Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Econoline
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
G0ldRush
AF Newbie

Engine overhaul

After a few weeks of thinking, I came to the conclusion that my low oil pressure bugs me enough so, to getting my engine out of there and rebuild it.
I'm going to reground my crankshaft 75$ buy a new set of bearing 33$ new rear seal 15$

Old 05-15-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
G0ldRush
AF Newbie

more pics

Last edited by G0ldRush; 05-17-2009 at 03:23 PM.
G0ldRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
toddman67
AF Regular

Re: Engine overhaul

As bad as those bearings appear, I would consider having the rods checked. They may be egg shaped and if so you will probably be doing this again soon. The cam bearings are probably toasted as well. Do a good check on the rest of the engine. In the long run you will save time and money.
I would send the block out for a clean up, have new cam bearings installed, check the cylinders and hone. Buy an engine rebuild kit and get it back up to snuff.
This may seem excessive but in the end it will be worth it.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:06 PM   #4
wafrederick
Banned

You are better off getting a reman over rebuilding that engine.A reman is cheaper than rebuild.A reman from Jasper is at least $1200.00 with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty.Rebuilding is more expensive due to machine work that is needed and rebuilt engines from a machine shop have a 2 year warranty and some will not stand behind their work
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:56 PM   #5
G0ldRush
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddman67 View Post
As bad as those bearings appear, I would consider having the rods checked. They may be egg shaped and if so you will probably be doing this again soon. The cam bearings are probably toasted as well. Do a good check on the rest of the engine. In the long run you will save time and money.
I would send the block out for a clean up, have new cam bearings installed, check the cylinders and hone. Buy an engine rebuild kit and get it back up to snuff.
Before I decided to do this job, the van runs like champion untill last winter the head gasket blow at -35 C cold I run about 2 km untill someone on the highway told me that white smoke was coming out underneath, I panic and checked my temp gauge it was full hot I pulled out next exit and let it cool, I think this is the way I burned my bearing because the oil pressure was good before this happened. So I fix the head gasket and reinstall everythin new water pump. Engine back on the road nice running but low oil pressure, I was frustrated. I pulled the oil pan and put a new oil pump, nothing change. here am I now withe bearingjust having low oil pressure, I could live with it but here am I now, last year I did the head gasket because it was leaking in combustion chamber and probaly coolant in the oil that did not help the bearing, The engine is not noisy at all it runs smooth but I can hear the crank if I get close to it, I know the difference between a good and a bad. I nkow what you are trying to say about the piston the rods, theses have been checked

Connecting rods with elongated big end bores can cause similar problems. If the rod bearings show a diagonal or uneven wear pattern, it usually means the rod is twisted. Rods with elongated crank journal bores or twist must be reconditioned or replaced. On some newer engines such as Ford's 4.6L V8 with powder metal rods and "cracked" caps, rods with elongated bores cannot be reconditioned by grinding the caps because the caps do not have a machined mating surface. So the big end bores must be cut to accept bearings with oversized outside diameters if the bores are stretched or out-of-round.

In my case all the bearing that I took offf were not uneven good news for me.
Regarding the cam well I'm taking the chance to leave it like that.

This is where I'm going to bring my crank these guys are the best in town
http://www.mecaniquerm.com/montreal_mechanic_e.html
Old 05-16-2009, 07:24 AM   #6
toddman67
AF Regular

Good luck.
I hope everything works in you favor.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
G0ldRush
AF Newbie

Quote:
After all my friend you are right at the end I took off camshaft and checked and they are pretty good no play and clean cam journal, i'm happy about that
here's some pic

Old 05-17-2009, 03:50 PM   #8
toddman67
AF Regular

Very good, It never hurts to check. At least now you wont be second guessing yourself.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:35 PM   #9
G0ldRush
AF Newbie

Quote:

Crankshaft came back from the shop, he regrind it at .020 and give me aluminium main bearing . Clearance at main .002 clearance at rod .002 either, I'M very happy about that. He did a perfect job. Tomorrow the tranny is going back in the van.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:43 PM   #10
toddman67
AF Regular

Nice details, keep up the good work!
Old 05-27-2009, 07:06 AM   #11
G0ldRush
AF Newbie

Quote:
Since I put back my engine in the van it runs perfectly, oil pressure is awesome I'm very happy but the thing is that trans slips a bit and more on OD
no get up at 80 90 KM, the oil level is good, I dont know whats wrong need some help here...
Old 05-27-2009, 07:59 AM   #12
G0ldRush
AF Newbie

Hit me on the head

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0ldRush View Post
Since I put back my engine in the van it runs perfectly, oil pressure is awesome I'm very happy but the thing is that trans slips a bit and more on OD
no get up at 80 90 KM, the oil level is good, I dont know whats wrong need some help here...
After all this overhauling , I forgot to attach the throttle cable that connects from the transmission to the throttle body. This controls shift points . Wow I was freekin because the trans runs good before the engine rebuilded. I learned something, by the way what is going to be next hope nothing serious than just a brake job hehehehe. So see you again folks and thanks for listening.

Denis
Old 05-28-2009, 10:26 AM   #13
G0ldRush
AF Newbie

Ho forgot to say that my oil pressure is up at 50 psi cold and 45 psi at idle
Old 05-28-2009, 02:25 PM   #14
G0ldRush
AF Newbie

Ready for the big ride!

Quote:
Nice details, keep up the good work!

Have a nice and hot summer to all of you!

Denis

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Econoline