Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #1
sly_fox_xman
AF Newbie

White Smoke and Water from Tailpipe

I just bought a 1997 Oldsmobile Bravada, and it has a transmission leak. I am putting transmission oil in it until I can get my tax return back to buy a new transmission for it. Today, I started the truck up and poured water into the wiper fluid tank underneath the hood. Next, I noticed that it white smoke was coming from the tailpipe and water as well. The engine also started shaking like it wanted to cut off. I then noticed that the water I put in the wiper fluid tank was gone. Water was on the ground underneath from where the tank was located. The water from the tailpipe was odorless and felt like normal water. A large puddle of transmission oil was underneath the vehicle also. What could possibly be the problem? I don't think its a head gasket. I started it up 2 hours later, and the check engine light was on and white smoke was still coming out, but no water and the engine wasn't shaking.
sly_fox_xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
GLFarnes
AF Newbie

Re: White Smoke and Water from Tailpipe

I think you have multiple problems and not just one.

There is really no connection with the wiper fluid reservoir and the engine. Just look for a leak there.

The white smoke and spitting water could just be a shot of water in the gas and you may need to put some fuel treatment in the tank. I've had that happen to one of my vans and that was all I needed to do.

Look for oil in the radiator or water in the oil to rule out the head gasket situation.

Your going to have to get under it and find out where the transmission fluid is coming from as it may just be a bad gasket or some other simple problem.

1992 Bravada 4.3 Vortec Auto
1998 Astro 4.3 Vortec Auto
2000 Astro 4.3 Vortec Auto
GLFarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:49 AM   #3
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Are you sure you put water in the wiper tank and not the rad coolant tank?
The only way water in wiper jug cold make engine smoke is someone hooked the wiper jug hose to engine vavuum.

Start with checking the rad for full of coolant then check rad overflow coolant tank for being 1/2 full or up to level mark.
And look at the engine oil and dip stick for not being overfull or coolant in oil.
If oil or coolant in oil it will be milkey or have a coolant color.
Also check transfer case for being overfull.

Then drive it and see if tail pipe smoke clears up.

Let us know what you find and how it goes.
Good luck
Old 03-22-2009, 09:43 PM   #4
disembodiedsoul
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly_fox_xman View Post
I just bought a 1997 Oldsmobile Bravada, and it has a transmission leak. I am putting transmission oil in it until I can get my tax return back to buy a new transmission for it. Today, I started the truck up and poured water into the wiper fluid tank underneath the hood. Next, I noticed that it white smoke was coming from the tailpipe and water as well. The engine also started shaking like it wanted to cut off. I then noticed that the water I put in the wiper fluid tank was gone. Water was on the ground underneath from where the tank was located. The water from the tailpipe was odorless and felt like normal water. A large puddle of transmission oil was underneath the vehicle also. What could possibly be the problem? I don't think its a head gasket. I started it up 2 hours later, and the check engine light was on and white smoke was still coming out, but no water and the engine wasn't shaking.
if you can drive it and check fliud levels, white smoke means water some where.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:29 PM   #5
bcriverman
AF Newbie

If you have a cracked head, you will be low on water in the radiator and will have to add water every couple of days. A cracked head will show symptoms of white smoke (vapor) and even droplets from exhaust pipe.
bcriverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:40 AM   #6
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Welcome to AF.
It takes a little more testing that that to determin a head is cracked.

Alwas check the date on a post and if it is old just let sleeping dogs sleep in peace.
Waking up a sleeping dog can get a person bite.

Good luck.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis