Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 11:45 AM   #1
andyrooney
AF Newbie

Lower gas mileage

I currently own a 2004 Xterra 2wd, auto and I have noticed a significant decrease in gas mileage. Relative to about a year I ago I believe I was getting right around the norm for highway miles, say 20-22 or so. But now I am only getting about 16.5 and thats with cruise, almost all highway at 70 mph. Which I think is not where it should be. Obviously I didnt buy this car for gas mph but noticing the significant drop concerns me and I would like to get it fixed. I first noticed the problem last summer when I took a trip and I got a wopping 15 mpg. That was a fun 5 fillups over the whole trip....

Anyways I have done all the "known" gas mileage killers, the spark plugs, air filter, plugs, fuel treatment etc. and its gone up to 17. Does anyone have suggestions on what else it could be? Fuel injectors need to be replaced? Any suggestions would be awsome!!

04 Xterra V-6 Auto 50,000 miles 2wd
Live in Dallas so medium to heavy traffic and no mountains or snow :P
andyrooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
davidx2000
ChevyK1500/Chrysler T/C

Re: Lower gas mileage

Try cleaning the Mass Air Flow Sensor with cleaner that is designed for this job. Check out your auto parts store for a can. Will run about $5 bucks!

Just a suggestion!
davidx2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:19 PM   #3
chubbybubba1
AF Regular

Re: Lower gas mileage

You didn't mention that you changed the fuel filter. Also, the best over the counter fuel injector cleaner is BG 44K. Tire pressure needs to be addressed as well. What about oil change intervals? Where are you at on that. And quit picking up 300 lb. hitchikers!
chubbybubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail