Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Park Avenue
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 02:21 PM   #1
688i
AF Newbie

Smile 1996 Park Avenue Climate Control

After researching back through page 10, I found out enough information to troubleshoot why my climate control blinks and irratically blows hot air on the passenger side and cold air on the drivers side when it should be cold on both sides. The culprit is the blend damper control actuator at the top of the heater box. I observed it for a while and when it does not move all the way to the left I have my problem as previously described. I can easily move it back and forth through the full range by hand so I believe the gear inside to be broken as so nicely described and pictured on this forum. However I need to verify the part number before I order it. I'm thinking it is 16141822 but "RockAuto" also lists another actuator with # 16124942 that looks identical to the one I need in the pic posted on their site. Can someone please clarify for me. Also thanks to those who have researched this issue previously and posted their results on this site. It has saved me lots of time and money.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:15 PM   #2
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

Re: 1996 Park Avenue Climate Control

If you will notice, you should see the RPO Code (C67) at the end of the description of Part # 16124942 and (CJ2) @ the end of Part # 16141822. This code will tell you what A/C option you have. If you look on the top of the spare tire cover, you will see a SPID sticker with one of the codes listed. Order the one that corresponds to your system code.

BTW, did you observe the movement of the actuator from full-hot to full-cold?

Your SPID sticker should look like the one below, disregard the arrow, that is for the paint code! Notice, this particular SPID list (CJ2) code for the A/C system.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
688i
AF Newbie

Yes I visually verified the actuator moves from full hot to full cold with startup of car and back after turning the car off. It has not messed up while I was observing but can move actuator easily by hand to location that repeats problem. I guess since the gear is broken that sometimes it works okay for a few cycles and then it hangs part way which causes the problem. I have a CJ2 unit so 16141822 is the correct part. Thanks for the help. Now I got to carefully remove the screws with a very small socket using my very big hand as best I can. Are their two screws of 6mm in size? I can only see one.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 688i
Are their two screws of 6mm in size? I can only see one.
I think there are three!

Old 06-03-2008, 09:10 PM   #5
criii
AF Newbie

I have two 98 Park Ave's and I verified a while back that one of them had a busted Actuator. My other 98 was fine.

I fixed the one by leaving it cold all the time which sucked for the winter but I'm in Tucson, AZ so it doesn't really matter since it's hot almost all the time!!! The only thing now is that one side is slightly warmer then the other.

The other 98 has started acting up... IT ONLY BLOWS Air from the windshield vent and the floor. It DOESN'T blow from the Mid Vents. Is this the same problem with the Actuator or something else?
Old 06-05-2008, 03:18 PM   #6
Trihull
AF Newbie

I also have a 1996 PA and the blower only blows at the windshield and floor at the same time. It will not blow in the Mid section regardless if in the Auto or manual mode. I would assume there is some type of actuator that moves a door to the various positions, but I cannot find it.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:57 PM   #7
criii
AF Newbie

I found this on www.GMPARTSDIRECT.com. I'm not sure which part it is or if it's even any of these.

1) Upper case 2) Lower case 3) Evaporator core
4) Evaporator core Seal 5) Filter Air 6) Filter Evap.air
7) Filter Retainer 8) Case Mode valve 9) Valve Blend
10) Valve Defrost 11) Temperature Temperature Right 12) Temperature Temperature Left
13) Valve Mode 14) Air inlet Front 15) Air inlet Rear
16) Air inlet case 17) Actuator Air inlet 18) Heater core
19) Seal Upper 20) Seal Lower 21) Seal Horizontal
22) Seal Tube 23) Heater core Strap 24) Cover
25) Cover Insulator 26) Shield 27) Vacuum harness
28) Drain tube

I also found a separate listing... http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0.

These are the Temperature Actuators but there is no picture. I think these are them because they cost more.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:50 AM   #8
lifesix
AF Newbie

Hey guys,
I too have a '96 PA and the air will not blow thought the mid vents, only floor and windshield. How did you fix your problem?
Old 01-09-2009, 08:07 AM   #9
ghalacsy
AF Newbie

i have a 96 and i was wondering where the actuator is and how to get at it. thanks

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Park Avenue