Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 02:16 PM   #1
Cougiaurmeh
AF Newbie

Cool P0341 Code on Pont. GrandAM 2001 6Cyl 3.2L

My wife's car, a Pontiac Grand AM SE1 2001 6Cyl 3.2L is having a "check engine" light on every now and then, and it's interfering with our safety inspection. The engine runs fine, however. I researched the code and found out it had to do with an intermittent fault on the camshaft position sensor, and found the problem could be anything from a loose wire, to a camshaft sensor, to an element on the camshaft.

So, I think I'll get it diagnosed at a shop, and then fix it myself. Now, does anyone know any good companies that can diagnose for cheap?

I'll return to this thread when the problem is diagnosed because next I need help knowing how to fix it. I learn fast and have an affinity for mechanical stuff, just cars are a tad new to me among other things.
Cougiaurmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Re: P0341 Code on Pont. GrandAM 2001 6Cyl 3.2L

Welcome to AF.

Your engine is a 3.4L.
The sensor wires run behind the power steering pump and go inside the block, I'd check the wires first . To replace this isnt real fun....
Thier's probly a procedure in the Tips and Maintenance sub forum for the testing and replacement.

Good Luck

Oh and I'm not certain aboutt shops in your area.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:19 PM   #3
Cougiaurmeh
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeroinfinity
Welcome to AF.

Your engine is a 3.4L.
The sensor wires run behind the power steering pump and go inside the block, I'd check the wires first . To replace this isnt real fun....
Thier's probly a procedure in the Tips and Maintenance sub forum for the testing and replacement.

Good Luck

Oh and I'm not certain aboutt shops in your area.
3.4..oops. XD So the wires...gah, and I'll have to see if I can borrow the voltage testers from the Ft. Bliss do-it-yourself garage... Okay, so it's by the power steering pump. I'll check it out, thanks!
Old 05-27-2008, 10:11 PM   #4
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Yes it is under the PS pump, kinda hard to see with the pump on, but thier will be a silver metal case over the wires. Like this....

Here is that thread for the cam shaft R&R .
Old 06-02-2008, 03:29 PM   #5
Cougiaurmeh
AF Newbie

Cool Re: P0341 Code on Pont. GrandAM 2001 6Cyl 3.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeroinfinity
Yes it is under the PS pump, kinda hard to see with the pump on, but thier will be a silver metal case over the wires. Like this....

Here is that thread for the cam shaft R&R .
Alright, found a new cam position sensor for the car, and with my military discount got it for $42 cash, contrasted to some other places that charged $60-$86. Got a foot-long needlenose pliars for $6, and am taking the car to the Ft. Bliss Do-it-yourself car garage on wednesday. I see exactly what you mean about the sensor's location. Hey, at least it's not any harder than moving the car steering reservoir to get a better view, and I now have the 'fingers' necessary to reach that narsty bitch and get 'er replaced in time.

Question. After I unclip the steering fluid reservoir fastener from below, will I encounter any problems moving the black-plastic reservoir out of my way? Just making sure, and I have 2 days till the shop opens. opcorn:

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM