Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Tahoe
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 03:05 PM   #1
shodid
AF Newbie

how to get my fan clutch off!!

Will someone tell me the secret in how to take the fan clutch off without the belt moving so i can change my water pump!! I rented the big wrench for it,but pulley still moves..i even tried useing a 3lb hammer to hit the wrench but it still moved...only if i knew what to do to stop pulleys from moving when i turn the big nut!! someone help!!!
shodid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
muff34
AF Enthusiast

Re: how to get my fan clutch off!!

see if you can rent a strap wrench, remove the belt and put strap wrench in its place
Old 07-18-2008, 06:45 PM   #3
jonnik
AF Regular

If I remember correctly, the big fan nut is a left hand thread.
jonnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:22 PM   #4
wafrederick
Banned

There is a special wrench to use and I hate it.I hate it because it is too thin and breaks real easy.I use an air hammer with a long bit sharpened to a chiseled edge in the end of the flats of the nut.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:49 AM   #5
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

10-4 on the air chisel.
Just do not over do it.
MT
Old 07-24-2008, 09:26 PM   #6
Cusser
AF Regular

I just did this three weeks ago, on my 1994 Suburban, 5.7 liter engine, if that's similar. Leave serpentine belt on, use 1/2 inch or 13mm box wrench to remove the four nuts holding the fan clutch to the water pump, all right-hand (standard) thread (if the whole fan clutch rotates, push down hard on the belt while doing this); the fan stays attached to it. Remove the serpentine belt, make note, see diagrams, take digital photo so you can re-orient it correctly. Loosen and detach the upper radiator hose at the radiator to allow clearance. Ease out the fan and fan clutch as a unit, tilt, whatever. Use a socket (14mm, I believe) and an extension to remove the four water pump bolts, again all right hand thread. Jiggle and pull forward to get the water pump off. I bought lifetime water pump at CarQuest for about $47, and it came with the two small gaskets. I used a torque wrench (30 ft-lbs) to tighten the four water pump bolts. Coolant will leak out if you don't drain it in advance, and just replace with new coolant if it's been used two years. Anti-freeze is toxic to animals who might drink it.
Cusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:17 PM   #7
NoEcm
AF Newbie

Just went through the same thing a few weeks ago.

I had the special tool that bolts to the pulley and still could not get that fan clutch off.

I finally ended up cutting the thing off with a sawzall. I unbolted the fan blade and moved it towards the back before sawing the thing off. I was able to reuse the fan blade but the clutch was toast.

Interesting, after I removed the water pump I clamped the whole thing in a vise. Using a big socket along with an impact wrench, I tried to get that big nut off with no luck. Only after heating the nut with a propane torch, and then using an impact gun, would the nut come off.

What a pain in the butt!!!!!
NoEcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:08 PM   #8
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoEcm
Just went through the same thing a few weeks ago.

I had the special tool that bolts to the pulley and still could not get that fan clutch off.

I finally ended up cutting the thing off with a sawzall. I unbolted the fan blade and moved it towards the back before sawing the thing off. I was able to reuse the fan blade but the clutch was toast.

Interesting, after I removed the water pump I clamped the whole thing in a vise. Using a big socket along with an impact wrench, I tried to get that big nut off with no luck. Only after heating the nut with a propane torch, and then using an impact gun, would the nut come off.

What a pain in the butt!!!!!

this appears to be another area that locktight was used , my transmission drain pan had the lock tight on it ,,,had to get that drain plug glowing red before its grip was broken....pan was off tranny of coarse..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:51 PM   #9
shodid
AF Newbie

Shodid...I apreciate everyones help but I got it off with my air chisel...put is on the nut...first thing I thought...here goes my nuckles!!! but I put a lil pressure on the tool and zip it went...just that easy...dont waste ur time renting a tool it dont work!!!(autozone) Sorry for takeing so long for replying!
shodid is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Tahoe