Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Eclipse Problem Diagnosis
Eclipse Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 10:54 PM   #1
21sprint
AF Newbie

Timing pulley alignment ?

I'm working on a 95 Eclipse non turbo 2.0L. The original engine started knocking so I bought a good used engine. I figured a new belt and waterpump should be installed before putting engine back in. I just put a new belt on a 99 Dodge Stratus with a 2.4L. Then last week a 03 PT Cruiser with a 2.0L. Both of those you aligned the cam gears and both said front and a arrow pointing up. This Eclispe, both engines never being disturbed the gears line up, but one is upside down. I look at pictures in books and every one shows both cams either up or down on dowel pins both both are always pointing in same pattern. I'm afraid to put this engine back in until I find out otherwise.
21sprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Send a message via AIM to SilvrEclipse
Re: Timing pulley alignment ?

You are correct. When the timing marks are aligned the dowel pin on the intake can will point down and the exhaust cam dowel pin will point up. If weird that yours do not line up when the motor hasn't been messed with. I would line up the timing marks like you normally would and look and how the cams are positioned. Thats whats important, the dowel pins dont really matter as they could be set up different on your motor. When you first start to rotate the crank the intake valves on cylinder 1 should open, once the crank has made 1.5 rotation the exhaust valves should start to open. Make sure no valves are hitting when turning the motor. A pic of the gears lined up would be great, looking at my gears there is no way your situation can happen so something must be different.
Megasquirt 2 - Holset HY35 Turbo - Built motor - P&P Head and Intake - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - Aeromotive AFPR - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Zoom clutch - 13" Cobra Front Brakes - AEM WB - Devilsown meth injection - 3.55 Final Drive gear ratio

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i - DD
SilvrEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #3
21sprint
AF Newbie

I got the lines on the gears to line up fine. I was just wondering about the dowels not pointing in the same direction. It says front with a arrow on both gears, but one reads upside down when turned to exhaust stroke or compression. I thank you for responding, it sounds like I got it right if what I described is correct.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:24 PM   #4
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Send a message via AIM to SilvrEclipse

The dowel pins do not point in the the same direction. The intake cam dowel should point down and the exhaust cam dowel will point up.
Megasquirt 2 - Holset HY35 Turbo - Built motor - P&P Head and Intake - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - Aeromotive AFPR - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Zoom clutch - 13" Cobra Front Brakes - AEM WB - Devilsown meth injection - 3.55 Final Drive gear ratio

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i - DD
SilvrEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:56 AM   #5
21sprint
AF Newbie

Thank's alot, I'm installing the engine tomorrow if the weather holds out!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Eclipse Problem Diagnosis