Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Eclipse Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Eclipse Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
tsi95
AF Newbie

car wont stay running

The other day I was out with friends and my car just suddenly died while driving into the parking lot. Tried to start it up but didn't want to turn over. since i live in a town with hot weather i thought just letting it cool off for about an hour and maybe try again.
Still didn't want to turn over, but when i would crank it and step on the gas it would stay on but i would have to keep my foot on the gas, and that's how I drove home with one foot on the brake the other on the gas so the car wouldn't die on me when I would come to a stop. Driving around the freeway it feels normal no loss of power or struggling only when I come to a stop.
Next day checked the IAC and works fine. Also saw a coolant leak and got that fixed and changed the temp sensor. Started the car and everything seemed fine until i put it in gear and it was doing it again had to keep my foot on the gas whenever i came to a stop, got back home and the car again would not start checked my boost gauge and it was showing that I have a vacuum leak that didn't show the day before. Looked at all my hoses and could' t find or hear a leak.
Does anyone know what else i can check?
Throughout this whole time the CEL hasn't come on.
tsi95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:42 PM   #2
boostjunkie333
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to boostjunkie333
Re: car wont stay running

now there could be a better fix, lol, just to make that clear, but if you want to fix it for now until you get it fixed later(or find a better answer) you could just adjust the throttle cable so that it idles slightly higher than usual...

worked for me in the past...

but like i say, keep searching for the "correct" answer, this is just a temp fix...you need to still find the culprit

Hahn stage IV S16G-Portfueler w/400cc inj-1:1 Aeromotive FPR-Split sec fuel controller-Walbro 255lph FP-240cc inj-Hahn fuel mapper-JE pistons(8.1:1)-Total Seal rings-Eagle rods-ARP studs-AEM filter-C&R radiator-Hahn 3''downpipe & cat-Thermal Eng. 3''catback-LUK clutch & flywheel-Eibach springs-Eibach offset bushings-KYB GR2 struts-Strut bars-Lower rear tie bar-GReddy boost controller-Apexi T timer-Powerslot rotors-Gloshift gauges
boostjunkie333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:02 PM   #3
Blackcrow64
AF Moderator

The best way to find a vacuum leak is to make a cap for right on your turbo where the intake normally goes and charge it with an air compressor. (While the car is off of course) Once you put boost to the system you should be able to hear any obvious leaks. I would check that first. Here is a writeup on doing it...

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html
  • 05 Cobalt LS sold
  • 02 Tahoe LT sold
  • 06 Cadillac STS4 AWD sold
  • 03 Corvette Z06
  • 14 Silverado 1500
Blackcrow64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:24 AM   #4
tsi95
AF Newbie

OK, I installed a new fuel filter, new spark plugs, cleaned out the throttle body, took it for a run and it still would die on me at a stop, I checked my gauge and it showed me no leak. I bypassed the gauge to see if it would work but it still dies. I got tired of it so i adjusted the BISS screw and for the meantime the car runs fine.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:30 PM   #5
tsi95
AF Newbie

CEL came on today p0400 EGR malfunction. ordered it should be here tomorrow
Old 08-10-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
tsi95
AF Newbie

ok new problem now. after i installed the new EGR valve i had to adjust the BISS screw and everything seemed fine. once driven for a long time the car idles high around 1500-2000 at idle while in park.
if put into gear the idle drops back down to about 1000. but this only happens when its hot. i checked out my boost gauge while in park and stepped on it and it shows that i have a leak, but when driving there is no problem it boosts fine!!!
i've already checked the IAC tested the TPS. do the readings have to be exact as in the instructions on vfaq? mine are 4.5 and when i move the throttle it reads .6 to 4.6. because i read that it has to be .9 to 5 or are my readings ok?

the only thing i need to try is a vacuum leak test which i need to build one, but does anyone know anything else that could be causing the problem?
Old 08-10-2009, 10:21 PM   #7
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Send a message via AIM to SilvrEclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsi95 View Post
i checked out my boost gauge while in park and stepped on it and it shows that i have a leak, but when driving there is no problem it boosts fine!!!

How does this prove you have a vac leak?
Megasquirt 2 - Holset HY35 Turbo - Built motor - P&P Head and Intake - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - Aeromotive AFPR - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Zoom clutch - 13" Cobra Front Brakes - AEM WB - Devilsown meth injection - 3.55 Final Drive gear ratio

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i - DD
SilvrEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:38 PM   #8
david-b
Dave is THAT guy

Send a message via AIM to david-b Send a message via MSN to david-b Send a message via Yahoo to david-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvrEclipse View Post
How does this prove you have a vac leak?
I had this same question and I lost internet connection as I was posting it and forgot to come back to it.

75 Monte Carlo
SBC 400 6.6L, Aluminum heads, Hurricane Intake...

12 Chevy Sonic 1LZ 1.8L - Traded
01 Pontiac Grand Am SE - RIP
95 Eagle Talon ESi-T 5spd - RIP
88 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera- RIP
david-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:40 PM   #9
tsi95
AF Newbie

usually as i step on the gas the needle goes up to normal(0), but when i step on the gas the needle jumps up to about 10 vac side then drops back down to 15-20 loosing pressure while still stepping on the gas.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Eclipse Problem Diagnosis