Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Envoy
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 07:49 PM   #1
arcticman141
AF Newbie

programming door module??? 2002 Envoy

After several days of a clicking sound coming from the door panel in my 2002 envoy, and the windows and lock switches not working until the vehicle was warm and the clicking sound going away, I lost all power from the switch panel with the window rolled down. After some trouble shooting I have concluded that the control module needs to be replaced. The dealership says that after installing a new one, it needs to be reprogrammed. I am wondering if I can install a used one myself and skip all the extra charges involved with a new module, or if a used working part will also have to be reprogrammed. and if so I am interested in what exactly is being programmed? any and all information will be greatly apprecieated. Thanks
arcticman141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
brian 1
AF Regular

Re: programming door module??? 2002 Envoy

if you put a new or used it has to be programmed,no real way around it.here is why,a little info.The power window system will operate anytime the retained accessory power (RAP) system is active or when the ignition switch is in the ACCY or ON position.
The DDM contains 4 power window switches which are integral components. Closing any of the normally open, rocker type switches provides the DDM with a request for power window operation. The switches for the 2 front windows have 3 positions Up, Down and Express Down, while the switches for the rear windows have only 2 positions, Up and Down. Each of these switches and their positions is a direct input into the DDM. Upon receiving a request for power window operation, the DDM, transmits a class 2 message indicating the switch and it's changed position.
The PDM contains a single power window switch that is an integral component. Closing of this normally open, rocker switch provides the PDM with a request for the front passenger power window operation. The switch for the front passenger window has 2 positions Up and Down. Each of these switch positions is a direct input to the PDM.
The 2 rear passenger doors have there own switches. Each of the switches contain a power window up and down relay. A switch activation alone can control the up and down functions of the rear windows. However the BCM, upon receiving a class 2 message from the DDM, can control the set of relays which will activate the rear window motors.the reason it has to be programmed is because both driver and pass window switches(driver and pass door module)have to see inputs from the bcm to work.the bcm will not see an input from the bcm if pass or driver module is not programmed.hope this info helps.
brian 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:26 AM   #3
Pricexray
AF Newbie

I am having the same problem. The clicking and working not working. Did you get new or used? Shouldn't a used one already be programmed? Does the programming have to be done by the dealer?
Pricexray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:05 PM   #4
brian 1
AF Regular

to answer your question pricexray the dealer has to program the module no way around it.if you get a used one it is programmed.(to the vehicle it came off of)read my post.the vehicle has to read the vin from the bcm,to do that it has to be programmed.if you replace the module without programming it you will not fix the problem.
brian 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:49 AM   #5
Electromek
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Electromek

We manufacture the DDM for the Envoy but I wasn't intimate with the programming in our large company. I asked the head software engineer about your discussion and have attached his reply, which confirms the info given by Brian.

Al's response:

GM does usually prohibit anyone (other than GM trained mechanics) from using replacement parts (from Wrecker or new from dealership).

GM has us store the VIN in the DDM and PDM, and if there is a mismatch, it is non-functional. Using a GM tool you should be able to get a New Dealer part functional, but never a part from the wreckers, unless you have a Serial Programmer to erase the EEPROM.

Al
Engineering Supervisor - Software
Electromek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:01 AM   #6
Electromek
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Electromek

Brian, I see you are a GM tech on your profile. I was impressed with your explanation above concerning door modules.
Are you familiar with any problems concerning a 2002 Envoy low oil pressure message coming up? In particular, right after the vehicle gets off the highway. We just got our company Envoy back from the dealer last week for this complaint. They said low oil switch not responding and replaced, part # 12603780. Another employee just complained of the low oil pressure message since the vehicle was supposedly fixed. Vehicle has 90,000Km or 60,000 miles.

You can email direct at kevinclark@invotronics.com if you wish

Thanks
Kevin
Electromek is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Envoy