Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 04:05 PM   #1
tonysilvachico
AF Newbie

Now it stalls when I put in gear.

OK. What the F ???!!!...now my 1991 accord wont stay running when I put it in reverse or any of the foward driving gears (and start rolling). The tranny is an automatic. A couple of days ago the car only stalled whenever I would apply the brakes at a stop sign or at a red light. Anyhow, so far, I have replaced the throttle position sensor and the entire thing it is rivited onto. Also, I removed...disassembled...reassembled the entire distributor. Also I changed what I think is the VSS (vehicle speed sensor???) My speedometer still is not working....but prior to the car stalling...the speedo wasn't working either..so I din't think the actual speedometer has any thing to do with why the car stalls when I try to drive it. I hate wasting time. This is my first Honda and I don't want to get discouraged...I dont want to take it to a shop either. I WANT to do the work my self. I can hear the fuel pump working when I turn the key to the "run" position, but when I loosened the bolt on the fuel-rail-inlet, barely any fuel came out. I could see the gas spilling out over the end of the fuel rail...but I always thought fuel injected cars were supposed to have alot of pressure???!!! When the car is running in park or neutral it runs really good. No stalling, sputtering. I can rev it up to 5 or s grand and it seems to rev up really strong. Plenty of fuel...it's only stalls when I put it in gear.Someones gotta have an answer for this one....
tonysilvachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Re: Now it stalls when I put in gear.

Reading your other post it sounds kind of typical of a torque convertor lockup that is stuck applied...

Will act like you are driving a stick shift and forgot to put the clutch in as you stop...is this what it's doing? Or no?

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
tonysilvachico
AF Newbie

The car starts up fine. Lots of power when I rev it up in neutral or in park. I can even press the brake and shift the gear selector into drive or reverse, and as long as I KEEP THE CAR FROM ROLLING...it will idle fine...but as soon as the car starts moving it will stall.

I've tried to let the car idle in gear and allow it to roll and it stalls.

Next I think I am going to try to idle the car put it in neutral and let it roll down my driveway......Cause I am thinking this problem has something to do with the computer measuring distance, not necessarily speed, air flow, fuel, or spark.

And where is the vehicle speed sensor located??? I swapped something that my brother said he "thinks" is the VSS. But I don't know for sure what it is. The part I think is the VSS has two 10mm bolts holding it onto the top of the tranny. Inside this sensor was a little post thing with a square shaft at one end and butterflied opposite. Like a drive key or something similar. With a 3 wire electrical connection. It is located approximately 5 to 6 inches below the Thermostat housing......down between the throttle position sensor housing and the #1 cylinder.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
tonysilvachico
AF Newbie

Ok...so I am having a rough time with this car....When the car is is in neutral...engine running...rolling down my drive way...it stalls. Seems like the car runs good till it rolls any kind of distance.

I have a parts car. I've been switching parts back and forth trying to fix (or atleast narrow down) the problem....TPS...VSS...ECM...Distributor...Main Relay...

So I guess my next step would be to swap the transmission control module. I've been putting this off mainly because the parts car I have does NOT have a sport shift mode.

The main differences between my parts car and the one I want to get going again is as follows::::Parts car has ABS brakes...air bags...and a non-sport shift automatic tranny. Would the TCM be the same for an a/t WITH sport shift as WITHOUT sport shift. I mean...whether or not the car comes with or without sport shift...would the TCM still have the wire terminals in the plug for the cars with sport shift button???
Old 09-29-2009, 01:30 PM   #5
tonysilvachico
AF Newbie

Ok...I feel retarded. The car has a little bit under a quarter tank of gas. When on level ground the car runs smoothly...really good...I put the car in gear, and once it starts rolling it stalls. I been scratching my head with this situation for too long!!! So I finally call my dad and ask his advice. He asks me some questions regarding the car. I tell him everything that has been going on with it, I tell him what parts I've swapped out and replaced. I tell him about how it would stall when I push the brake pedal. And so, basically I tell him I am ready to swap out the tranny...'cause I'm thinking the problem has something to do with that!!! And he tells me to go outside & start the car. So I start it up then I say, "what's next...the cars running but I cant roll it or it will die". My dad tells me to not roll it nor put it in gear, instead he tells me to PUT MY FOOT ON THE CORNER SIDE EDGE OF THE BACK BUMPER AND SHAKE THE CAR...SIDE TO SIDE. So anyhow I'm thinking "WTF good is that gonna do"? But I do as my Pops asks and sure enough the car died. It stalls from me shaking the rear of the car. My dad tells me to drop the gas tank and reattach the fuel pick-up tube to the pump. WHAT THE FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That fixed the problem. It was the stupid fuel pick-up tube that somehow fell off the pump!!! Yes the gas guage was showing that there was a sufficient amount of fuel in the tank

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid