Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 11:00 AM   #1
tessonfire
AF Newbie

2000 Lincoln LS code help! # 302 #141

Can someone help me out please??

I recently purchased a 2000 Lincoln LS from a private owner and when I did, the Engine light was stuck on and she said it was because she swapped out the computer and the only way to get it off was to tear up the dash & she didn't want to do that...ok fine.....

So recently my engine light started blinking along with some hesitation, so I took it to Auto Zone and got a code check, 141 & 302 came up and the guys said I had a Misfire on the #2 sparkplug and something about Bank 1 Censor 2??

I have no idea haha...I just wanted to get some advise and I don't want to get taken advantage of being a clueless GIRL! You know how that is!

What should I do?? THANKS!
tessonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: 2000 Lincoln LS code help! # 302 #141

Welcome to the forum!

The actual codes must have been P0302 and P0141. Misfires on that model year Lincoln LS are pretty common due to valve cover gaskets that allow oil into the spark plug wells and subsequently, an alternate path for the spark to get to the grounded head (rather than the desired path through the spark plug). This misfire is likely the cause for the P0141 as well. If you fix the misfire quickly, it probably will not destroy the Heated Oxygen sensor or catalytic converter.

Is your LS the V6 or V8 model? If the V8 model, the valve cover gasket and spark plug well seals are not that bad to replace. It's a bit more work on the V6 though. You should also plan to replace at least the cylinder #2 coil as well.

You can search this forum for more details on the valve cover gaskets.

-Rod
shorod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:03 PM   #3
tessonfire
AF Newbie

Thank you very much for your help!

I have the V8 model.
I'm sorry, I really don'y know much about cars, so do I just need to replace a spark plug or something else? I want to get this taken care of asap to prevent further troubles! Thanks again.

Tessa
Old 12-03-2008, 05:32 PM   #4
shorod
SHO No Mo

If you are looking to prevent further troubles, you should start by pulling the cylinder #2 coil and spark plug. If there is evidence of engine oil on the coil, your shopping list will be:
-valve cover gaskets (including spark plug well seals)
-coil on plug for cylinder #2 (at a minimum)
-consider spark plugs since you'll be in there.

If there's no evidence of oil on the coil, then you might get by with just changing the coil.

As you're standing in front of your car with the hood open, looking at the engine, cylinder #2 will be the second cylinder from the front (belts) on your left side.

-Rod
Old 12-03-2008, 07:12 PM   #5
tessonfire
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod
If you are looking to prevent further troubles, you should start by pulling the cylinder #2 coil and spark plug. If there is evidence of engine oil on the coil, your shopping list will be:
-valve cover gaskets (including spark plug well seals)
-coil on plug for cylinder #2 (at a minimum)
-consider spark plugs since you'll be in there.

If there's no evidence of oil on the coil, then you might get by with just changing the coil.

As you're standing in front of your car with the hood open, looking at the engine, cylinder #2 will be the second cylinder from the front (belts) on your left side.

-Rod
Thanks a lot Rod! I'll let you know if I have any other questions, you've been really helpful!!
Old 06-10-2009, 10:02 PM   #6
linc00'
AF Newbie

hey there rod i see you know alot about these ls's thats cool im having a problem with the p0302 code. i changed out spark plugs and also put new boots for the coils but my engine is still hesitating i sometimes get the p0303 code for cylinder 3 also i have decided to change the coil for # 2 but do you have an idea why im gettin #3 could it be goin out also?
linc00' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:27 AM   #7
shorod
SHO No Mo

Was there any evidence of oil in the spark plug wells and/or on the coil boots? Which engine does your LS have? For either engine, cylinders 2 and 3 would both be on the same bank of cylinders, so it would not be a stretch to think the valve cover gasket/seals are leaking causing your misfires. Also, the coil housing could have a microcrack and the spark may be going directly from housing to cylinder head, in which case a new coil boot is not going to fix the issue. I'm not sure just the boot would ever actually fix a misfire problem, but rather temporarily mask it. The possible exception being a case where the boot was so saturated with oil that it cannot be cleaned. In such a scenario, if the coil was fine, the valve cover gasket and plug well seals were replaced, then a new boot installed, it may be a long term repair.

-Rod
Old 06-25-2009, 04:26 PM   #8
linc00'
AF Newbie

thanks for thAT info Rod i have replaced both those coils and seems to be workin pretty good there was no oil build up on them
linc00' is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ