Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
JOET/CAMRY
AF Regular

Water pump replacement on a 1989 Toyota Camry.

Hello,

I have a 1989 Camry with around 249,000 miles on it and will be replacing the timing belt and water pump in the next couple of weeks.

The water pump is an original Toyota brand name one that was last replaced a 86,000 miles. so doing the math it has around 163,000 miles on it. I would like to know what is a good quaility brand name water pump. Autozone sells the Duralast brand name and I was reading on the internet that Duralast water pumps are poor quaility. What name brand water pumps are made in Japan?

The Toyota brand water pumps sell for about $108.00 and didn't want to pay that much. Thanks.

JOET/CAMRY
JOET/CAMRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:42 AM   #2
jdmccright
The RustBuster

Re: Water pump replacement on a 1989 Toyota Camry.

I like to think of it another way...what is the cost of the part versus the time and effort to replace it worth? On most longitudinal-mounted engines, the water pump is right out front and easy to get to. But to replace the transverse-mounted Camry's pump, it requires removing the timing belt, CS pulley, etc., and all the retiming work to make sure everything is still aligned.

The only redeeming quality about buying aftermarket is usually a decent warranty period. If it leaks, you get a new one free. But who wants to replace a water pump every couple of years on this car even if it is free?

Yeah, $108 is alot for a pump, but you got over 150k miles out of it and you won't have to replace it again for what, 10 years?

Case in point, the one I got with a timing belt kit from eBay did not have the nice stamped stainless steel impeller that my OEM had. It was a cast impeller of unknown material (presumably iron). While I haven't had any cooling issues (save for an aged radiator), I just have that feeling that I ought to keep a close eye on it. Well, you get my point....

If you can swallow it, I'd try to get the Toyota one. If you absolutely must go AM, at least get the one with the best warranty and highest quality. Good luck!
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:01 AM   #3
hittmann81
AF Newbie

Re: Water pump replacement on a 1989 Toyota Camry.

Replacing the water pump on my 89 camry was the worst job I've ever had to do on any car. There is next to no space to swing spanners at that end of the motor.
hittmann81 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista