Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 11:26 PM   #1
RI1470
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to RI1470
2000 Jimmy Suspension Noise

I think that I've got this problem figured out, but I want to look for a little more advice on here. I've got a 2000 Jimmy SLT 4x4 that has a constant "thump, thump, thump" on every rotation of the front drivers wheel. Having previously been told by a mechanic that I needed an inner tie-rod and a lower ball joint on that side, it would fix that noise and problem. Since they were the original I changed them both, but the noise is still there. From what I've read on here there is a history of bad wheel bearings on these trucks, and I think that the wheel bearing is the culprit this time. The noise started some time ago, and was only noticeable when there was turning at highway speeds, and has gradually gotten worse to the constant thumping on every rotation.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here, could it be something else (it's not the tire), and how difficult is the job to replace these compared to the lower ball joint where it seemed like you had to take half of the truck apart to get to it? From what I could tell doing the ball joint, it's just remove the tire, brake caliper and mount, disconnect the axle shaft from the hub, remove the ABS sensor, and unbolt the hub from the steering knuckle. Did I miss something, or zat about it? One last thing, is it a sealed bearing or is it one that you have to pack yourself like the old style bearing in the brake rotor?

Thanks in advance!

***UPDATE***

So it does seem that when I'm turning left at speed, the left side either bearing, or cv joint tends to roar a little more than the normal sound, however when I turn right, there is either no change to the noise, or the noise actually get's quieter? Does that help narrow down the cause to to the wheel bearing or the cv joint?

Thank

Last edited by RI1470; 07-27-2009 at 01:19 PM. Reason: updated information
RI1470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:50 AM   #2
toddman67
AF Regular

Re: 2000 Jimmy Suspension Noise

You may be correct on the wheel bearing issue. It is a pretty straight forward repair. Sealed bearing?...yes. The new asm would come with a new ABS sensor and harness.
Before replacing it I would check the CV joints and shaft for excessive play. Also check for torn boots and possible contamination or dry situation.
Lastly, I'm sure you have checked the sway bar links?
Old 07-25-2009, 07:45 AM   #3
b1lk1
AF Regular

Swap the front tire to the back and see if the noise follows. Sure sounds like a bad tire to me since a wheel bearing will make a constant grinding noise.

b1lk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:34 PM   #4
RI1470
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to RI1470

So, I know that this update is a little late in coming, but it turns out that while the tire seems to have thrown a wheel weight (which lead to the vibration) the Roar, and Thumping noise was solved by changing the wheel bearing. All in all it wasn't a bad repair (my first time doing this repair), I just hope that I don't have to do it again.
RI1470 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy