problem and not just a coincidence. First thing to try is back-flushing the heater core and radiator, as well as flushing the engine block. Replace the t-stat and fill the system back up and see how it goes. If that doesn't work, you might end up replacing both the radiator and heater core.
alloro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:06 AM   #3
Morsetaper
AF Newbie

Is there any "easy" way to access the thermostat on this thing?
Old 03-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
alloro
AF Enthusiast

Nope, you're stuck doing it the hard way.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:22 AM   #5
Morsetaper
AF Newbie

Oh well. FWIW, I did flush it yesterday, just to see if I could dislodge any air that might be trapped. It seems to be running a little cooler now, but not enough to consider it "normal". Don't know if I actually dislodged air or just freed up the T-stat some (or both), but it seemed like there was a lot of air bubbling out, and I now have coolant in the upper radiator hose, whereas I had none before. Guess I'll tear into it tomorrow.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:27 AM   #6
Morsetaper
AF Newbie

BTW, lemmee see if I got this straight. I gotta' drop the alternator and A/C compressor, and remove the mounting bracket in order to access the T-stat housing?

Old 03-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #7
alloro
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
BTW, lemmee see if I got this straight. I gotta' drop the alternator and A/C compressor, and remove the mounting bracket in order to access the T-stat housing?
Give that man a cigar!
Old 03-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #8
Morsetaper
AF Newbie

Re: cooling system conundrum-updated

Well, I tore into it and replaced the T-stat. No change-still runs warm. Might even be running warmer than before. I suppose I'm looking at pulling the water pump again?

Also, after I test drove it, and found that I had corrected nothing, I parked it, and continued to let it run for a couple of minutes. Shortly after, it began to shudder, and then it stalled, and now it will not start. Any clues on that one? I'm letting it cool down right now, and I'll go out and see if it starts later.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:53 PM   #9
alloro
AF Enthusiast

Re: cooling system conundrum-updated

Quote:
Shortly after, it began to shudder, and then it stalled
Maybe it overheated.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:44 PM   #10
Morsetaper
AF Newbie

I dunno. Seemed kind of unlikely to me, as the gauge hadn't been maxed out, and it wasn't boiling. I had driven it up to this point a number of times previously, without this happening. Any way, I'm getting ready to find out in just a minute.

Nope-won't start at all.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van