Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Eighty Eight
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Eighty Eight Includes the '97-'98 Regency and '96-'99 LSS Models
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 06:15 PM   #1
gtonick
AF Newbie

checking for codes on 94 delta 88

Hi there, I've posted a thread here before dealing with my headache of a car with no solutions and it is still a problem to this day, but for now i'll settle for finding out how to check codes on it. I have a check engine light that comes on periodically most of the time doesn't stay on for more than one drive cycle, but I'm sure it will still store codes. I recently took it to the local advance auto parts to pull codes, but they did not have the means to do this.

First they tried an obd II scanner, and I explained that it is not obd II but obd I and then they gave me a book to look at and try to pull codes. In reading this book it said to basically jump two pins on the diag term. and I did this but my car never entered the code showing mode(for lack of technical term), and i have not been able to see what codes my car is storing. So, how do i pull codes off of this car it is a 1994 olds delta 88 w/ 3.8 thanks.
gtonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:25 AM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: checking for codes on 94 delta 88

You most likely have the obd 1.5 transitional year in 94. This requires a scanner that can access this year any repair shop can do this or some entry level scanners such as the Actron 9145 for 200.00 can.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
L. Hansen
AF Newbie

You can contact the Actron technicians on an 800 number (find it online or on an Actron box). I had the same problem with my 94 Olds 88 Royale. Not all mechanics have a tool to read it. I found one in my area that read mine with a Tech II, but that's about a $5000. piece of equipment. Too high for my blood. Actron can tell you which ones they sell that will do it. They said mine has a OBDI system, and an OBDII connector. Something about being inbetween 1993 and 1996, the crossover period.
L. Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
moscow913
AF Newbie

Just went through that. OBD1 computer, OBDII (16-pin) plug. Bought an Auto-Xray scanner off of ebay for about a hundred bucks, then called the 800 number in the included paperwork and ordered from them the OBDII plug-in (another 50 bucks). Read things just fine, perfect in fact.
moscow913 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Eighty Eight