Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Park Avenue
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 03:28 PM   #1
journeymanmach
AF Newbie

96 PA climate control issue

Have already searched thru previous posts to solve problem with no luck resolving the issue. Am looking for specific help.
I have a 96 Buick Park Ave. with a 3800 engine, and automatic climate control. During some recent work that was done on the car the battery was disconnected without shutting off the ACC. now one side blows out hot the other cold. Seems to work correctly for a very brief period, then temp starts to blink then blend doors position themselves to blow out hot on drivers side and cold on passengers's side, the back vents blow hot and defrost cold. Have tried a couple different procedures with no effect, not sure we are tring the right thing.

Thanks, Mrs. Journeyman
journeymanmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:40 PM   #2
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

Re: 96 PA climate control issue

When the battery is disconnected with the climate control on, your control system will search for the correct position when you start the car. It may take some time, but if you are patient and no faults are found, the system should reset and start working correctly after about 50 ignition cycles.

HotZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:53 PM   #3
journeymanmach
AF Newbie

Thanks for the info. I've already had more than 50 ignition starts. But when I thought about it each time I started the car the ACC was off. Am now making sure that when I start the car it's on.
Mrs. Journeyman
Old 12-11-2008, 07:19 AM   #4
99parkave
AF Newbie

I am having the same problem on my 99 PA only drivers side is cold,just got the car so im not sure if the battery was disconnected or not before I got it,anyway its a pain to keep the windshield clear,would love any help I can get,cause I know nothing about it.
99parkave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:38 PM   #5
99parkave
AF Newbie

I just took mine to the shop,they said it is a flaper actuator under the dash and its a very commom problem 170$ total
Old 12-11-2008, 05:16 PM   #6
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99parkave
I just took mine to the shop,they said it is a flaper actuator under the dash and its a very commom problem 170$ total
The actuator may be a "common problem", but did the dealer remove the glove box to verify that the actuator is not moving the blend door, or did they just tell you that this is a common problem. Did the dealer replace your actuator and if so, is it working correctly? BTW, this system has quite a few "common problems" so be careful what you agree to let a shop/dealer do.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:54 AM   #7
chevygirl_2004
AF Newbie

My 95 PA has the same issue except backwards. The warm air comes out of the drivers side and cold out of the passenger side. On mine there are stoppers that hold the glove box in the open position. I have to release those and reach back in the dash and move an arm that is back there to close the doors. I am going to replace the motor for that soon and see if that help. Our generally only does it if the temp control goes to auto. for some reason that door opens back up and I have to shut it again. I think this is a rather common problem on these cars from what i have read. At least it is for the ones that have the dual climate control. out temp light also flashes and then quits after a few minutes.
chevygirl_2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:42 AM   #8
99parkave
AF Newbie

Yes its working now,heat on both sides,more important defrost on both sides.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:25 AM   #9
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

The typical actuator failure is shown below:

Old 12-13-2008, 03:09 PM   #10
99parkave
AF Newbie

Could anyone tell me exactly where the actuator is located,and what all needs to be removed to get to it thanks

Last edited by 99parkave; 12-13-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:42 AM   #11
bigsky
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99parkave
Could anyone tell me exactly where the actuator is located,and what all needs to be removed to get to it thanks
There are 4 actuators on the 99: Air Inlet, Mode, Driver Air Mix (temp), and Passenger Air Mix (temp).

The Air Inlet Actuator looks to be the hardest to replace.

Recently replaced the passenger actuator on a 99; had the famous "clicking" noise because the actuator motor would keep oscillating after it reached its position (does not hurt anything, just keeps making noise).

Remove right sound insulator/kickplate, glovebox, and Body Control Module (BCM). Can then get at the 2 screws for the actuator. Manual also recommends removing the fuse for the airbags (in underhood fuse center) and disconnecting the yellow jacket wire in the sound insulator (I did not do this or the fuse however).

Driver and Mode are very close to one another. Remove left insulator, aspirator muffler, driver actuator, then mode actuator.

The air inlet actuator is way behind the glove box. According to the manual (yes they sometimes have errors), have to get the fuse/relay center out of the way to access, along with the BCM and AC/Heater Programmer.
bigsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:33 AM   #12
The00Dustin
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsky
Recently replaced the passenger actuator on a 99; had the famous "clicking" noise because the actuator motor would keep oscillating after it reached its position (does not hurt anything, just keeps making noise).
Is this "famous clicking noise" followed by a hiss? Can it continue even when the climate control system is turned off? Does it start out sounding like a loose speedometer cable (yes, I know these cars don't have a cable for that)?
The00Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:44 PM   #13
bigsky
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The00Dustin
Is this "famous clicking noise" followed by a hiss? Can it continue even when the climate control system is turned off? Does it start out sounding like a loose speedometer cable (yes, I know these cars don't have a cable for that)?
Yes...sounds like the same problem. GM issued a service bulletin and they described it as a "tick-tock" sound. Mine continued even when the system was off.

The motor moves the blend door, but then keeps oscillating (slightly moving back and forth) after it reaches its desired position.

This is a different problem from the broken gear inside the actuator. With this problem, the actuator works to adjust the blend door correctly, but then keeps making noise.

The passenger new GM part #89018365, replaces #16163982 (driver side is different). Check e-bay...GM retail $200+ but can save or even get the Dorman version for less. (NOTE: in the GM bulletin their fix was to purchase a $3 spring to install in the cover of the actuator...however, I just purchased the new updated actuator.)

For the passenger actuator, one can drop the glove box (without removing, with the two rubber tabs on the back of the glove box), and observe the actuator to see what it is doing. If the gear is moving, but the temp. is not adjusting, would then probably be the broken gear problem.

Last edited by bigsky; 12-15-2008 at 04:55 AM.
bigsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:20 PM   #14
journeymanmach
AF Newbie

Hey, HOTZ28,
You seem to know alot about this problem with the park avenues. I believe I have had over 50 Ignition starts with the ACC on, still having the same problem. Actuator is working the blend doors just not correctly. After I start the car and run it for awhile I can shut it off then restart it and have heat out both sides for about 15 seconds before the system decides to re-adjust itself. Then temp light starts blinking and cold starts to blow out passenger side. I've read that the newer PA's have 4 actuators, I only know of the one behind my glove box. Had the glove box out, and watched the actuator work the blend doors, doesn't seem like anything is broken. Any other words of wisdom you can give me. I really hate to go to the stealer oops I'm mean dealer. Never sure what they might do.

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2008, 01:31 PM   #15
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

In lieu of a dealer Tech II scanner reset, Click Here for some DIY advice on how to disconnect the blend door actuator rod and reset the actuator position.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Park Avenue