Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > MX-5/ Miata
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 09:13 PM   #1
...ladies
AF Newbie

Miata insurance for 16 year old.

under parents insurance how much is it going to cost for early 1990 insurance. 90,91,92... and would this be an okay first car?

iv researched alot of typical teen cars. eclipse, integra, prelude. sorta going a different route with the miata but i really like the car.

i'v never actually sat in one but im about 6' 2" is it going to be a problem in this small car?

thanks guys.
...ladies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
Docbass
AF Newbie

Re: Miata insurance for 16 year old.

test page
Docbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:40 PM   #3
Docbass
AF Newbie

Hello Ladies,
Welcome to the forum
as to your question on cost of insurance that is something that your ins. carrier will have to tell you . There are so many factors such as where you live how much driving will be done teen have driver training ,smoker ,driving record for household and even how good your credit is .
Does teen have any kind of record for drugs or drinking minor in possession stuff like that
I will say take max liabilites out , the cost is very little compared to what you can be out in an accident , would carry liability and under and uninsured motorist . We still carry max liability on our cars even with boys gone. WE have someting like a million for injury /500,000.00 for damage and so forth
Having raised four boys and seeing what they did even after having driver training and having rules, I would not go with the miata
It is a good stable car ,holds road very well, easy to work on can usually find other miata owners in your area willing to help do things to it including repairs and limits how many other teens can ride along.
The draw back for a teen it gives way to showing off ,take corners to fast and not as well protected in the event they are in a wreck
We would and did buy our teens old 500 - 800 dollar clunkers maybe a little more got them to school and the movies we lived 11 miles from town and yep every so often we would have to haul one home {they all had pickup one had a car for a while
That gives them some protection . Odds are a teen will have a wreck within the first year of driving ,We did have one make it 18 months. I do know there are alot of kids that don't but far more do
Set some hard rules as to how many can ride in car and clear it with their parents before allowing your teen to give rides been there know what can happen even with permission the liabilty is huge, where and when the teen can go and things like that and stick to it . Take car away for violation of rules times can vary
Make the teen do the up keep minor repairs washing and cleaning and looking up what is wrong with it
Last some teens do drink when away from parent whatever you do make them understand that if they do call you and you'll come get her/him and there will be no punishment {This is one of the hardest things for a parent to do but if that kid is scared to call home the other solution may be a lot worse} leave that door open been there done that
One son hit a light pole at about 12 foot from the ground at about 70 mile an hour grace of the almighty he survived .
Ok off my soap box just wanted to prepare you for a teen driving
Hope this has helped you and anyone else that reads it
Old 09-25-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
...ladies
AF Newbie

Thanks that was helpful although a little scary. i checked some of the things progessive asks for. i'v got the good student bonus 3.5 or above... 3.8 and insurance policy owner (mom) is post graduate working on phd. havent moved. hasn't got in any violations, tickets, so on. so pretty much every discount and option is going good. nobody smokes or has a DUI. clean family. how much should i expect to have to pay my mom a month for insurance? and.. 6' 2" not a factor?
Old 09-25-2008, 09:32 PM   #5
Docbass
AF Newbie

Sorry I cant tell you I really have no idea what the cost will be. Ask Mom to call and get a rate , stay with the largest liability she can get not only for you but raise hers also . If she ever has an accident and is at fault she will be glad she had the max.
Keep me posted as to what you get and please keep the advice I gave in mind when driving .
I will venture to say at least a 100.00 a month minium
Old 09-26-2008, 10:14 PM   #6
...ladies
AF Newbie

ya im trying to go with her to go get a quote on a few cars soon but that stupid hurricane ike messed us up pretty bad all the way in ohio so insurance companys are too swamped -sp?-.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:57 AM   #7
superskittles
AF Newbie

I was 16 last year when I got my miata, they wanted 200 a motnh for full coverage on a 1991 automatic..
so we shopped around, ended up at AAA of texas and got 110 a month.
superskittles is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > MX-5/ Miata