Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
rkjimmy2001
AF Newbie

Transmission... Still alittle confused

I recently changed the fluid and filter in my 2001 GMC Jimmy 4wd. I bought both filters since I was unsure if i had a deep or shallow pan. The deep pan filter didn't seem to want to fit right. It wouldn't let the pan seat right to the bottom of the trans. So I used the shallow pan filter. But after some searching I'm alittle confused. From what I've read the deep pan is stepped toward the rear of the pan. Making it shallower but not by much. Thats what my pan looked like. So is that how the deep pan filter fits, real real snug or was I right to use the shallow pan filter with the pan I have? I have seen a lot of different information on which pan is on this vehicle.
rkjimmy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:01 PM   #2
blazes9395
Newbie mod

Re: Transmission... Still alittle confused

If you have the deeper pan, you really should go with the longer, deeper filter. Using the filter for the shallow pan will work, but under acceleration, or turning, you could run the tranny dry. If you have a stepped pan to the back, you have a deep pan, plus its a '01 almost for sure has a deep pan. The deep pan filter is the same as the shallow pan one, but the snout is longer and the top of the filter has a plastic ridge all around it making the filter sit lower off the valve body and yes it should be right snug up to the valve body.
blazes9395 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy