Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LeSabre
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
imidazol97
AF -Advisor

Headliner cloth dropping

I have headline cloth dropping away from the roof in an area about 1 ft. diameter. It's right behind the map lights, from them toward the back. How do I fix it?
Is there a way to glue the cloth back to the support material?

1998 leSabre
170K miles
imidazol97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:38 PM   #2
big white bufflo
AF Regular

Re: Headliner cloth dropping

pull it away from the head liner then spray it with 3m trim foam adhisive let tack then stick back up put light coating to prevent it from bleeding through
big white bufflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:11 AM   #3
rustbucket
AF Regular

You can get plastic screws with big flat heads just for the purpose of holding up the headliner (autozone for instance). They work pretty well.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:56 AM   #4
vulcanman
AF Newbie

I had a few cars that this happened and I used Aqua Net Hairspray. I dropped the headliner around the doors and went on the inside with the hairspray and sprayed the crap out of it and pushed it back into place and never had a aproblem with it again. It does not stain even a light colored headliner and does not smell bad like most adhesives do. You can always use colored thumbtacks and make some pretty cool designs which will hold it up also. I actually made a rebel flag out of them all over the inside of an old Camaro I had years ago. Really!!!
vulcanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

You can replace the headliner for about $12 a yard. $25 will do almost any sized vehicle except vans.

Once the nylon tricot facing starts to separate from the foam backer, it's only a matter of time before it's all gone. It takes a good long afternoon to do it right.

I've never tried the hairspray thing as a temporary fix. Ill have to remember that one.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:53 PM   #6
imidazol97
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bowtie View Post
You can replace the headliner for about $12 a yard. $25 will do almost any sized vehicle except vans.

Once the nylon tricot facing starts to separate from the foam backer, it's only a matter of time before it's all gone. It takes a good long afternoon to do it right.

I've never tried the hairspray thing as a temporary fix. Ill have to remember that one.
Where can someone purchase cloth for the headliner?

I am reading all the suggestions. I am tempted to try slitting the area dropping and spray hairspray or glue in and pressing it up and see how long it lasts. Then I can redo the whole roof if it keeps coming down. I thought smoking was supposed to be a cause of headliner coming loose, but this car has never had any smoking in it since new in Dec. 1997.

I appreciate all the suggestions.

Please add any other ideas.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

Once it starts, it will continue to drop. As mentioned, replacement would be the best option. You can have an experienced upholstery shop replace it and usually save a lot of time & frustration. It is not an easy job and requires experience with fitment & the correct amount of glue, otherwise it will be a wasted effort. I had a PA Ultra replaced a few years ago for $250.00 and it looked original. I have seen some attempts at home replacements and they were marginal at best!

HotZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #8
spinne1
AF Regular

My wife's 92 had a bad case of the drops. I tried the 3m adhesive, but it didn't work for me. I finally got fed up and went to the local pick and pull and found a headliner in perfect condition on a 92 in the same color! (Yes, a bit of a miracle, I know.) Anyhow, I eventually got it out of the car (not super easy!) and then got it into my car (again, not easy.) Then, I installed it in her car with only minor damage to the headliner. It is not really designed to be put in the car when the seats and trim are in place. I did have to remove some trim but not too much. It looks great to this day! And it only cost $10.
spinne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:24 PM   #9
Colorado Kid
AF Newbie

I use my staple gun. Not the prettiest, but better than you'd think, and very long term fix.
Colorado Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:33 AM   #10
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

There are only about 5-6 colors for headliners. Most good fabric stores will have it or can get it. I get mine locally for about $12/yard.

I use a lattice spray contact adhesive and never have a problem.

Remove the visors,clips, coat hooks, dome lamp, and other trims. Pull the headliner down and remove any clips or push fasteners. Cut the new material to fit with a little overlap. Peel the old headliner from the backer. Use a stiff wire brush to lightly remove all the old foam material. Replace any broken clips, then follow the adhesive directions and apply the new material. Roll it into place, and reverse the removal procedure for installation.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:00 PM   #11
homeschool_dad
AF Newbie

I guess it depends on your presonality. My father-in-law has had several cars with the same headliner problem. He simply pulls out the cloth and takes a vacuum cleaner hose and vacuums out the foam. It is surprising how may folks never notice him not having a headliner but would notice a drooping headliner. (If you choose this option, be sure to cover your seats with an old sheet first. The foam pieces get everywhere.)

The foam backing is why they droop anyway. It drys out and flakes off which lets the cloth seperate.

Good Luck!
homeschool_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:35 PM   #12
Jrs3800
AF Enthusiast

Had to redo the headliner on my 95 Bonneville due to the sagging head liner.. I used 1/4" as opposed tot he factory 1/8"

I cleaned all of the old material and foam from the backing board.. Real fun to remove from the car... Then I sprayed half the headliner foam with 3M90 and half the board.... I then went to work... I only did half as I had some strange contours to work around..

Completely covered and reassembled

Even took a stab at doing the Visors... I didn't want the pockets..

Sorry about the Small Pic, But this is what it looked like installed in the car..
Jrs3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:46 AM   #13
imidazol97
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrs3800 View Post
Had to redo the headliner on my 95 Bonneville due to the sagging head liner.. I used 1/4" as opposed tot he factory 1/8"

What do youo mean you used 1/4" as opposed to 1/8"? Is that the foam layer? Where did you get replacement foam and cloth? What adhesive did you use?

Nice writeup. Thanks for the pictures.
The headliner turned out looking great.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:07 PM   #14
Jrs3800
AF Enthusiast

Yes the Foam on the fabric from the factory was 1/8th", the new Headliner was 1/4".. I like the padding a bit thicker and it looks a lot better...

I believe the Fabric cam from Hancock fabric.... The good thing was that they had my Graphite Color and it was a perfect match..

For the Glue I used 3M90 Adhesive... This can be bought at you local Advance iirc.. The 3M is worth every penny when redoing the headliner..
Jrs3800 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LeSabre