Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > Eldorado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
hdxjs
AF Newbie

WET Carpet '99 Eldorado

I got caught in a heavy rain storm the other day and had water coming in on drivers side just to the left above brake pedal.Any suggestions
Thanks
Clancy
hdxjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:01 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: WET Carpet '99 Eldorado

Water leaks can be very difficult to detect because water can run down internal structures and drip a distance away from where the actual source of the leak is.

I would suggest run both front seats all the way back and get right under the dash, on the floor if you can, and look up under the dash with a good flashlight.

Have a buddy run a garden hose over the outside front of the car. Focus on the fresh air vent intake, just in front of the windshield, and around the windshield frame itself.

The idea here is to move the hose slowly over specific areas while you look for a leak. Hopefully you can find the specific source for the leak and address it. You may be able to seal the area with automotive silicon, depending on the leak You might have to remove the outside air vent intake grill or trim to get to the leak.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:46 AM   #3
hdxjs
AF Newbie

Thanks,I'll try it, but I don't know if that will work.I have drove in rain several times and never had a problem.The time it did leak it was one of those where you actually think about pulling over. I will try the hose and see if I can find the leak.Thanks
hdxjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:18 PM   #4
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Well, they shouldn't leak at all, regardless of how heavy the rain is. However, if you do not get anywhere with a hose, try the car wash. If that will not produce a leak, you are probably okay without a repair.

If you can, lift up the carpet, especially at the front where the rug ends under the dash. Feel the underpad and see if it's wet. If it is, you might want to pull up the rug for a couple of days for the underpad to dry out.

If those pads get wet, they'll take weeks to dry on their own, all the while promoting floor rust and mold.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > Eldorado