Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
kegster
AF Newbie

Arrow 02 Silverado shakes when braking.

2002 Silverado shakes when I brake. Thought that it might be the rotors, had them turned. They were worn. Did not make a difference in the shake. Anyone know what it might would be? Also it is a Z71 w/ 110,000 miles. Thanks.
kegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
toddman67
AF Regular

Re: 02 Silverado shakes when braking.

Check for scale build up between rotors and hubs. These mating sufaces must be clean and free of rust build up. While you're at it check for stiff and or worn out wheel hub bearings.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
kegster
AF Newbie

I checked all the bearings (turned the hub and felt for any tough areas) when I removed the rotors, they seemed fine. Didnt notice and rust or scale buildup. But I will check again. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:05 PM   #4
kbaird83
AF Newbie

what kind of shape are the tires in? does it shake at highway speeds as well or only upon braking?
kbaird83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegster View Post
2002 Silverado shakes when I brake. Thought that it might be the rotors, had them turned. They were worn. Did not make a difference in the shake. Anyone know what it might would be? Also it is a Z71 w/ 110,000 miles. Thanks.

If the brake calipers/pads are binding this will occur....

also cutting of the worn rotors is not recommended...the thickness after many thousands of miles along with the internal corrosion makes cutting a waste of time/cash..

before installing new rotors make sure the caliper/pads slide easy,,,if they are binding [pads too large,caliper pins rusted,bad rusted contaminated caliper piston, etc,,,]fix this first..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:32 PM   #6
ronaldk
AF Regular

did you check tie rod ends, up & lower ball joints, etc in front end? also is there abs felling when you apply brakes could be abs problem i believe you can remove abs fuse disabling abs so you can determine if problem or not. i like abs but not when it has problems. if this is problem please fix dont leave fuse out! remember when you press the brakes it stops the entire veh putting pressure on everything not just rotors.
ronaldk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:55 PM   #7
kegster
AF Newbie

Tires are new and in great shape. 275/70/16 i think. What ever the recommended tire size is. I rotors were turned once before so this is the 2nd time they were turned. The comp is not showing any ABS problems. I will check everything again. Would you recommend changing the pads? They are not worn out but I have owned the vehicle since dec 07 and have not changed them and I assume the are factory orginals.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #8
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegster View Post
Tires are new and in great shape. 275/70/16 i think. What ever the recommended tire size is. I rotors were turned once before so this is the 2nd time they were turned. The comp is not showing any ABS problems. I will check everything again. Would you recommend changing the pads? They are not worn out but I have owned the vehicle since dec 07 and have not changed them and I assume the are factory orginals.
my vehicle is 2000 sil 4X4,,,120,ooomi...original rotors never cut,,,still no brake vib's....

obviously you are not aware of these defective brakes ,,,and the problems I mentioned concerning bad caliper design and the issues of other brake componets...
since I am aware and take the extra time/effort to address these oem failures to make a quality brake system ,,I have been rewarded with rotors that are still not heat damaged..

there was a recent posting here where new pads needed to be filed so as to fit properly,,,its all china crap....

been there and done that several times...
Old 07-08-2009, 06:50 AM   #9
isie
AF Newbie

I have a 03 1500 z71 with 88,000 miles and original brakes and pads and no problems whatsoever, also have a 03 2500hd with 135,000 miles and same thing. the brakes are still at about 85% and all the rotors are still in great shape.no these trucks are not babied. mine I use every week to haul water, and is a dailly driver as is my wifes. they also pull horse trailers, gravity wagons farm equipment, and other broken down cars. There are alot of these trucks here and I have not seen the bad brake design you speak of. My buddies and I have been getting very good service out of the brake design. I have even talked to people that said they have taken their cars and trucks to the dealer or shop because they figured it was about do for them and were surprised that they were still in good shape and plenty of miles left. that said there are cases where people abuse there brakes and I am not saying if you replced them already that you abuse them, they will wear out. I have seen people pulling trailers with no brake controlers and they say it stops just fine then cant figured out why they burn thru brakes or they ride the brake or wait to the last second then really lay on it. these all will destroy brakes quickly.
isie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:06 AM   #10
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by isie View Post
I have a 03 1500 z71 with 88,000 miles and original brakes and pads and no problems whatsoever, also have a 03 2500hd with 135,000 miles and same thing. the brakes are still at about 85% and all the rotors are still in great shape.no these trucks are not babied. mine I use every week to haul water, and is a dailly driver as is my wifes. they also pull horse trailers, gravity wagons farm equipment, and other broken down cars. There are alot of these trucks here and I have not seen the bad brake design you speak of. My buddies and I have been getting very good service out of the brake design. I have even talked to people that said they have taken their cars and trucks to the dealer or shop because they figured it was about do for them and were surprised that they were still in good shape and plenty of miles left. that said there are cases where people abuse there brakes and I am not saying if you replced them already that you abuse them, they will wear out. I have seen people pulling trailers with no brake controlers and they say it stops just fine then cant figured out why they burn thru brakes or they ride the brake or wait to the last second then really lay on it. these all will destroy brakes quickly.
this is the first time I every heard of positive comments concerning these chevrolet trucks 1999- up with

no brake,,,problems,,,,obviously , I researched this back in 2001 only to find it was widespread.

my first failure was at 20,ooomi...pads seized, caliper pins rusted solid...I call that defective design...how does a vehicle owner abuse a vehicle to get that to happen ???

driving on roads treated with ice melt chemicals ???
GM shoulld have put that in the owners manual..

then later on these forums same issues with members having problems...

no problems with the other vehicles,,,,though...same operating environment...
Old 07-08-2009, 09:14 AM   #11
isie
AF Newbie

I didnt say that all were abused. I didnt research it I live it, there are alot of these trucks here in northeast ohio and yes I have done alot of repairs for people, I live in the county in ohio (huron) with one of the largest uneployment rates and I do alot of repairs for free as people do not have alot of money and I have seen these brakes last along time, even on farm truck the are lasting. so I personally think that they are a good design and last.
isie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:14 AM   #12
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by isie View Post
I didnt say that all were abused. I didnt research it I so I personally think that they are a good design and last.
I respect your opinion,,,just like I said this is the first time I ever heard someone say they had no brake problems with these vehicles thats all...

I guess its that dealership term "ABUSED THE BRAKES",,,as away of explaining why many have had issues...with this...

I have to service the brakes every 10,ooomi..to ensure that they will not sieze up on me...every tire rotation....it's a PITA....
Old 07-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #13
waitingforcolumbus
AF Newbie

You wrote "rotors" and you meant all four? Mine shook and it was the rear rotors. Had them turned at 72,000 miles and good as new. Fronts are still original pads and rotors at 78,000.
waitingforcolumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:06 PM   #14
kbaird83
AF Newbie

my 02 has 101,000 miles and is still on origional pads and rotors. this is michigan also where we deal with alot of crap on the roads that tend to rust and seize everything up. my 98 s-10 needed new pads once a year and new rotors every 2 or so. im very impressed with the brakes on this truck.
kbaird83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:04 AM   #15
Jeremy-WI
AF Enthusiast

Check for bad u joints, my 96 shook very badly while braking and after I replaced the u joints the shaking quit. The u joints were in bad shape but didn't clunk much
Jeremy-WI is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
brakes , rotors , shake , silverado
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado