Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
Mjohnson77
AF Newbie

Question Won't move forward but will move in reverse

Hi all. I'm new here and I am having issues with my Lumina. It is a 93 Chevy Lumina Euro 3.1L 6 cylinder and has 192K miles on it. It has had one owner for the past ten years that I know for a fact.

Here's what happened. I was coming back home (2hr trip) The brakes had started making that roaring sound on the way down and had gotten worse when I got ready to make the trip home. Okay so I know the brake pads needed to be changed. No big deal. Well going down the road at 65mph I round a curve and my car starts making this REALLY LOUD grinding clattering noise. It took me forever to get it stopped. I will still in the road and I needed to get it out bc it was right around a curve. So I put it in drive and it wont move. So I put it in reverse and it moves just fine with no problems and no noises made. After backing it out of the road I tried to put it in drive. It moved forward a few inches and stopped like something was binding it up.

So here's the problem.. it will move in reverse with no problems at all and only creeps a couple of inches forward then stops. The harder you press on the gas the more it tries to lurch forward but will not move.. like it's caught on something.

We changed the rear brakes on it. Discovered that the driver side rear rotor and caliper were broke beyond repair so we replaced those too. Still the same.. moves forward a lil bit and stops but will go in reverse just fine. We don't seem to think its the tranny bc it pulls hard and seems to not have any problems pulling.. but its like something is bound up somewhere. That is the best way I know how to explain this situation.

We are at a loss as what to do so any suggestions would be great.

Thank you!
Mjohnson
Mjohnson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: Won't move forward but will move in reverse

See if the front wheels can be turned by hand, jacked up .
Old 02-04-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
Mjohnson77
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwedge
See if the front wheels can be turned by hand, jacked up .
Yes we plan on doing that tonight when he gets home from work. Thank you for your response and I will post what happens when we do this.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:36 PM   #4
Scrapper
AF Premium User

sure your e-brake isn't stuck on because that happens alot it wont go forward but will go backwards?
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:29 PM   #5
Mjohnson77
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper
sure your e-brake isn't stuck on because that happens alot it wont go forward but will go backwards?

How can you tell if its stuck on or not? We depressed it and released it several times to make sure but is there another way to check it?
Old 02-04-2009, 09:45 PM   #6
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Sounds like something in the differential fragged...

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:13 PM   #7
rnewton77
AF Newbie

I know its been awhile, but i am having the same problem in my gmc envoy. Did you ever determine what the problem was?
rnewton77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:01 PM   #8
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast

I had the opposite problem--Lumina would go forward but not backward. With enough throttle, the car would lurch backward a few inches, then lock-up again.

Had one missing bolt in the right front caliper-to-strut bracket. Caliper was sliding up off the rotor in reverse, and the caliper would then jam against the inside of the wheel. Enough torque would get it to pop free, but it'd just jam again.

When driving forward, the torque on the caliper kept it in place--no upward thrust to push it against the wheel. If the other bolt had fallen out, it would have jammed going forward, but been fine in reverse.

A replacement bolt torqued into place, and there's been no problem for so many years I kinda forgot it happened.

No promises on an Envoy. This is a Lumina forum Might want to ask the folks on the Trailblazer or Envoy forums, or better yet, the trailvoy.com forum.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...play.php?f=124

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...play.php?f=178

http://www.trailvoy.com/
For the good of the Free World, DEMAND COMPENSATION FROM CHINA for their release of the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Laboratory, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19). Ten trillion to start with, increasing as needed from there, PLUS compensation for the sickened, and "wrongful death" settlements for the families of those who didn't survive. END trade with Communist China.
Schurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:28 PM   #9
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewton77 View Post
I know its been awhile, but i am having the same problem in my gmc envoy. Did you ever determine what the problem was?
Envoy uses a completely different driveline than Lumina and other W-bodies. A Lumina can exhibit those symptoms when this happens:

While an Envoy can act the same way when this happens:

I've had both, and of the two I would rather have to deal with the longitudinal transmission (Envoy) than the wrong-wheel-drive version.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina