Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '88 - '91 Civic | CRX | Wagon | Shuttlee
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
'88 - '91 Civic | CRX | Wagon | Shuttlee Partnership with: LadyNRedSi.com
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 05:08 PM   #1
branman_crx_guy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to branman_crx_guy Send a message via Yahoo to branman_crx_guy
Need Help, battery light comes on during rain

I need some help asap. I was on my way to college tonight and it was raining quite hard at times. And i noticed that my battery light would flicker every few minutes and some times my windshield wipers would go a lot faster than normal and my gauge cluster light would get a lot brighter than normal. I thought it was based on wat rpm i was at, but now i dont think it was, because i revved it up once i got in the parking lot and nothing really changed. Anyways, like 5 min from college it was raining really hard and my battery light started coming on for like a second, every couple of seconds. This seemed to be determined by the rpm tho, cuz when i slowed it down it didnt seem to do it as much. Im just glad i made it here but its still raining and i gotta get home still, and im 45 min away. Anyone have any suggestions as to the cause and wat, if anything i can do to stop it or fix it if my car decides to die. Thanx in advance, and plz hurry, if possible.

Totallin My 89 CRX Si: +$2700
Buyin It Back From Insurance: -$50
Buying a 90 CRX Si: -$2200
Gettin to start over with more money and knowing i screwed insurance w/out trying: Priceless

It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or.........wait, thats been said already. On the road of life there are passengers and......no, thats been done too. Dang, all the good sayings have already been said, ohwell.

-BMan original
branman_crx_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 05:21 PM   #2
Civic Rush
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Civic Rush
hmmmmmmmmmm....thats a good one. A rather new one on me. I would say that it would be some kind of connection that is gettin either wet or moisture is gettin to it. Do you have a CAI or not

Civic Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 05:23 PM   #3
branman_crx_guy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to branman_crx_guy Send a message via Yahoo to branman_crx_guy
yeah, i got a CAI, its aem, in case that matters

Gettin to start over with more money and knowing i screwed insurance w/out trying: Priceless

It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or.........wait, thats been said already. On the road of life there are passengers and......no, thats been done too. Dang, all the good sayings have already been said, ohwell.

-BMan original
Old 03-20-2003, 05:28 PM   #4
Civic Rush
AF Enthusiast

do you have the by pass valve first off. and do you have the inner fenders. also right around where the CAI comes into the engine bay. look there and see if you have any gaps

Old 03-20-2003, 05:30 PM   #5
branman_crx_guy
AF Enthusiast

no, i dont have the bypassvalve. As for the rest, i cant check it right now. are you thinking my engine's getting water? if so, could that be causing the electrical probs? Thanx again in advance

-BMan original
Old 03-20-2003, 05:33 PM   #6
Civic Rush
AF Enthusiast

well what I am thinking is that water is gettin up there and is hitting some that is electrical that is causing a surge. cause you have to rember that just about everything electrical is on that side. But I could be wrong you know. Just my thoughts

Old 03-20-2003, 05:34 PM   #7
branman_crx_guy
AF Enthusiast

Thanx, i appreciate your help. I guess im just gonna have to pray that either the rain stops or my car can make it. If anyone else has anymore suggestions, plz post. Thanx again.;

-BMan original
Old 03-20-2003, 05:36 PM   #8
Civic Rush
AF Enthusiast

no problem man. Let us know how it goes and If you find out what it is let us know. Good Luck

Old 03-20-2003, 06:26 PM   #9
johnb16a2
AF Enthusiast

Do you have all your inner fender splash guards? The alternator belt might be getting wet when you hit puddles and start slipping causing your battery light to flicker. When the belt dries off the belt doesn't slip as much and you get a surge of power causing your lights to brighten and wipers to speed up. That's my guess, good luck.
johnb16a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 06:49 PM   #10
91EF3ZC
AF Premium User

Send a message via AIM to 91EF3ZC
I am gonna go with the belt slipping when it gets wet. The battery light is really a "charging" light. when that light comes on it means that your alt. is not charging. I would check your belt and make sure it is tight and if it might need replacement.
Old 03-20-2003, 06:54 PM   #11
branman_crx_guy
AF Enthusiast

Alright I made it home, but my car broke. Now when i say car, i just mean my headlights, but they're Street Glow....NOOOO!!!! Anyways, when i started my car is started right up, and everything seemed fine (it had stopped raining). I turned on my headlights and then noticed they werent working. So i took em out and inspected up, and sure enough both had blown. Luckily, i had an extra set (boy scouts baby, yeah, gotta be prepared) so i just put them in. So im thinking that a surge had to have occurred, but im nearly positive my splashguard are all in place, but ill check tomorrow. Could it be my distributor cap leaking or would that not cause a surge?

-BMan original
Old 03-20-2003, 06:59 PM   #12
branman_crx_guy
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
I would check your belt and make sure it is tight and if it might need replacement
Actually i did just replace my alt. a couple months ago, but didnt replace the belt. So i guess that could be it. Any idea on how much that'll cost me and/or how hard it is to put on? Thanx, hopefully thats it.

-BMan original
Old 03-21-2003, 03:22 AM   #13
91EF3ZC
AF Premium User

Send a message via AIM to 91EF3ZC
I just did my belt last week, it is real easy to change and will cost about $20 at the dealer.