Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > AF in General > Hot and Not
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Hot and Not Express your opinion about this site here. Any comments, good or bad, are welcome.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 03:21 AM   #1
oldblu65
AF Fanatic

missed opportunities ? (resolved)

I am a registered member of many automotive forum web sites . I discovered this site a few months ago and thought it was , perhaps , the most complete site I had seen . But two things puzzle me about AF . First of all , no one indicates their location ? I don't suggest you list your home address , but , it would be nice to know a member's general location in the world . Also , many (most) of the threads are very outdated ( as in 3 - 4 years old ) and I can't understand why the traffic is so slow on this site ? Can anyone give me a reason ? This site has huge potential and I can't understand what the problem is ? Do my observations make sense or am I missing something ?
oldblu65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:33 PM   #2
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Re: missed opportunities ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblu65
I am a registered member of many automotive forum web sites . I discovered this site a few months ago and thought it was , perhaps , the most complete site I had seen . But two things puzzle me about AF . First of all , no one indicates their location ? I don't suggest you list your home address , but , it would be nice to know a member's general location in the world . Also , many (most) of the threads are very outdated ( as in 3 - 4 years old ) and I can't understand why the traffic is so slow on this site ? Can anyone give me a reason ? This site has huge potential and I can't understand what the problem is ? Do my observations make sense or am I missing something ?
Members, who choose to, can put their location in their profile. Just click on their member name and a drop down box appears. Click on 'View Member's Profile' and you can see some information they chose to share with everybody. I know other forums sometimes list the city of the member under their member name, but here it's a in their profile.
The traffic is definitely not slow on this site. We have hundreds of new posts everyday. On the main forum page on the left side towards the bottom is box with site statistics. You can see the thread, post and member count increase everyday. This is such a large site, and we cater to just about every make and model available. That also means that some forums don't see as much action as others do. What forums do you visit that you notice a lot of old threads? Perhaps the interest in these vehicles is not as much( low ownership figures or out of production for quite awhile perhaps?) or owners are not aware we exist, hence the older content of threads. Another possibility is that many times newbies come to the site and search for a thread that addresses their issue. Another possibility that may occurring is that some old threads may be being resurrected by newbies. Many times, new members come to the site looking for answers. They scroll through the threads present and may come across an older thread that deals with their issue. They then post in that thread , and that action brings the old thread to the top of the forum. We frown upon that and would rather have that member start a new thread to deal with their issue(s). When the Moderators come across this situation, we warn the member and then close the thread from further posting and resurrection.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:39 PM   #3
Dheeruyadav
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by '97ventureowner
Members, who choose to, can put their location in their profile. Just click on their member name and a drop down box appears. Click on 'View Member's Profile' and you can see some information they chose to share with everybody. I know other forums sometimes list the city of the member under their member name, but here it's a in their profile.
The traffic is definitely not slow on this site. We have hundreds of new posts everyday. On the main forum page on the left side towards the bottom is box with site statistics. You can see the thread, post and member count increase everyday. This is such a large site, and we cater to just about every make and model available. That also means that some forums don't see as much action as others do. What forums do you visit that you notice a lot of old threads? Perhaps the interest in these vehicles is not as much( low ownership figures or out of production for quite awhile perhaps?) or owners are not aware we exist, hence the older content of threads. Another possibility is that many times newbies come to the site and search for a thread that addresses their issue. Another possibility that may occurring is that some old threads may be being resurrected by newbies. Many times, new members come to the site looking for answers. They scroll through the threads present and may come across an older thread that deals with their issue. They then post in that thread , and that action brings the old thread to the top of the forum. We frown upon that and would rather have that member start a new thread to deal with their issue(s). When the Moderators come across this situation, we warn the member and then close the thread from further posting and resurrection.

hey can we have some section where we can make suggestion or have some free discussion about any topics apart for cars.
Dheeruyadav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:38 PM   #4
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dheeruyadav
hey can we have some section where we can make suggestion or have some free discussion about any topics apart for cars.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...play.php?f=664 <--try this.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > AF in General > Hot and Not