Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 03:24 AM   #1
esmartuek
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to esmartuek Send a message via AIM to esmartuek Send a message via MSN to esmartuek Send a message via Yahoo to esmartuek
Oops, it expoded.

I just reinstalled some heads on a chevy 4.3 V6 in a 92 astro and after what seemed like ages, my buddy and I finally decided it was about time to start it. (no alcohol was involved [in the serious stages of the repair])
Only things not assembled was the front grill at this point. 2AM and we're cranking it, tweaking the distributor in case it was off to begin with, when we realized the fuel lines have been disconnected for a while, I stepped on the gas lightly and BAM the passenger side valve cover is spewing noxious smoke and the oil fill cap went airborne for 50'. (PCV valve tried it's best too)
I know the distributor wasn't that far from 0degrees. (unless it was somehow at 180)
When I worked on my Camaro's distributor and whatnot, I never had such strange occurrences.
Before I tear this thing apart to survey the damage, off the top of your head, what kind of damage am I going to be looking at and what situation would have caused this?
I'm stumped.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:55 AM   #2
Blt2Lst
AF Enthusiast

Re: Oops, it expoded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmartuek View Post
I just reinstalled some heads on a chevy 4.3 V6 in a 92 astro and after what seemed like ages, my buddy and I finally decided it was about time to start it. (no alcohol was involved [in the serious stages of the repair])
Only things not assembled was the front grill at this point. 2AM and we're cranking it, tweaking the distributor in case it was off to begin with, when we realized the fuel lines have been disconnected for a while, I stepped on the gas lightly and BAM the passenger side valve cover is spewing noxious smoke and the oil fill cap went airborne for 50'. (PCV valve tried it's best too)
I know the distributor wasn't that far from 0degrees. (unless it was somehow at 180)
When I worked on my Camaro's distributor and whatnot, I never had such strange occurrences.
Before I tear this thing apart to survey the damage, off the top of your head, what kind of damage am I going to be looking at and what situation would have caused this?
I'm stumped.
I would recheck your timing first and confirm that it is not 180 out.
1996 Suzuki RMX250

I'm a victim of circumstance [
Blt2Lst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
esmartuek
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to esmartuek Send a message via AIM to esmartuek Send a message via MSN to esmartuek Send a message via Yahoo to esmartuek

Everything important appears to be undamaged. I had a good look around with the valve covers off, then ran a compression test (which showed that I need to look at the rings some day, but it's not vital right now)
The valve covers looked like they've been through hell. I tried to fix the damage, they still don't fit right, though.

I'm well aware that the timing was probably 180 off. That's been rectified.
Brand new cylinder heads (valves, springs, etc.)
All new gaskets and whatnot of course.
Yet compression tests still show 100+psi.
My question remains: what in all engine physics could have caused it to have fired in such an odd location as under a valve cover?
Old 12-19-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

You may have old spark plug wires that are 'leaking' spark energy. When this happens, you get almost-random sparking anywhere the wires run close to a ground, like the engine block or valve covers, etc.

If the valve cover itself was not well-grounded, the spark energy could have induced a spark internally, inside the valve cover area.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #5
esmartuek
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
You may have old spark plug wires that are 'leaking' spark energy.
New wires and plugs, but I'll make sure to route them far from the covers this time. Thank you.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:24 PM   #6
MagicRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmartuek View Post
New wires and plugs, but I'll make sure to route them far from the covers this time. Thank you.
Good idea.

To expand on my earlier post, I think electrostatic induction can cause problems. Although this may not be the most accurate term to describe the phenomenon, even new wires are subject to this.... which is why you should never use metal plug wire supports.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:07 AM   #7
534BC
AF Enthusiast

The first thing I thought of was that there was fuel leaking into the crankcase from the lines and lit up somehow. Is that what happened perhaps?
534BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:37 PM   #8
MagicRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 534BC View Post
The first thing I thought of was that there was fuel leaking into the crankcase from the lines and lit up somehow. Is that what happened perhaps?
That was my assumption.

IMO the mystery is the source of the ignition
Old 12-20-2009, 11:12 PM   #9
esmartuek
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
That was my assumption.

IMO the mystery is the source of the ignition
I'll try to have someone record video tomorrow when I start it again. If it occurs again (after I've been checking over EVERYTHING from the valves up) then I will post it for analysis.
Lets just hope that it was only a fluke and that it all starts up just fine. I have the battery charging overnight right now as the compression testing pretty much killed it.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical