Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 07:46 PM   #1
pdigital360
AF Newbie

2006 Rear Defroster

Have an 06 Impala 3.5L. Rear defroster not working, but light comes on at button. Went and replaced relay at under-hood fuse box, but that didn't fix it. Are there any fuses or switches in this system (besides the relay)?
Can anyone thing of anything else I could check? I don't really feel like getting screwed at the dealer for something this small, but it's pretty important for the winter.
pdigital360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: 2006 Rear Defroster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdigital360
Have an 06 Impala 3.5L. Rear defroster not working, but light comes on at button. Went and replaced relay at under-hood fuse box, but that didn't fix it. Are there any fuses or switches in this system (besides the relay)?
Can anyone thing of anything else I could check? I don't really feel like getting screwed at the dealer for something this small, but it's pretty important for the winter.
the rear defroster is a resistor mounted on the rear glass...measure the resistance...if open you will need to find out where its broken....if its small you can use a conductive paint that will get it working again...Ive done this...auto zone had it..it looks like gold paint and it is expensive for the amount you get..

obviously measure for 12volts across the connectors...in/out...not body ground but across this window grid...
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:39 AM   #3
pdigital360
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT
the rear defroster is a resistor mounted on the rear glass...measure the resistance...if open you will need to find out where its broken....if its small you can use a conductive paint that will get it working again...Ive done this...auto zone had it..it looks like gold paint and it is expensive for the amount you get..

obviously measure for 12volts across the connectors...in/out...not body ground but across this window grid...

Checked the resistance, wasnt open, looks good.
Not getting any voltage across the connectors. I'm wondering if there's more to the system than a relay, perhaps a fuse that's not so obvious?

Thanks
Old 12-03-2008, 09:45 AM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Checked the resistance, wasnt open, looks good.
Not getting any voltage across the connectors. I'm wondering if there's more to the system than a relay, perhaps a fuse that's not so obvious?

Thanks
so you lost the feed ..the best thing to do is review the owners manual to check exactly what fuse is feeding this,then see if fuse has 12volts on it..

If this is good then you must trace the wire back...also make sure that the grid wires have a ground on one...MEASURE THE VOLTAGE TO A GOOD METAL GROUND POINT...MAYBE THE GROUND IS THE PROBLEM..
Old 12-03-2008, 10:47 AM   #5
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

There is a TSB on it:

#PIC4684: Rear Window Defogger Inoperative - keywords back defog defrost fixed glass stationary - (Nov 16, 2007

TSB states:
It has been found in some cases that there may be a terminal concern at C200. Inspect terminal D6, circuit 293, for being fully seated in the connector and for proper terminal tension. If there are no concerns with the terminals in C200 continue with the diagnostics in SI

This is inside the big body to Instrument Panel Connector - 40 cavities in this connector - Body wiring harness to the I/P wiring harness, behind the right front kick panel, below the I/P fuse panel

circuit 293 terminal D6 -- Purple wire
Rear Defog Element Supply Voltage

Looks like the Heated Mirror Fuse (10 amp) is your fuse of concern in the underhood fuse / relay center
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
ogre73
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brcidd
There is a TSB on it:

#PIC4684: Rear Window Defogger Inoperative - keywords back defog defrost fixed glass stationary - (Nov 16, 2007

TSB states:
It has been found in some cases that there may be a terminal concern at C200. Inspect terminal D6, circuit 293, for being fully seated in the connector and for proper terminal tension. If there are no concerns with the terminals in C200 continue with the diagnostics in SI

This is inside the big body to Instrument Panel Connector - 40 cavities in this connector - Body wiring harness to the I/P wiring harness, behind the right front kick panel, below the I/P fuse panel

circuit 293 terminal D6 -- Purple wire
Rear Defog Element Supply Voltage
Do you have any more information about the location of this connector, terminal, and circuit? I have a '03 base and I've been without rear defrost for going on 3 years now.
Ogre
ogre73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:20 PM   #7
pdigital360
AF Newbie

This is what happened in case anyone has a similar issue:
Terminal connection D4 at C200 shorted out and melted terminal at C200. Fixed it by splicing and bypassing around C200.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:47 PM   #8
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

The term "shorted out" refers to 12v to ground-

Normally, burnt contacts mean a poor connection that arcs and can't carry the current, the arcing produces heat which melts the plastic connector enough until the circuit is completely open. There was most likely no short involved- this would have blown the respected fuse and led you to the circuit/answer sooner- This was simply an open circuit due to a poor connection.

Glad you found it and posted back your results.
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:37 AM   #9
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
This is what happened in case anyone has a similar issue:
Terminal connection D4 at C200 shorted out and melted terminal at C200. Fixed it by splicing and bypassing around C200.
c200 is a ground point and because these heaters use large current just a small amount of corrosion can cause these poorly designed connectors to fail to maintain the proper electrical continuity...

this post of your findings will help others..thanks for this info..
Old 04-25-2009, 08:38 AM   #10
ezdropper
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre73 View Post
Do you have any more information about the location of this connector, terminal, and circuit? I have a '03 base and I've been without rear defrost for going on 3 years now.
Ogre
I have a 2006 that hasn't had defrost in 2 years. The dealer told me the rear window would have to be replaced. I said, yea right, and decided to live without, but I'd like to get it fixed if I can. I get lights on the dashboard switch but no defrost. Connector is good on the back window, fuses good, no breaks on the back window as far as I can tell visually.

I'd like to get more info as well on the location of the connector(s) to check.
ezdropper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:02 AM   #11
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvbeard View Post
I have a 2006 that hasn't had defrost in 2 years. The dealer told me the rear window would have to be replaced. I said, yea right, and decided to live without, but I'd like to get it fixed if I can. I get lights on the dashboard switch but no defrost. Connector is good on the back window, fuses good, no breaks on the back window as far as I can tell visually.

I'd like to get more info as well on the location of the connector(s) to check.

follow the wires back to to fwd part of vehicle...in the rear door area you should find these other connectors, if burn't/green replace these connectors...use a heavy duty crimp type and tape securely so moisture will not re damage this .....radio shack or an electrical supply store has good connectors to properly repair this..
Old 01-13-2010, 05:52 AM   #12
jakester12
AF Newbie

In what side of the vehicle is this on drivers or pass. . My son is having the same problem. Thanks
jakester12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:21 AM   #13
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakester12 View Post
In what side of the vehicle is this on drivers or pass. . My son is having the same problem. Thanks
follow the proceedure to trouble shoot...measure the heater grid resistance. measure for 12volts...also make sure one side of heater is grounded...then trace back wires for defect using the post info..

the ground issue is common ...
Old 01-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #14
ogre73
AF Regular

Come on, guys. We don't all have the tech manuals for these cars. We don't all work in a garage with access to these documents.
Most of us have a multimeter, soldering iron, crimpers, basic stuff; and enough knowledge to not hurt ourselves.
I have been fighting a battle with my rear defrost for almost 5 years now, finding something to check here or there, when I get the chance, or trying to trace wires when I get a chance, but I still have not fixed this problem with my rear defrost.
I have taken the rear seat out, laid in the trunk, and still I can't really trace the wires back without completely dismantling my wire harness from the trunk forward.
I asked for some help on locating the circuits in question a little over a year ago. All I got was pdigital telling us what circuit and terminal he had trouble with, and now jcat you tell us to trace the wire back.

Would someone please help me (and other future readers of this post) to locate the terminal or wires in question?
Thanks.
ogre73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:43 PM   #15
j cAT
AF Fanatic

so with your meter what did you find..?

the vehicles change from year to year esp. on electrical wiring and ckts..

hard to say were it is exactly and describe the exact location..

if you have the basic tools and know how to use them this is a simple problem..

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS